Anyone seeing any roosters?

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Regardless of numbers, I’ll still get the dog out. Unfortunately, the other dog got spurred during his last day of training and now associates a gun shot with the mean rooster. Looks like he’ll be a house dog for this season.

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've bow hunted a couple days in McIntosh Co. and literally didn't hear a single rooster. Pretty odd. Could've been the 5 coyotes spotted though!

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
NR dollars is the answer to your question, Sir....

True...the other side is biological. If the G&F knows that the pheasants are doomed anyway, and likely will succumb to nature's wrath regardless, why not let hunters get first crack? Better than them freezing on a field line where a tree row used to be, or dying from some disease because every pheasant in the county is huddled in some farm yard during the winter months.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've seen a few. More now that is has cooled off a bit. I suspect it will be close to the same as last year. Tough unless you find a good food source close to water. We did fairly well last year for it being a down year, just have to put on the miles.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A lot of corn standing here so dont see too many. Will have to carry two guns in truck during deer season if I want a couple for the pot.

drivenmarine.net

Founding Member
Founding Member
NR dollars is the answer to your question, Sir....
I wish NDGFD/Legislature would raise our NR hunting/fishing fees to match those of other states. We as North Dakotans are giving our neighbors one hell of a good deal on non-resident licence fees if you ask me. They always want to cut programs instead of raising more revenue to fund them. Right now we are in dire need of habitat programs.

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you people would do more than drive around, you just got to get a mile off the road then you will see them :::

I realize you are being sarcastic and you are probably accurate about most people but my job takes me WAAAAAY off the roads and back into lots of remote areas with excellent grouse country and I've seen so few grouse you would think they are going extinct. Was in some rough country in Sioux Co. yesterday and saw ONE lonely grouse. Should have seen 2 or 3 coveys this time of year. Did see a large herd of antelope and a couple of bucks without a herd. Should have dug out the binoc's cause one of the bucks looked pretty nice but I was in a hurry and I don't hunt antelope anyway.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wish NDGFD/Legislature would raise our NR hunting/fishing fees to match those of other states. We as North Dakotans are giving our neighbors one hell of a good deal on non-resident licence fees if you ask me. They always want to cut programs instead of raising more revenue to fund them. Right now we are in dire need of habitat programs.
Who are you comparing us to? We are $122 SD is $121 And MT is $125.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member

Really this again. My N.D. Nonresident bow lic cost me 250.00 in MN nonresident deer tag is 185.00. And buy a buck tag over the counter. And Youth deer tags are the same as residents at 8.00. If you want to come over here Bear hunting it 230.00 in Any other state its a lot more.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member

Residents shoot far more birds than non residents so maybe the residents should pay more to fund more habitat. CRP finding at the federal level would be nice but that would take lobbying the congress. I think one of the farm groups was against some conservation program details in the latest version of the farm bill. We need to incentivize landowners to participate in habitat conservation through government and private programs. It’s unfortunate that groups like DU and Pheasants forever are demonized for trying to conserve bird habitat because without the feds there wouldn’t be anyone pushing to conserve it. Too many marginal acres have been tilled up because of expiring CRP and high commodity prices, but now farmers are feeling the repercussions of over production resulting in terribly low prices. Now is the time to put more land back into grass. Lobby the Gov and donate to conservation orgs.

CutEm

Still alot more roosters around than 20 years ago. I have been seeing good numbers now that the beans and corn are coming off. It won't be the good old days of hunting an hour a day for 3 birds but opportunities will still be plentiful.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
Still alot more roosters around than 20 years ago. I have been seeing good numbers now that the beans and corn are coming off. It won't be the good old days of hunting an hour a day for 3 birds but opportunities will still be plentiful.

Yes the yrs 1997 and 1998 were tough on the birds. Then from 1999 till about 2013 N.D. had more birds then you could shake a stick at.

Unless N.D. gets a lot of rain the harvest will be done early and every field will be dug up plus the sloughs. Then there will be lots of birds as then there will be no cover to hide in.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Regardless of numbers, I’ll still get the dog out. Unfortunately, the other dog got spurred during his last day of training and now associates a gun shot with the mean rooster. Looks like he’ll be a house dog for this season.

Tell that young fella to Man up

drivenmarine.net

Founding Member
Founding Member
Really this again. My N.D. Nonresident bow lic cost me 250.00 in MN nonresident deer tag is 185.00. And buy a buck tag over the counter. And Youth deer tags are the same as residents at 8.00. If you want to come over here Bear hunting it 230.00 in Any other state its a lot more.
Go west. Montana, Colorado, ect.. ND will look like a hell of a value compared to those states.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes a few, especially right by town, Then again its where I drive most.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 102
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66