Anyone seeing any roosters?

drivenmarine.net

Founding Member
Founding Member
Residents shoot far more birds than non residents so maybe the residents should pay more to fund more habitat. CRP finding at the federal level would be nice but that would take lobbying the congress. I think one of the farm groups was against some conservation program details in the latest version of the farm bill. We need to incentivize landowners to participate in habitat conservation through government and private programs. It’s unfortunate that groups like DU and Pheasants forever are demonized for trying to conserve bird habitat because without the feds there wouldn’t be anyone pushing to conserve it. Too many marginal acres have been tilled up because of expiring CRP and high commodity prices, but now farmers are feeling the repercussions of over production resulting in terribly low prices. Now is the time to put more land back into grass. Lobby the Gov and donate to conservation orgs.
I agree with your statement. Residents do indeed get a pretty good value for what we pay in licence fees. I just think it would be much easier to get them to raise the NR fees as opposed to having residents freak out about paying $10 more for licences.
Montana figured it out a few years ago. They raised the prices crazy high. They were not selling out of licences the first few years, but as non-residents began to get used to the cost, they started selling more. Now they are selling out, and in some cases are hard to draw.
The loss of CRP has been horrible for wildlife, and conservation organizations like RMEF and Pheasants Forever can only do so much.
There are habitat projects and boat ramp access area that could really use some improvements.
I wasn't trying to ruffle any non-resident member's feathers, just thinking revenue=habitat. Sorry.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think the days of the CRP is over. With cash rent in SE ND at 120.00 plus a acre and CRP payments were at most 58.00 a acre I can see why they were pulled out and put back into production. There will always be bird in the WPA land but alot of that had cattle or was hayed this yr taking more cover away from the birds.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I think the days of the CRP is over. With cash rent in SE ND at 120.00 plus a acre and CRP payments were at most 58.00 a acre I can see why they were pulled out and put back into production. There will always be bird in the WPA land but alot of that had cattle or was hayed this yr taking more cover away from the birds.
Are farmers making any profit when paying 120 rent and with low commodity prices? $60 CRP might look better if no one is renting anymore.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm always surprised at how many Gomers we have on here who don't understand that shooting roosters will not hurt future populations and may even help it.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've never understood why SD doesn't jack up the price of non res pheasant licenses? We have an average of 100-120k non res coming here each year to shoot pheasants. Why don't we double their fees? Have pheasants..they will come. A higher majority of the non res guys coming-money is no object. They fly in from all over. So to think their license is now $200 or so instead of $120ish they won't come? BS, They'll be here. Either way 200 is cheap for 10 day hunts. That would be a huge influx of revenue. But they usually just raise the local fees instead. Need to do same with non res fishing licenses too. We are over-run with them. Bumping of those fees by $25 would be have a huge impact.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've never understood why SD doesn't jack up the price of non res pheasant licenses? We have an average of 100-120k non res coming here each year to shoot pheasants. Why don't we double their fees? Have pheasants..they will come. A higher majority of the non res guys coming-money is no object. They fly in from all over. So to think their license is now $200 or so instead of $120ish they won't come? BS, They'll be here. Either way 200 is cheap for 10 day hunts. That would be a huge influx of revenue. But they usually just raise the local fees instead. Need to do same with non res fishing licenses too. We are over-run with them. Bumping of those fees by $25 would be have a huge impact.

hey now...
bucket

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member

i like to hunt out of state so fucking people just because you can would come back to bite. I know lots of guys who save all year to come out here so for all the “rich” people there are just as many regular guys who hunt. Since residents are here all the time maybe we should pay more since our license is a deal when you count how many days we can use it. I don’t understand the nr hate but I am not one of those people who say we are losing hunting numbers and then bitch about how many hunters there are. It’s cool to hunt just not in my spot .....

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
i like to hunt out of state so fucking people just because you can would come back to bite. I know lots of guys who save all year to come out here so for all the “rich” people there are just as many regular guys who hunt. Since residents are here all the time maybe we should pay more since our license is a deal when you count how many days we can use it. I don’t understand the nr hate but I am not one of those people who say we are losing hunting numbers and then bitch about how many hunters there are. It’s cool to hunt just not in my spot .....

Interesting concept. Kind of like a pay per day of opportunity, use it or loose it.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
It’s was more tongue and cheek not really something I thought out

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
kurtr....As I said before...you really don't get out much do you? In my post I mentioned raising fishing by 25 dollars. Do you think that much of a raise is F'ing people? So much they can't 'Save' that much to come? I highly doubt it. And state $$ wise it would be huge. Say $25 times 40k non res fisherman. That's a million. Ballpark but enough to know it's a lot. I've hunted and fished outa state and country. I also pay their prices. You have been a member on here for the same amount of time I have been. Yet you have over 5,000 posts and I have 200. Maybe you should actually get out in the great outdoors a little more instead of sitting on a computer commenting on EVERYONE's posts. It is clear that you make money off non res outdoorsmen. That's ok but their still going to come if there is a little hike. Guaranteed. I used to guide too. I know their thoughts. They laugh at how cheap it is.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seen a couple ditch parrots booking it into a corn field the other night. Dog kicked 4 hens out of the ditch on here run about a week ago. This colder weather and the smell in the air has her thinking hunting time cause her nose seems to be running overtime everytime she goes outside

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I didnt guide last year was to busy hunting out of state and taking my kid hunting and posting on here.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m going to take my brown plate and pillage some blue plate Ruffies.
i have been hearing some favorable reports on ruffys this year. after 25 degrees this morning the leaves will go fast. I have been east of the red hunting sharpies and am impressed with the amount of birs i have been seeing.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can barely pay for gas and bitch about how much a license cost. But, gonna venture 4 hours and spend a couple nights in a posh hotel hoping to rape and pillage someone's rooster for free. But, figure it's all good cause I am from ND. ;) so, "just enough".

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76