Yamaha vs Suzuki 9.9 tiller

Liff

I have a 2004 ranger 620vs with 225hp yams motor. looking at adding 9.9 hp tiller and am debating between Yamaha and Suzuki. also adding troll master pro 3+. anybody have some free advice?? thanks

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Suzuki simply because they offer EFI. This is coming from a person who owns a Yamaha 9.9 that’s been flawless.

DerHornen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I own a Suzuki 9.9 and I've fished with others who have Yamaha T8's and 9.9's. In my opinion the Yamahas of both sizes are a bit smoother and quieter, but as with all small carbed motors they can occasionally be a little fussy getting started when they're cold and the carb jets can get clogged if you have fuel quality issues or don't run them much. I have no complaints about my Suzuki so far, and I like that I can pull start it in one or two pulls if my main motor and batteries are on the fritz. They're also less expensive than Yamaha.

Mercury came out with a 15hp EFI kicker not too long ago, but I have no first hand knowledge of them.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is a rewind starter an option that you can include with most kicker motors ? I don't think mine even has a notch in the flywheel for a rope. Lost ground over the years in engineering in that department. Not that I want to use a pull rope but it would sure be a feeling of security to know you have a way to start the kicker and charge batteries or troll back to the ramp in case something else fails.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tohatsu has an efi 9.8 now. So I am assuming if want a branded tohat in Merc or Evinrude u should have option to get efi soon.

- - - Updated - - -

Battery-less Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI) operation

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
battery-less efi has been in motocross bikes since 09 so I would think outboards would be everywhere by now. weird.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
my suzuki 9.9 is louder than my 350... had to have the blades on the prop sharpened also because it created a harmonic issue that was horrible to listen to, much quieter now but it's still much louder than a lot of kickers

Liff

How old is your suzuki 9.9? 4 stroke? What mount mount did they use for the kicker? R u having trouble with ur solix 12? I have a 12 si. Mine has been screwed since day 1 (last may). Depth and bottom bounces all over. Been on phone with humminbird for hours and haved tried everything. Finally the last month or so they are saying a software update is coming but they don't know when. Wow!! My lowrance buddies r having a field day. Going to demand a new unit when they finally get it fixed.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
my whole boat is new, got it end of june. solix 12 got shipped back to bird because the touch screen stopped working, other than that no problems. kicker is 2018 and no mount for the kicker, warrior transom is setup for it.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do not have a kicker and have little experience with them but why are these small motors so damn loud?

DerHornen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do not have a kicker and have little experience with them but why are these small motors so damn loud?

So I am a mechanical engineer but I don't specialize in small engines or accoustics. That said, I think the thing with kicker motor noise is that they are very small displacement engines that only have two cylinders. There are vibration and harmonic balance issues with only two cylinders, and they're set up in small packages that don't allow for much sound damping. Couple that with the fact that a kicker has to run at relatively high RPM to move at any modest speed and they can't be all that much quieter than they are. Still, my Suzuki EFI, with all its benefits, is definitely not as quiet as the carbed Yamaha and Mercury (Tohatsu) motors. I still like the easy starting, especially in a big motor won't fire scenario, but it would be nice if it idled as smooth and quiet as the yammi.

Liff

I think I will wait and see if Yamy comes out with a 9.9 EFI in 2019, I don't need it that bad and my wife says it will look better- happy wife= happy life.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76