devils lake ice tourney

jtl1985

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've never fished this tournament and will this year. the rules says no electronics. does that include vexilars? it says limited to certain electronics.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
No electronics and no shelter. I’ve seen guys get told to take down their sleds they used for a wind break. You just sit out there with rod/line in your hand and freeze.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did it once when it was super cold. I was told to put my sled down that I was using to keep my buddy heater going.

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've never fished this tournament and will this year. the rules says no electronics. does that include vexilars? it says limited to certain electronics.
This is not a tournament but a derby, that being said for the most part they try to keep it even for all with no electronics for any and no shelters at all. You are not suppose to check depth or anything like that but have seen idiots that just have to push the rules and set depths before the start. Basically they mark off a area and drill 5000? holes and you pick a hole and drop a line down and HOPE LIKE HELL YOU CAN GET A BITE. And yes I also have seen them tell people to put sleds down when used as shelters. Basically all you need is a pole or two limited tackle and some bait if desired and it is a primitive try at fishing.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
They try to make it as fair as possible for everyone to have somewhat the same odds. It is by no accident that it is a popular event and people by the thousands try their hand at catching something amongst the 5 thousand other lures/hooks/etc below the ice.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lots of pics on the website http://dlvfdicefishingtourney.com/ . ... I think the site can use some upgrading but you get the idea.
As a former volunteer fireman in DL, I worked this event many years. I fish it now.
Good times, if you have never been to one, I'd suggest you give it a go. Ya never know, it may become habit forming the last Saturday in January for you.

More fyi stuff below
Questions and Answers Frequently Asked
Q: Do I need a ND fishing license?
A: Yes.
Q: I lost my ticket, what do I do???
A: Contact Alvin at dlvfdtourney@dvl.midco.net or 662-8022. Tell us where you bought it
and we can send you a duplicate.
Q: Can I prefish?
A: No.
Q: Can we use an electronic depth finder, fish locator or under water camera?
Q: Can we bring Alcoholic beverages?
>Q: When can we enter the contest area?
A: At 11:00 A.M.
Q: Can we use more than one line
Q: Can someone else watch my line if I leave my fishing hole?
Q: Do you have bait and concessions on sale?
10.Q: Do we have to register fish caught right away?
A: Fish must be brought immediately to the judge’s stand, frozen or dead fish are
not eligible .
11.Q: Can I register more than one fish?
A: Yes, but only the largest one in the category will be eligible.
12.Q: What time can we start to fish?
A: At 1:00 P.M. when the shots sound.
13.Q: Do you have shuttle service out to the tournament site?
14.Q: Do you have evening courtesy vehicles available in the evenings?
A: Courtesy vehicle will be available on Friday and Saturday evening from Memorial
Building, or motels to any location in Devils Lake.
15.Q: What if there is an error printed on tickets?
A: Correct information will be given before tournament starts and before any drawings,
DLVFD reserves the right to make needed corrections.
16.Q: What are the locations of events.
A: Registration, dance, drawings for the raffle prizes are at the Memorial Building
which is located Downtown Devils Lake. Fishing site is Approximately 7 miles west
of Devils Lake on hwy 19.
17.Q: Does my ticket need to be stamped?
A: Only if your going to fish.
18.Q: Are tickets sold online?
A: No. Only at authorized vendors which are listed on our links.
19.Q: If I purchase more than one ticket can I fish more than one hole?
A: No, only one fishing hole per person but you may give your other tickets to another
person so that they may use it for fishing.
20.Q: What if tournament is canceled do to inclement weather (blizzard)?
A: Fishing prizes will then be drawn for at 7:00P.M. Saturday evening at the Memorial
Building.
21.Q: When would cancellation be announced?
A: Cancellation due to inclement weather (blizzard) will be determined on the morning
of the tournament. Information will be on the website and released to radio media.
22.Q: Do I have to have a ticket to get on the ice?
A: Yes, you must have a ticket whether you fish or not.

Last edited:

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Lots of pics on the website http://dlvfdicefishingtourney.com/ . ... I think the site can use some upgrading but you get the idea.
As a former volunteer fireman in DL, I worked this event many years. I fish it now.
Good times, if you have never been to one, I'd suggest you give it a go. Ya never know, it may become habit forming the last Saturday in January for you.

