Pheasant Shape.................

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey Guys, just a friendly reminder that there's just over 30 days until pheasant season and it might be a good idea to get your dogs out and running a bit so when that opening day rolls around they aren't finished after 2 hours of running. I'm going to use grouse season as an excuse to get Herc out. Lord knows we BOTH could use the conditioning. Carry On!!!!

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hounds and I run 3.5-5 miles three days a week. They're both older, so "in shape" is relatively speaking. But after goose hunting last weekend I can tell they're both in fine condition, all things considered. We won't really target ditch parrots until November-ish, so there's plenty of duck hunting and whatnot to get them fine tuned. LOVE THIS TIME OF YEAR!!

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Me and a couple buds are heading to blue plate country Saturday for a pheasant farm shoot. I have been trying to get the dog out as much as possible so we shall see this Saturday how well or poorly I did...I know I am out of shape!! haha

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
"ROOSTER!!"....If the PE classes aren't making too much noise I can hear the cackle of a rooster taking flight...and if I stay away from the stench of the locker room (man football season is terrible!) I can smell burnt powder of a spent shotgun shell. Just wish I had a few more pheasants to chase in my part of NE. Have to drive a few hours to get into good numbers...which I will gladly do! Even contemplating taking my son and daughter up to SD if we can find some places to hunt with decent bird numbers.
I'm with KDM on using grouse season to help get the dogs in shape...and dove season to help me get the kinks worked out of my sometimes (actually most of the time) questionable shooting ability! :) When I miss a bird I just tell myself its like catch and release fishing...gotta leave some seed for next year!

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
I’m lucky that my dog loves running beside the 4 wheeler and my bicycle in ND and AZ in winter so she racks up hundreds, if not a thousand plus miles each year. And loves swimming, for hours on end. The main tune up I have to do is a little work with her staying in close and retrieving to hand (not drive by dropping) when the guns are going off and the pheasants are cackling. Gets pretty excited. I try to start this in early summer with pigeons and the occasional pen raised bird a bit.
Im old and can hardly keep up with my little bundle of energy these days, though luckily she’s getting a bit older, too.

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mine put on a few pounds over the summer but was able to swim every weekend and will bike/run with me a few times a week so he is in fair condition. He could use a little more cardio but then again I could use a lot more. Going to be a great fall

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m in pheasant shape been rolling my window down lots lately and my finger is in pretty good shape.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74