32-20

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I am old (72), white and a male.
Joy Behar for one sees me as a butthead who wants to retain white power but it seems to me I had/have little compare to others but: (could one imagine being married to her)

I have had a job since leaving home in 69. In fact many jobs like chopping ice off the red river for refrigeration rail road cars and tearing old telegraph lines down and my wife has had as many as five jobs at once. Since 69 I and the wife have contribute over 12% of our gross income to the federal tax bucket and in these later years it is mid 12 to 16%. Never once got a welfare check or whatever of any kind and both of us continue to have jobs today. It will soon quit however.

I serve this country and did what they asked me to do and train me to do in 69 and 70. Lately I have reflected on that, the innocent who have die from my action and how that will affect my name in the book of eternal life when I go up to the pearly gate and see St Peter. Hopefully I can get in.

Over the years and more so in my younger years I have touch ladies. But only those who wanted to be touch and respected the no. I sure hope no one shows up with a different story from 55 years ago. My memory is better than some when the memory is good.

I have been involve by my action in countless community activities but now with age I have retire from most of that. I have turn that over to whoever wants it and whatever power one things that gives them.

And overall life has been great. A lot of roads to go down but the one I and my wife chose was just fine. A few hits I wish had not happen but adjusted and went on.

So where does this white power and hate for me as a white, old, male come from?

But the real question I ask.
I bought a model 73 Win made in 1888, 32-20. A few days ago I bought a Cimaron model P in 32-20. Found some 32-20 ammo at Scheels the other day and did order some black hills 32-20 shells. The ones I bought have a muzzle speed of 1200 while the black hills have 800. After shooting this model P I should be able to compete with Matt Dillon in time.

The Model 73 is old and shows its age but better than most. Yes barrel has pits and only somewhat shines if I put oil in it. But still appears straight, round and no humps. So based of that fact I assume it is okay to shoot the black hills in the model 73. Did have some black power 32-20 shells but I do not want to spent 2 hours cleaning that model 73 everytime I shoot it. When I shot the model 73 about 80% of bullets on a rest at 25 yards where inside a softball with the others inside a basket ball. Maybe me.
So okay to shoot, yes/no? At this time I am willing to take the risk, ah maybe depending on the experts on here without looking at the rifle. db

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wouldn't worry about shooting either of them in an original '73. Might take a micrometer with you on the 1st session and measure the case just ahead of the rim before and after firing just to make sure you don't have an undiagnosed headspace issue.

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a model 27s and a first generation colt single action army in 32.20. Some years ago I picked up an old box of remington ammo at a gun show and decided to fire off a few rounds with the hog-leg. First round started with a loud crack and recoiled enough that it brought the hammer to half-cock. I had an inkling that something was amiss, so I read the old box a little closer. Yep, there it was. "for Use in Longarms Only." I bought a set of dies and all has been well since. I'm glad I didn't take the topstrap off the old girl.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Should be able to do that on the black powder ones I shot? db

★★★★★ Legendary Member
As for your time in the service I did the same and quit worrying about it years ago, thats time past by.

The ammo should be fine in both rifles. If you want to ship the guns and ammo to me I'd be happy to do an extensive trial with them and let you know what the results are.

The black powder is best left unfired in my opinion, like you I don't want to spend hours cleaning the rifle afterward.

Joy Behar for one sees me as a butthead who wants to retain white power but it seems to me I had/have little compare to others but: (could one imagine being married to her)

This is what Joy Behar thinks is OK behavior for women. She looks like a sexual predator to me.

Joy-Behar_zps1rczifqj.jpg

Last edited:

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I am sure Joy enjoyed the moment, happy to see and will share with a couple of strong democrate and Joy supporters. A couple of ladies I know will also enjoy sharing this picture.

Got my Black hills ammo from Midway today so tommorrow or so will put in model 73. Maybe will have a slightly used model 73 for sale cheap.
My spent black powder shells from the model 73 will not fit into the cylinder of the model p. The Winchester shells i shot in the model p fit back into the cylinder of the model p.
There is a slight indent in the shells at the end (1/2" down) before firing. After firing in the model 73 this indent has grown and according to my measure is slightly larger than before fire. Not sure if that is telliing me anything about the chamber of the model 73. But will assume that is the case.
I only have some target 22 pistols (high standard and Brownie) that I have shot so have not shot a bigger revolver but am please after shooting with the Cimarron/Uberti.
After 18 shells (7" barrel) I feel I can hit the upper body of a person target at 25 yards by pointing and in time maybe I can put them all in the heart of the target. Other than that I am not sure why I have a 32-20 revolver but told the guy to see if I could buy one in 44-40. But then I will need a old model 92 in 44-40. Wife is fine with that if I sell some of my crab. I do have a old juke box that is a little bit rare and price is about $10,000 if interested. Will consider an offer but am not going down much. db

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
DB my friend, i too wonder and think about the past and pretty much did what you have done. Tried doing what every normal male back then did but i too was brought up no means no! Had fun and was taught to work hard and all of our work was manual labor. Didn't hurt me none, for sure.
Anyway i think about the future and what will happen when we meet our Lord and Savior. Older one gets the more one thinks about things like that i guess. More so after the stroke knowing any day could be ones last day on this earth. Believe i have been a good person and a great friend to many, but i too did some things one is not proud of a time or two. ;:;badidea All one can do is ask forgiveness and mean it and not do it again!
Life has been good with some bumps in the road but we survived. Had 2 great kids and my second bride is way more than i ever thought one could be and way more than i probably deserved in this life! She is great and i love her dearly and darn happy that we met and got married.
Enjoy life my friend and enjoy what makes the two of you happy! :;:exactly Wish you the best in health and life in general! :;:thumbsup :;:cheers