More fyi stuff below
Questions and Answers Frequently Asked
Q: Do I need a ND fishing license?
Q: I lost my ticket, what do I do???
A: Contact Alvin at dlvfdtourney@dvl.midco.net or 662-8022. Tell us where you bought it
and we can send you a duplicate.
Q: Can I prefish?
Q: Can we use an electronic depth finder, fish locator or under water camera?
Q: Can we bring Alcoholic beverages?
>Q: When can we enter the contest area?
A: At 11:00 A.M.
Q: Can we use more than one line
Q: Can someone else watch my line if I leave my fishing hole?
Q: Do you have bait and concessions on sale?
10.Q: Do we have to register fish caught right away?
A: Fish must be brought immediately to the judge’s stand, frozen or dead fish are
not eligible .
11.Q: Can I register more than one fish?
A: Yes, but only the largest one in the category will be eligible.
12.Q: What time can we start to fish?
A: At 1:00 P.M. when the shots sound.
13.Q: Do you have shuttle service out to the tournament site?
14.Q: Do you have evening courtesy vehicles available in the evenings?
A: Courtesy vehicle will be available on Friday and Saturday evening from Memorial
Building, or motels to any location in Devils Lake.
15.Q: What if there is an error printed on tickets?
A: Correct information will be given before tournament starts and before any drawings,
DLVFD reserves the right to make needed corrections.
16.Q: What are the locations of events.
A: Registration, dance, drawings for the raffle prizes are at the Memorial Building
which is located Downtown Devils Lake. Fishing site is Approximately 7 miles west
of Devils Lake on hwy 19.
17.Q: Does my ticket need to be stamped?
A: Only if your going to fish.
18.Q: Are tickets sold online?
A: No. Only at authorized vendors which are listed on our links.
19.Q: If I purchase more than one ticket can I fish more than one hole?
A: No, only one fishing hole per person but you may give your other tickets to another
person so that they may use it for fishing.
20.Q: What if tournament is canceled do to inclement weather (blizzard)?
A: Fishing prizes will then be drawn for at 7:00P.M. Saturday evening at the Memorial
Building.
21.Q: When would cancellation be announced?
A: Cancellation due to inclement weather (blizzard) will be determined on the morning
of the tournament. Information will be on the website and released to radio media.
22.Q: Do I have to have a ticket to get on the ice?
A: Yes, you must have a ticket whether you fish or not.

The anti-fun committee made those rules

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i've actually caught a few fish there the last couple of years. skunked for like 8 years in a row. then caught 3 or 4 in two years. then skunked again last year.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Went out once. Cold as balls with whipping wind. Couldn't keep the hole open. Made a little (I'm talking maybe 1 foot) wind break out of snow just to try and keep the line from freezing in. Got yelled at by a guy patrolling on a 4-wheeler who kicked over the snow into the ice hole. Picked up my crap and left.

Haven't been back.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
So you picked up your toys from your toybox and left rather than abide by the rules that everyone is supposed to abide by??? Although i wasn't there in your case, the ATV guys are generally coached not to yell at anyone. The Volunteer Fire Dept try to make it a friendly derby for all but yet address things if they see them. It wouldn't surprise me if one of the nearby fisherpersons narc'd on you. How come he can build a shelter and we can't? My .02 just saying

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
So you picked up your toys from your toybox and left rather than abide by the rules that everyone is supposed to abide by??? Although i wasn't there in your case, the ATV guys are generally coached not to yell at anyone. The Volunteer Fire Dept try to make it a friendly derby for all but yet address things if they see them. It wouldn't surprise me if one of the nearby fisherpersons narc'd on you. How come he can build a shelter and we can't? My .02 just saying

I think its more along the lines of "this was supposed to be fun, now im getting scolded because i'm just trying to keep this damn hole open."

On a side note, I did see the ole coffee can trick get busted out by a few "old-timers." I think I'll just buy a ticket and enjoy fishing out of my ice house with a vexilar flashing in my eyes.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
we were too told to put down chunks of snow that we had built up to block the wind --- that was years ago though. They just want to make sure they can see everything. Last time i went the roads were all water -- you fished from the banks of snow and you made sure your boots were high enough. I remember pulling my wife in the sled back to "shore" so to speak. Some totally drunk guy steps in the water is going to fight with me for no reason. I was like ok ---"all i could think of was my phone in my pocket" - i drudged foward towards him and he falls on his own (i didnt touch him i swear). The no drinking rule was abided by 750ml of fireball was empty on his chair.

Anyway a fun time - always to see someone run with a fish. Its fun to set up meet the neighbors and just kick back and relax. Its a derby --- Electronics would make it a buzz kill.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds horrible. I am sure there are a fair amount of drunken idiots

- - - Updated - - -

The commercialization of our wild life is going to be the end of it. Damn tourney guys

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
5000 holes - and may 15 fish caught the whole day --- one sconi takes twice that.

- - - Updated - - -

maybe

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Went out once. Cold as balls with whipping wind. Couldn't keep the hole open. Made a little (I'm talking maybe 1 foot) wind break out of snow just to try and keep the line from freezing in. Got yelled at by a guy patrolling on a 4-wheeler who kicked over the snow into the ice hole. Picked up my crap and left.

Haven't been back.

why would they do that???

- - - Updated - - -

what kind of cheating are they trying to avoid the with this nonsense?

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess one has to fish it to find out. going this year fist time to freeze and win a prize#$%^&>

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75