Snow Totals

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wish my big maple would let loose. Middle of November is when I know it's MY leaves littering my yard.

whaaat?... a big maple you say?

maple-syrup-tap.jpg

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
There's no way the GFAFB got 19" of snow. I was in cavalier on wed, in Grand Forks Thursday morning, and out to the AFB that morning also. At most, the base had 6" of snow and I'm being generous with my estimate. Something was obviously wacky with that reporting station. on the flip side you could tell the stuff came down sideways as it was plastered against the sides of buildings.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
There's no way the GFAFB got 19" of snow. I was in cavalier on wed, in Grand Forks Thursday morning, and out to the AFB that morning also. At most, the base had 6" of snow and I'm being generous with my estimate. Something was obviously wacky with that reporting station. on the flip side you could tell the stuff came down sideways as it was plastered against the sides of buildings.

Well they did revise to 17 but there were numerous 14 to 17 inch totals out there. I wasn't there so take it up with them. This is their original map note the difference between Grand Forks at the base vs at the NWS it works out to be roughly 1 inch a mile.

43787933_1871992136211212_5655817732298375168_n.jpg

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You guys go ahead a look at the maps, I’ll use my eyes as I actually walked through it on the GFAFB within a few hours after the storm had passed. Put it this way, you didn’t need 4wd to get around other than the fact it was icy, the ditches were were not blown full and canny say I noticed a single drift. I have 4 sleds in the shop, 20 inches of snow gets me excited! That definitely wasn’t 20, or 19, or 17, or what ever they’re reporting, at best 4-6”. Something is not right with the maps and reporting.

- - - Updated - - -

FYI, we flew in to the GF airport and then drove out to the base so I was there and in both places in person. Our vehicle which sat through the storm at the grand forks air port might have had 4 inches of snow in it. It was iced up pretty good though. In 2005, Minot to garrison got 18-20” in early October (don’t remember the exact date) Highways were shut down, my 3/4 ton had a hell of a time getting up and down our gravel road, drifts were well up past the bumper, power was out all over for days, and highway 83 was a disaster of abandon/stuck vehicles and semis and was one lane at best the next day when I headed into MInot since we had no power at the house. If grand forks got 17” in this last storm, then we must’ve gotten 4 or 5 feet back in the 05’ storm because there wasn’t any of that happening out there last week. Who knows, maybe people have learned how to drive and they’ve figured out to clean the roads lot better, lol!

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thing is with the ground temp warm how much actually melted when it hit the ground? I would think lots. But 17'' of snow you would think at least 12'' would be still on the ground?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 57