Flourocarbon???

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for all the good info. How easily can pike bite through Flouro? Easier than say 15lb power pro or is Flouro tougher? How about compared to a light wire leader? I typically use a light wire leader in pike waters ahead of my cranks but would switch to Fluoro if it was as effective.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
The only reason I could see using fluorocarbon leaders in ND would be for salmon fishing scenarios. For walleyes why not use titanium with all the pike?

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
The only reason I could see using fluorocarbon leaders in ND would be for salmon fishing scenarios. For walleyes why not use titanium with all the pike?

Please tell me you’re joking.... this last year was the first year I used a 10lb fluorocarbon leader (usually 2-4 feet) and I swear it helped me catch wayyy more walleyes this spring than I ever have. I also use a 2 foot leader of 20 lb. fluoro when jigging rapping, this way they don’t get foul hooked so often around the line. Keeps me fishing more rather than reeling up 40 feet to untangle the bottom treble from the line. I also like using the leader because it allows me to continue to use braid for the awesome sensitivity but have an invisible line tied to my jig.

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for all the good info. How easily can pike bite through Flouro? Easier than say 15lb power pro or is Flouro tougher? How about compared to a light wire leader? I typically use a light wire leader in pike waters ahead of my cranks but would switch to Fluoro if it was as effective.

30lb lasts hundreds of Pike but every once in a while one will bite it just right and cut halfway through, than time to change out. It could happen the first Pike or the 200th. Also walleye don't notice it compared to a wire leader

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Please tell me you’re joking.... this last year was the first year I used a 10lb fluorocarbon leader (usually 2-4 feet) and I swear it helped me catch wayyy more walleyes this spring than I ever have. I also use a 2 foot leader of 20 lb. fluoro when jigging rapping, this way they don’t get foul hooked so often around the line. Keeps me fishing more rather than reeling up 40 feet to untangle the bottom treble from the line. I also like using the leader because it allows me to continue to use braid for the awesome sensitivity but have an invisible line tied to

- - - Updated - - -

Titanium basically vanishes in water. I have caught more pike over 15 lbs in the last few years because I started to use titanium while walleye fishing. I even use titanium in the winter while vertical jigging.

- - - Updated - - -

30lb lasts hundreds of Pike but every once in a while one will bite it just right and cut halfway through, than time to change out. It could happen the first Pike or the 200th. Also walleye don't notice it compared to a wire leader

Please explain how you know that a walleye will swim up to a lure and choose to not bite because there is a wire leader.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Please tell me you’re joking.... this last year was the first year I used a 10lb fluorocarbon leader (usually 2-4 feet) and I swear it helped me catch wayyy more walleyes this spring than I ever have. I also use a 2 foot leader of 20 lb. fluoro when jigging rapping, this way they don’t get foul hooked so often around the line. Keeps me fishing more rather than reeling up 40 feet to untangle the bottom treble from the line. I also like using the leader because it allows me to continue to use braid for the awesome sensitivity but have an invisible line tied to

- - - Updated - - -

Titanium basically vanishes in water. I have caught more pike over 15 lbs in the last few years because I started to use titanium while walleye fishing. I even use titanium in the winter while vertical jigging.

- - - Updated - - -

Please explain how you know that a walleye will swim up to a lure and choose to not bite because there is a wire leader.

He obviously knows this because he was a walleye in his previous life.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess I use fluorocarbon for Bobber fishing because the bobber stops stay put better than fireline. Other than that I use straight crystal fireline. My favorite is watching people use fluorocarbon leaders in the sheyenne and red. It’s good stuff.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ha ha ha. I tried fluorocarbon for slip bobbers once. I didn't know at the time that it sinks like lead core. I do now.

Turns out that Nano floats ever so gently (extremely hydrophobic). It's awesome for slip bobbering.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hahah I use a titanium leader for bobber fishing walleyes too. SDMF can verify this haha.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use fluorocarbon leaders mainly for abrasion resistance rather than clarity. I don't think we have much for line shyness here in ND(although some claim there is on the Missouri River). That and what was mentioned about jig rapping avoiding line tangles. I also like a barrel swivel as something to grab when removing fish from my hook and keeping twist at bay.

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm knot (see what I did there:cool:) sure which one is stronger but I will say the fg knot is a much lower profile and will not catch on the guides.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
B1F797C9-442E-429C-BA5D-CA83D945A8DC.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

ack.... time to swap out my nano - or at least remove the last few feet

it’s looking taddered (a tad tattered)

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guy don’t start me on “Enslowfil” haha. It’s too early...

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I looked up the definition of Enslow last night.

Stubborn, recalcitrant, headstrong, ....

How does Google know these things?

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
I watched the YouTube video on the FG knot and seems simple, but time consuming compared to the polymar knot. I understand it works better for tying a knot to adjoin flouro and braided line. Can the same be said for joining to mono? Is there a special knot for tying Flouro to mono? Or, you don't use mono with flouro?

Last edited:

NM 24

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any experience in comparing the strength and durability of the Alberto Knot (or modified Albright Knot) and the FG knot for connecting fluorocarbon leaders to braid?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74