Hurricane Evacuation

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Watching the coverage of the hurricane this morning and had a few thoughts. Why is this such a huge news event, not seeing anything that you don't see in all big hurricanes. Deserves some coverage but this is a little much. Especially the reports standing in the weather.

Heard one report stating that they were responding to "calls to be rescued", I had to wonder is it actual citizens calling to be rescued or authorities asking for help. My conspiracy theory app says ask for help, make your plea big and bold, score more federal relief help.

And the reason for starting a thread, would you evacuate? I have no knowledge or experience with coastal living but leaving your home and belongs must be tough. I would think each individual evaluates their particular situation and chooses. But one guy on the news is / was in a condo, they are on the second floor, with ground floor garage half full of water. So this fella says no worries, we have 4 floors so we can go higher. I have only had one cup of coffee but if the foundation gives out.... Anyway what would you do?

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Me myself would never live there. If its cold I just put on more clothes or turn the heat up. If its hot I turn the air conditioner temp down or just take more clothes off. The few storms we get in the summer isn't a problem for me. Its kind of like tornado ally, why live there?

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I was pretty sure that no water would be flowing into my home, I would stay. I'd have a generator, and plenty of food and water and ride it out.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Me myself would never live there. If its cold I just put on more clothes or turn the heat up. If its hot I turn the air conditioner temp down or just take more clothes off. The few storms we get in the summer isn't a problem for me. Its kind of like tornado ally, why live there?

I guess weather events is not a top criteria in determining where to live. But I hear what you are saying, I don't have any issues with the weather here, although I am despising hail more each year.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
It would be an ok place to live, but my home would be high ground, my ground floor would be poured concrete, my upper stories would by framed 2X6 which my garage is and anything I have built since buying my house. With the storm warnings my boat would be sitting in the back yard, tarp on, released from the trailer, and tied to something high and strong. Then I would wait. With a shotgun loaded, generator running, and portable dish on the roof. The way it is I have enough food in the house for at least two to three weeks. It should be for two to three months. I will need to solve that shortage.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Watching the coverage of the hurricane this morning and had a few thoughts. Why is this such a huge news event, not seeing anything that you don't see in all big hurricanes. Deserves some coverage but this is a little much. Especially the reports standing in the weather.

Because they have to make it look dramatic on 24 hour news/weather stations.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yea when the storm had an unexpected weakening things seemed to lose their entertainment value. 40"+ rain in some places over the next few days is mainly the story. We'd be in a world of hurt. Imagine when we make sure we put a few things in the garage to make sure they don't blow away when a storm if coming, there is none of that in a big city. Even at 50 mph through those buildings all sorts of nasty things are playing pinball down the streets. When looking at the wind totals though it makes us look at the power of our own straight line winds we get in the summer and respect our storm a bit more. Anyway takling to some tech support guys in Charlotte yesterday they we making sure they shipped the parts I needed ASAP before the hurricane slowed down shipping. They were mostly out of the danger zone but are going to be soaked for a few days. They put in a full day yesterday, I said stay dry and drunk, the guy said..."Way ahead of ya buddy". ;:;rofl

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Once you lose water, electricity, and sanitation, you've lost the ability to "live there" nowadays. Natural disasters like these are the breeding ground of significant outbreaks of things like dysentery and other diseases that can kill people (bigger issue in other countries though). One should seriously consider leaving, there will be National Guard and increased law enforcement to help control looting, but in the end it's just all material crap that can be replaced. Much easier to just evacuate and come back as services come back online.

Personally, I'd leave and go on vacation somewhere. I lived in GF during the 1997 flood, so I just went home and helped on the farm for a few weeks and then spent another few weeks in the Black Hills before going back and spending the rest of the summer helping a friend rehab some of his rentals.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I was pretty sure that no water would be flowing into my home, I would stay. I'd have a generator, and plenty of food and water and ride it out.

