Watch Your Dog...

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Pre-condition? My dog "pre-conditions" year round unless its above 80 or below -10.

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
Train your dog to drink out of a water bottle is good, but I also have a bottle with a little dish built into the lid. Pop the top open, pour water into the self contained little dish. Anything the dog doesn’t drink goes back into the bottle. Less waste and less weight for us old farts to carry! Use it in the Arizona heat all the time.
Some say a dark colored dog absorbs heat from the sun more than light colored ones, but a lot of dog trainers and vets dispute that.
Chocolate sensitivity varies from species to species but generally is not good in any case! Grapes, onions, garlic, macadamia nuts, etc.
A tiny pinch of plain old salt in water is adequate, just don’t overdo it. Salty dog treats or small amounts of dog food help too, but not too much before running them or you risk gastric torsion!
Above all, condition your dog well before the season, like we all should be doing to ourselves! It’s not just dogs that drop dead on the opener!!

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
. "Dogs don't lose electrolytes the way ahuman athlete does by sweating. You may actually increase dehydration with electrolytesupplementation."Dr. Reynolds reminds trainers to follow the regime he recommends very carefully.

Yep I got that from reading article. How did you not?

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I thought that article had several good points that all made sense and are useful. Several of you have shared things that work for you, and that is good because it has given me some good information to use. Everyone that has a dog trains different and does things different from the next guy. Doesn't necessarily mean one is right and one is wrong. I just wanted everyone that has a dog and hasn't had a chance to get it out yet to make sure the dog is ready and you are prepared. That is the first experience with a heat related issue that I have ever witnessed and it was something I don't want anyone else to experience if you haven't already.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
. "Dogs don't lose electrolytes the way ahuman athlete does by sweating. You may actually increase dehydration with electrolytesupplementation."Dr. Reynolds reminds trainers to follow the regime he recommends very carefully.

Yep I got that from reading article. How did you not?

I am not talking gatorade --- we have experienced older dogs in the field going down due to cramps --- you can use the stuff from cabelas or salt water - we choose to use the cabelas stuff --- they like it - and they dont go down - night and day vs. not using anything. I dont give a shit what the internet says.

When your in the field - you may call a shorthair rangey and all the BS --- but the bottom line is he or she is covering 10X the miles of the other dogs.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Dogs in boats can also have heat problems. Its a hell of a lot hotter on the floor of your deep hull big water boat.

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Read the article and have heard a lot of the same things regarding when to feed your dog but the major takeaway was for 'water loading' with a 1% glycerol solution. Sounds like a good in theory but I don't think I am wanting to fix something that is not broken right now. Anyone else here every 'water load' their pup before a hunt?

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
This is perfect. Comes in different sizes. Clips to belt or lanyard. 3EB72D77-C14D-4FF3-8CE1-9A7ED8C678C9.jpg

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
Use it hunting, hiking, birding, bicycling, camping boating, airplane and auto traveling....not skydiving or scubadivong yet! E=en my smartest-dog-in the-world won’t do those last two yet.Hah! But Handy as heck!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 75