SD Pheasant Hunting

Fitz

Established Member
I know I'm talking about the "wrong" state here, but I was wondering if anyone has hunted SD for pheasants without going through a guide or hunting lodge. I'm looking to do a hunt in early Dec, hunt public land, and see if I can bag some birds. Wondering if it's worth it or is most of the walk in areas they advertise like some of our PLOTS, where you're not going to find anything living. From looking at some maps, looking to go around the Missouri River and east maybe 30 miles from the border to Pierre.

Thanks

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know I'm talking about the "wrong" state here, but I was wondering if anyone has hunted SD for pheasants without going through a guide or hunting lodge. I'm looking to do a hunt in early Dec, hunt public land, and see if I can bag some birds. Wondering if it's worth it or is most of the walk in areas they advertise like some of our PLOTS, where you're not going to find anything living. From looking at some maps, looking to go around the Missouri River and east maybe 30 miles from the border to Pierre.

Thanks

pm me. I can hook you up with some areas that will have pheasants and grouse not going to put it out on the public forum

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rent a van with a sliding door and road hunt you will get plenty of birds with virtually no walking

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
And ground balling ok'd by ditch hunters.com

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
SD Game and Fish has an application for viewing public lands. My in-laws live in Aberdeen so it was nice to be able to duck out of the chaos for a few hours around xmas last year to chase pheasants and run the dog, plenty of good public land.

Also - the best thing about hunting SD is that for a non-resident license you can split your two weeks up between one week this year and one next year.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
The bird numbers are a little better than last year but still rather low. Much of the public land is not good. It is all water or been mowed 3x. But if you look around hard enough there are areas that can be productive. However those good areas are often pressured hard. Good hunting can be had but will take some scouting in vehicle and timing.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
The bird numbers are a little better than last year but still rather low. Much of the public land is not good. It is all water or been mowed 3x. But if you look around hard enough there are areas that can be productive. However those good areas are often pressured hard. Good hunting can be had but will take some scouting in vehicle and timing.

that is in north eastern sd

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lol you don't get around the state much do you.....I hunt all around the state for many for different game and upland is one of them. I know what I know. And can bet majority of residents who hunt in different areas would agree with me because they already say the same. Your area is a definitely better than most. If you are saying SD pheasant hunting is superb you are havent been around state much OR you make a little money off it. 47% rise in pheasant numbers is good news but not great. 47% from very few is mediocre. Are there good pub lands..no doubt. I said that in my first post. By far poor pub land outweighs good pub land.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
CORPS land is public land and can be hunted. Accessing it can be tricky, but if you use a boat you should be good. Know a lot of guys go fishing in the morning to legal hunting hours. If you're going in Dec., boats may not be an option, but driving the ice on a 4-wheeler might be. And there are some walk-in available around the CORPS land too.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lol you don't get around the state much do you.....I hunt all around the state for many for different game and upland is one of them. I know what I know. And can bet majority of residents who hunt in different areas would agree with me because they already say the same. Your area is a definitely better than most. If you are saying SD pheasant hunting is superb you are havent been around state much OR you make a little money off it. 47% rise in pheasant numbers is good news but not great. 47% from very few is mediocre. Are there good pub lands..no doubt. I said that in my first post. By far poor pub land outweighs good pub land.

its your story tell it how ether you want...only species I won’t hunt this year in Sd elk,mountain goat and big horn I might see a little something

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well my story is definitely different than yours. I guess I'm like you. Last yr I hunted BH for elk, WR deer, ER deer, upland in several areas including yours and waterfowl in east. I get around each year. The ONLY people that are raving over pheasant numbers and superb public holding pheasants are the outfitters/guides. If you fall into that arena that's great! No issues. I said it three times now, there is a higher majority of pub land that isn't that productive for upland. But there absolutely is some good areas, just need to find them! I think I found one the other day in my own area! No sense arguing over the net. Hope you have a good season.

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member
My advice: Find some public land next to one of those pay hunting outfits. Scratch hunt a few of those "wild" birds that the outfitters claim to have.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 168
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77