I have a couple uncles in the Houston area - one fairly close to the coast in Friendswood who said they had the same approach until they did it. Obviously survived without injury but said it was a miserable couple days.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
The sad thing is, people want to tough it out and stay. Then when thing go bad for them, people have to go in and rescue them and put there lives in danger. Its hard for first responders to say no.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Once you lose water, electricity, and sanitation, you've lost the ability to "live there" nowadays. Natural disasters like these are the breeding ground of significant outbreaks of things like dysentery and other diseases that can kill people (bigger issue in other countries though). One should seriously consider leaving, there will be National Guard and increased law enforcement to help control looting, but in the end it's just all material crap that can be replaced. Much easier to just evacuate and come back as services come back online.

There was weather guy earlier that was texting with a lady that stayed and she said once it was about to hit the looters showed up and the cops were right behind them. I'd have a hard time not being extra pissed if I was a cop going out there.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
These weather people make it look so bad by standing in water or by a downed tree or some sign that blew over, let's see them dumb asses stand out in a snow storm until they are up to their neck in snow, they would be froze stiff just a Pheasant hiding behind a tumbleweed

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess weather events is not a top criteria in determining where to live. But I hear what you are saying, I don't have any issues with the weather here, although I am despising hail more each year.

weather events were a decision in where I chose my house, it had to be high enough above the water table / far enough from a river that it would be nearly impossible to flood.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
far enough is on top of a hill overlooking it... not in a housing development named "the meadows" outside burlington next to the river... learn what a meadow really is in nature!

watson

Founding Member
Founding Member
weather events were a decision in where I chose my house, it had to be high enough above the water table / far enough from a river that it would be nearly impossible to flood.

Or move to Fargo and expect everyone upstream and surrounding areas to cover ur ass

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
But one guy on the news is / was in a condo, they are on the second floor, with ground floor garage half full of water. So this fella says no worries, we have 4 floors so we can go higher. I have only had one cup of coffee but if the foundation gives out.... Anyway what would you do?

That's fine, until the electrical boxes in the basement short out and start the 3 floors below you on fire like what happened in downtown Grand Forks in '97.

Grand Forks flood of '97 was an astronomically cheap (for me) and exceptionally valuable life lesson. I was in my 4th year of college, I had 2 roommates in a 3 bedroom house. I packed up my guns, fishing rods and enough clothes for 2 weeks and drove to Bismarck and moved back in with my parents for a week until the general public was allowed back into Forks. I literally lost nothing, heck, work even paid me my avg weekly salary even though they had no obligation to do so and I didn't have any paid vacation as a part-time worker at the time. A few things off the top of my head that I learned:

1. Short of having your own well, it's nearly impossible to have enough CLEAN water to function for very long.

2. It's also very difficult to have enough fresh/stable gasoline on hand to keep a gasoline powered generator going for very long.

3. When electricity goes out, nobody accepts checks or credit cards for payment, you'd better have some cash. A buddy who owned an "essential business" ended up driving over 100Mi round trip just to find an ATM that still had cash.

4. For relatively healthy adults, food isn't all that big of a deal. Short of food allergies, a person can cook a lot of food on a gas or charcoal grill, and, most people can get by on an awful lot less than they eat every day anyway. You don't make it very long at all though without clean water.

5. Let's say that you have water, food, shelter, and even a generator figured out for at least 1mo with no mistakes. You're still in the middle of a natural disaster with virtually no emergency services. Do you have enough of any medication you routinely take? What are you going to do if lightning or a sparking transformer light some fuel/oil floating on flood-water and your house with all of your supplies catches fire?

6. Have you positively protected yourself from sewer backup?

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Spots in SC are still expected to get 10+ inches of rain, glad I don't live in Spots.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lt. Dan would ride that bitch out on the Jenny and he doesn’t have legs can’t be that tough

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
SDMF knows of what he speaks.

Hell, it doesn't even take a hurricane to put a person on the edge of sanity. A few years ago there was an ice storm out in the west/central part of the state. I remember reading a news article about a farm family that had to survive off of a generator for a few weeks. Let's just say it didn't sound very fun with the amount of hours he put on his tractor. It wasn't cheap to be "off the grid".

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75