Waterfowl Report

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i am seeing a surprising number of snows and blues already in the devils lake area. not huge numbers. but, more than i am used to seeing this early.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Be interesting if any of this pans out. Way way to far out to put any real stock in but points in the direction of this pattern we are in not ending anytime soon.

Screenshot_20181001-115703.jpg

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
This has been the best start to a season in ages. Lots of ducks and way fewer hunters than anticipated. On Sunday I was hunting a pretty popular area, and only heard one group shoot to the north a dozen times all day. I hunted solo and managed two greenheads, three gaddies, a GWT, plus a bonus BWT. Perfect pothole shoot out of my new skiff.

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
from G&F site

DUCKS AND MERGANSERS: SPECIES/SEX RESTRICTIONS
The daily bag limit on ducks is 6 with species and sex restrictions as follows: 5 mallards of which only 2 may be hens, 3 scaup, 3 wood ducks, 2 redheads, 2 canvasbacks, 2 pintails. Note: An additional 2 blue-winged teal may be taken September 22 through October 7 only. The daily limit of 5 mergansers may include no more than 2 hooded mergansers. The possession limit on these restricted ducks and the hooded merganser is three times the daily limit.

Bri-guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Saw a huge increase in nonresident hunters in the area south of Lakota. I've been hunting that same area this weekend for the past 10 years and this is, by far, the most pressure I have seen. Very dry conditions had the birds concentrated, so that may have had something to do with it. Saw a lot of swans migrating south in that area. Probably saw 20 different flocks over the span of the weekend -- all headed south. First time I've had to break up ice to get my decoys out in September!

BrewCrew

★★★★ Legendary Member
And if I read that right you can end up with the eight and 5 more if you get into the mergansers.....=13

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
mergansers.... as horrific to eat as one would imagine???

If you have the patience to snip, hack, and slice away the skin from their breast meat, they're not totally unpalatable. I mean, if people will stir fry a duck's asshole, SOMEONE will find lawn darts appetizing.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
This has been the best start to a season in ages. Lots of ducks and way fewer hunters than anticipated. On Sunday I was hunting a pretty popular area, and only heard one group shoot to the north a dozen times all day. I hunted solo and managed two greenheads, three gaddies, a GWT, plus a bonus BWT. Perfect pothole shoot out of my new skiff.

What did you get for a skiff?

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Be interesting if any of this pans out. Way way to far out to put any real stock in but points in the direction of this pattern we are in not ending anytime soon.

!cid_51EBF609-7EA6-4683-8F4F-26354CB02AF0.jpg

Long term forecast for ND seems like it’s much colder than normal and with more snow in the forecast. Hopefully this won’t drive birds out of the state. No snow yet down in WY as it’s still in the 70’s and long term forecast isn’t too cold so this map seems a little off to me.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
lawn darts - ha ha ha

and I'm with espringers - proclamations are a snore-fest

My yikes is based on the changes in pintail/wood duck/scaup/canvasback limits from year to year. But if you're a true sportsman/waterfowler/man, you only shoot full plume mallards and Canadas, so no sweat.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
What did you get for a skiff?

It's a little "sneak boat" of sorts. No make or model. Probably painted a dozen times. It looks like one of those layout boats they anchor in Green Bay for divers, but it has as a transom mount. Fully loaded with 3 dozen dekes, two spinners, two dogs, my gear, gun, a big deep cycle battery and 40 lb thrust trolling motor, it actually moves moves along pretty well. Plus it fits in the bed of my pickup! I do think a small mud motor would be the cat's ass , though. Really eat through those prop-binding weeds and keep you from having to raise the motor every 30 seconds to clear the crud.

For now I'm able to load it and unload it myself. In the future I'll probably need a tilt trailer or something. It's fiberglass and pretty damn heavy. It's sturdy, though, which more than makes up for the weight.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
My yikes is based on the changes in pintail/wood duck/scaup/canvasback limits from year to year. But if you're a true sportsman/waterfowler/man, you only shoot full plume mallards and Canadas, so no sweat.

I wish I was Pro Status and shot only plump mallards. I usually cram the proclamation the night before the hunt.

Last edited:

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
On the proc: it's been years since I hunted water more than once or twice a year max. It's always been 6 ducks, 5 mallards and 2 hens. I know then brought pinnies back into the mix a while back and that was probably what got me to look at it when I did then. When something of importance changes for field hunting green heads, I expect I will see it in some interweb release and or a buddy will clue me in whilst I am pondering whether I can shoot my 7th drake pintail on opening morning. Same with honkers. If i get out early season, I always look at the proclamation. But, it's been a few years. If i was ever in the blind and worried about a limit of black geese god forbid, i would pull out the phone. But, haven't been in a position of concern for at least a few years. It's not that I am completely unconcerned with laws. Just haven't been in a position to cause concern in a while. Except ducks in a pile of course. ;)

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67