Anyone seeing any roosters?

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
So with pheasant season opening Saturday, has anyone been seeing any decent pheasant numbers? I have only seen one here and there, nothing to get excited about. Still a lot of corn and beans for them to hide in though. Sounds like the possibility of 4-10 inches of snow in the next week. ;:;barfThat might make them easier to find/see.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
few and far between. saw one young rooster with no coloring yet. Only young bird I've seen this year. Couple farmers have seen some really small ones in the past couple weeks. Really small. But the numbers are piss poor for sure.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sunday before Labor Day, took a drive over to Douglas Bay. A hen was walking down the side of the road with 8-10 chicks fallowing behind her that were no bigger then a chicken egg.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Worst numbers in years here in SW ND.
Why they are allowing a season is beyond me.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
i figure where there were roosters last year there will be roosters again.

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is the worst year I've seen since before CRP started. Maybe I've just been in the wrong place at the wrong time but I've covered several thousand miles in an area from I94 to the SD border and the Missouri to Hwy 22 south of Dickinson and can't believe how few birds I've seen. I've seen 10 times the number of deer and antelope than birds and it should be the other way around.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
It’s going to be tough SW. I think I’m just going to sleep in and hit the coulees of NW Bismarck, plenty of unpressured birds there :cool:

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
After cutting 3500 acres of barley, wheat and beans so far I can count on one hand how many I've seen this year. The almighty ND Game & Fish will keep the limit at 3 and probably extend the season again, dipshits.

Founding Member
Founding Member
After cutting 3500 acres of barley, wheat and beans so far I can count on one hand how many I've seen this year. The almighty ND Game & Fish will keep the limit at 3 and probably extend the season again, dipshits.

Bingo! :;:exactly

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Worst numbers in years here in SW ND.
Why they are allowing a season is beyond me.
Oh I don't know it might have something to do with we only shoot roosters so it's not exactly going to make a difference on the number of birds produced next year. The reality is the less roosters we have the better the population will do because they're not exactly beneficial to the hens come winter time and a rooster can breed up to a dozen hens so it doesn't take many to get the job done. Point being hunting season means jack shit on the overall pheasant population.

As for numbers seen I've seen a fair few more over the last two weeks then most of the summer combined with far less miles. Only thing is every one was a rooster. Would suspect the hens are still back in the thick stuff and every hen I saw this summer had a pile of fuzzballs with her so that could be at least a small bright spot this year. Definitely the least amount of presents I've seen in many many many years and I've been in some extremely good pheasant ground much of the time.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had nauseating roosters outside my camper at dl. Heidi would flush em and then would be back in am. Around the lake it reminded me of Audubon. Crowing on the shores. Dey in deep cover.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
You guys probably don't want to hear this, but I've been out duck and goose hunting four times this fall, and every single time we've heard and/or seen pheasants (roosters and hens) while afield. On duck opener we kicked up six hens and a rooster in the tiniest WPA known to man while looking for a winged mallard that dropped in the grass.

During early goose, we had 10 pheasants walk into the harvested grain field we were hunting in. They were too young to pick the roosters from the hens, but we hear some cackling earlier that morning. And on Sunday, it sounded like a roster circus behind me. I'm not sure where they were...I just know at one point one was flying and it it sounded like it landed 10 yards from me.

For the first time in years, I think I may actually be on the right side of the state...

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep sure is hard on the population to keep shooting roosters.:::

It's funny how people still think you can stock pile wildlife with little to no habitat.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you people would do more than drive around, you just got to get a mile off the road then you will see them :::

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75