Enjoy your 32-20's. :;:exactly

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
One thing about us old duffers ( one will have to bury the rest} I am not to sure if I want to be that one.:;:cheers

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyway i think about the future and what will happen when we meet our Lord and Savior. Older one gets the more one thinks about things like that i guess. More so after the stroke knowing any day could be ones last day on this earth. Believe i have been a good person and a great friend to many, but i too did some things one is not proud of a time or two. ;:;badidea All one can do is ask forgiveness and mean it and not do it again!
Stop the worrying and enjoy the life God give you. God turns no repentant sinner away. No bad person writes what you have. The worst person in the world will be forgiven if he is genuinely sorry and admits it to God. If I never meet you guys on this current earth I'll see you later. :;:thumbsup

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/4...-32-colt-311-diameter-93-grain-1-ogive-radius

I don't know if you reload or not db-2. If you do get yourself a mould and head over to Jamestown. I have all the lead we will need and we should be able to each kick out 1000 bullets in a good day.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018523537/lee-bullet-lube-and-sizing-die-kit Lee bullet moulds produce a bullet than can be shot without sizing, but if you want to size while lubing they only need to be sized less than .001 and can be done with a very inexpensive set up. With your empty brass and free lead you should be able to load 100 for primers $3, powder $2.14, and lube maybe $0.10 It lets me pound out 100 rounds of 44 mag without thinking about cost.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Ghost:
I have never reloaded before as I have never shot many shells however have always wanted to learn and try. Shell for me that are hard to get and ones I need are 219 zipper (which I have a die for but not sure what that is), 222 magnum, 25-20 and 218 bee sometimes, expenses shells like my 300 weatherby, would like to get some 22 specials. But I do plan in time to look at reloading just was scare to do and have no knowledge on it. db

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I finally take the model 73 and put some black hill 32-20 in it.
the first 10 bullets were without my reading glasses and the front site did have a tendency to get blurred.
Put my reading glasses on for the final 5 and it appears I should of left the glasses off. But that rear site on those rifles have a large u in it.

So the question I ask is on the first 10 it appears a couple of shots went into the cardboard sideways. Is that right and does it tell me what shape the barrel is in? db

Attachments

DSCN9127.jpg DSCN9128.jpg

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Those keyholes can be indicative of a poor barrel. You might try lapping the barrel to see if it improves.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Do not know what lapping is. Was once told to take a tool at barrel end to make sure it is not worn on one side but even all the way around. db

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Normally it's an indication that the rifling twist is to slow to stabilize a heavy bullet. Another condition is a crown that is not symetrical. Often caused by cleaning from the muzzle end. Also people often have the bad habit of carrying a rifle muzzle down on a vehicle and stones or sand on the floor will destroy the crown. Gas escaping on one side of the bullet first will throw the back of the bullet into a yawh that it cannot recover from. A good gunsmith can correct that by lapping the crown with a brass stud and 800 grit garnet. Do not lao your bore until you run a cast slug first. It may already be worn oversize.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I placed a live shell in the end of the barrel. Went in close to 1/4 inch up the shell past the bullet. I think that tells a story of condition of the barrel. So as a rifle for shooting it has no value with value for hanging on the wall. Have a rifle that won the west and maybe if it could tell its story.
Not by any means an expert of pistols but i really do like my model p cimarron with 7" barrel. Shoots nice, feels good and in time i should be able to hit somewhat decent what i am shooting at (at least i believe so).
I would consider trade of my 73(great shape and excellent shooter, six out of ten) for a 73 in 44-40. db

Last edited:

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Depends on what you want to do with it. Keep it till great grandkids hang it on their wall in remembrance of you or for them to sell it later. If you want it to shoot it, have a barrel liner put in. If its a keepsake, that's not going to hurt it.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pull a bullet and tap it through the bore with a wooden dowel or brass rod. Bores don't normally shoot out with lead bullets and little powder. My bet is the first one half inch is worn from dirty cleaning rods. That makes the cheapest solution cutting a half inch off the barrel and recrown. That may require cutting a new dove tail for the front sight. How far forward does the magazine tube come?

Last edited:

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The magazine tube comes to the end of the barrel. But do not want to modify and if i really wanted to have a model 73 for shooting would purchase a new reproduction one. But not the best if one is to use for hunting. Do have a fair number of weapons with several from the late 1800 or earlier 1900 that have the kids name on them so this one fits in with one of the kids. Gets the 32-20 pistol and holster also.

Do have a model 92 (1917) in 25-20 that someone before me spent a bunch on it. Model 92 in 25-20 shot the Jordan buck and still the largest 5 point on record (at least a few years ago it was). that one shoots well and maybe one day if i ever get a rifle tag. Have taken it with me on mule deer but in the past when the time came a 300 weatherby came out. Always a bit to far for a 25-20, However, maybe one day. I do enjoy the older ones.
ARs in 223 in my humble opinion are only a fun gun and that is all they are good for (mine in nam was a pile of crab and that is when it did work, I do not think I once empty a clip of fully auto). 40 round clip, one is bound to have one go in but true craftmanship nothing beats a lever action where it all began along with a pre 64 model 70. db

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 76