Aging game meat

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Time for everyone to scratch their head at my method or point and laugh. I started doing this about 5yrs ago as an experiment and have done it ever since. Growing up we always skinned our deer as fast as possible and hung them with number of days depending on temp but probably never more than 3 days. We had a roll of plastic wrap that the cutting edge came off the box and I was tired of trimming the dry off so I wrapped it after skinning and head removed the stab a few holes in the chest cavity for a little air. Keeps the meat moist and protected and also gets the animal cooled down quickly. Even though my wife has always loved venison even she thinks it's better tasting overall. I also will agree with LB in quick sudden kills play a big roll in the flavor. Most times my deer are shot one day and butchered the next 1-2 days with 3-5 being max if temps agree

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
My issue with hanging pheasants is the yuck associated with where the bb's have pushed hide and feathers into the meat. I'm pretty sure there are bacteria on the feathers and skin, so you've created quite the little petri dish in the shot channels for bacteria.

Then again, maybe I just need to be a better shot so I only put one bb in their head.

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
My issue with hanging pheasants is the yuck associated with where the bb's have pushed hide and feathers into the meat. I'm pretty sure there are bacteria on the feathers and skin, so you've created quite the little petri dish for bacteria in shot birds.

^^^^ that - or I'd age them

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79