Boat trailer issue.

3tt3v

Founding Member
Founding Member
When using bearing buddies jack up the wheel off the ground and spin it while you are giving it shots of grease. Quit when you feel resistance on your grease gun pump. Nothing wrong with bearing buddies you just have to know how to do it correctly. They aren't the answer if you need your bearings packed!
Bearing buddies do not work on these kind of hubs. The center oil cap screws off, whats left of the oil comes out, take it apart, inspect, probably install new bearings and seal, then put all back together, fill cap with the lucas lube, screw cap on, check level in a bit and you are done. You tube can also be your friend. NO GREASE IN THESE TYPE OF WHEELS. Good luck with the project

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
How long have oil bath for boat trailers been on the market ? I'm guessing if we run them long enough we will all experience the physics behind the egg video. I have them on one boat trailer and when the inside seals fail one by one they will get replaced with bearing buddies . The difference is over 50% air volume VS only enough room in a grease pack for a drop or two of water displacement.
I haven't replaced a grease packed trailer bearing in 40 years but I grease my hubs when they are warm, Usually right before I back them in the water . I already changed the milky oil in one oil bath hub and will watch it close since I don't know how long it had been that way or how the water got in there. Just my luck and 2 cents worth.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
oil bath certainly are not the end all -- you may not have to deal with them for a while -- although you will have a bearing failure when they leak. Fine if you only have a couple miles to the ramp. But if your making a 300 mile trip - you boat will be parked along the highway (visions of some guy crawling around in your boat getting your crankbaits).

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i had turbo lube hubs on a boat trailer bout 15 years ago when they first came out - slick deal - for a while... i had 2 of the caps on the front crack, and also had a bad seal on the inside of 1... i went back to analog with solid dust caps and check/tighten them once per season and repack every other year... the repack takes bout 2 beers and you will not have to worry anymore...

when i looked at the new nitro they had a newer version of the turbo lubes with some insane statement bout not needing service for 80,000 miles... 3 of the 4 are leaking already after running ~ 3000 miles...

i'll have new old fashioned hubs and bearings and solid dist caps on by freeze up...

if it ain't broke - don't fix it...

- - - Updated - - -

my take on bearing buddies - if you know how they work you're fine... if you don't and keep adding grease to a sealed system, you're gonna have trouble... realize that there is nowhere for the grease to go, and very little of it evaporates... add too much and you will blow out your rear seal...

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
What do solid dust caps have to offer raider ?

- - - Updated - - -

if it ain't broke - don't fix it...

I like that motto.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bearing buddies do not work on these kind of hubs. The center oil cap screws off, whats left of the oil comes out, take it apart, inspect, probably install new bearings and seal, then put all back together, fill cap with the lucas lube, screw cap on, check level in a bit and you are done. You tube can also be your friend. NO GREASE IN THESE TYPE OF WHEELS. Good luck with the project
Yep i know that.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have oil-bath hubs on a tandem axle flatbed at work. It is not maintenance free. It's close to idiot-proof, but not entirely...

I'm hoping my oil bath system will work on one of my other trailers, They would be the cats ass if you didn't have to submerge them in cold water when they are warm.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm hoping my oil bath system will work on one of my other trailers, They would be the cats ass if you didn't have to submerge them in cold water when they are warm.

I don't know a lot about them, but they're not exactly maintenance free. We have a sister-company that makes goose-neck and bumper flatbeds, and... I hear things.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yea that could be, I've only had these for one summer and was relating them to semi trailers and steering axles on big trucks, Those are about as trouble free as you can get but like anything else you have to watch for issues before you have troubles.

defiant1

Honored Member
I knew buying an 03 would have issues eventually, but here is the first one.

You can see where my finger is at that that cap is loose.

I am late to the party, but figured I would extend any help I can. I just rebuilt (bearings, races, seals) 3 out of 4 Oil Bath hubs on my 2002 Ranger Trail trailer. I recommend purchasing new center caps/hubs. They fit better than the originals. Additionally, I used Gear Oil RTV instead of the useless O-ring to seal the cap when you tap it into position.

At any rate, if you want to pick my brain shoot me a PM.

d1

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member

Fish only at boat ramps where the line is 5 Minot'ers deep and your hubs will have plenty of time to cool before you get them wet.

Sorry, I just had to pick on someone!

- - - Updated - - -

Or Fargan's. There, that should suffice in pissing off someone.

I must be bored with the damn weather.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79