Flourocarbon???

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
When should I use it? Why? What pound? What length? Open water and/or ice?

Thanks for the education.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use it as a leader for my rods about 3 feet. 2 lbs lights than what my braid is. Both open and ice fishing.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use it also for leaders on my braid. I’ll actually go five of six feet

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I only run 3 feet cause I don’t like the barrel swivel hitting the eyes on my rod.

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I only run 3 feet cause I don’t like the barrel swivel hitting the eyes on my rod.

You tube fg knot. Salt strong does the best tutorial. It's an awesome knot for tying the two together. And fairly easy to tie

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
Use 30lb when walleye fishing with a crap ton of Pike around. I put a snap on one end and a swivel on the other. One extra plus is you can cast further also

- - - Updated - - -

8-12 inch leaders are what I make

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
So, I spend a lot of time casting, typically use Power Pro about 8 or 10 lb, can't really remember.

Why do I need flourocarbon for a leader? I'm all about running out and buying more gear. I just need a tiniest shred of a reason. What will it do for me?

And barrel swivel? What's that for? Isn't that going to knock up against my rod tip?

If I use say, 10 lb PP, what pound flourocarbon should I use for this leader? And am I going to break it off all the time, eventually resulting in it being too short?

Like I said, I cast a lot, and mostly it's crankbaits.

gone_fishing

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been using 17lb Seaguar Red Label for all my spinner harness for the last few years. Seems to hold up well and isn't too expensive. For leaders I use about 3' of 15 or 12lb I for jigging applications (especially for jigging raps when limp braids will catch the lure). Don't really bother with leaders when cranking.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I run 10# power pro and 10 or 12 pound flouro leader about 3-4’ long. I tie the leader to the power pro with a Uni to uni knot and has held very strong. I have used and abused this set up during the spring walleye run and this combo hasn’t failed me yet. I have used seagar and pline and both work good.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
You tube fg knot. Salt strong does the best tutorial. It's an awesome knot for tying the two together. And fairly easy to tie

^that

also - pay attention to him pulling HARD prior to trimming. There is sometimes a little slippage - until the braid makes little tiny grooves and really digs into the fluorocarbon's soft surface. Only AFTER the slippage and "chinese finger cuff" effect takes place should you trim the fluorocarbon.

A lot of people skip that step. Only to have the slippage take place when they are fishing. At that point it's too late for the lock to set.... there's no excess fluorocarbon to move into position until the dig takes place - allowing the knot to pop apart.

At this point most fisherman will "never use the f-ing great knot ever again cuz it sucks".

Don't be like these fishermen... set your FG knot at home, where it belongs.

- - - Updated - - -

p.s. I use fluorocarbon because I love nano... but its abrasion resistance is terrible.

IF I fished only places where walleyes are expected and there's few abrasion risks I would happily tie my jigs/cranks straight to nano using a palomar.

- - - Updated - - -

p.p.s.

You can tie 4-5 feet (or 10) of fluorocarbon leader with the FG because it's so small it fits into the tiniest guides.

I like hearing the subtle "tink" sound as it reaches the guide to let me know the fish is nearly nettable. Very good for night fishing.

Last edited:

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
Like I said, I cast a lot, and mostly it's crankbaits.[/QUOTE]

I use it for leaders when casting and for spinner rigs. Seaguar.

One thing for casting crankbaits is that you will get less of the line around the hooks mess ups with Flourocarbon.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
So, I spend a lot of time casting, typically use Power Pro about 8 or 10 lb, can't really remember.

Why do I need flourocarbon for a leader? I'm all about running out and buying more gear. I just need a tiniest shred of a reason. What will it do for me?

And barrel swivel? What's that for? Isn't that going to knock up against my rod tip?

If I use say, 10 lb PP, what pound flourocarbon should I use for this leader? And am I going to break it off all the time, eventually resulting in it being too short?

Like I said, I cast a lot, and mostly it's crankbaits.

I fish clear water and don’t want the visibility of braid tied to my jig.

I run run a barrel swivel instead of the fg knot because I don’t want to have to tie line to line when it’s cold and dark. That’s why I only run about 3 foot leader so it doesn’t hit my guides.

I like to go 2 lbs lighter than my braid that way when I get a snag I can break the leader off and not break 20 yards of braid in the river.

Dont even get get me started on the guys that just cut there line at the tip of the rod when they get a snag.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I must have things dialed in by luck. A 5 foot FG leader lasts me at least 8 reties if not a dozen, since the leader breaks right at the lure. The leader just gets 2-3 inches shorter each break.

- - - Updated - - -

ps I am not sure about FG performance in really cold weather.

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I can’t get that damn fg knot figured out. Slips on me every time.

Here is a video explaining what guy was talking about. I've only had one slip and it was because I didn't take the time to "set" the knot.

- - - Updated - - -

And the more you do them. They are really quite easy to tie. I've done it in about a minute on the boat when leader was too small.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75