New 10x42 Binos time

frozen4sioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
After sending in my Nikons for the 83rd time to have eyecups replaced.. the binos are in the shop during hunting season. it's time.
Nikon refused to just send out replacement eyecups and that has inspired me to seek a new brand, for everything.

My budget has a hard ceiling that I have already stretched to about $600. I know my buddy's Swaros are crazy good, and his backup pair of Zeiss is awesome as well, but thats not financially possible.

I feel I can get a quality improvement for my limited use in that range. After research I have kind of narrowed it down to 3, wondering if there is any feedback or reviews

Leupold BX-4 Pro Guide 10x42 Optifade $600
- Calcium floride glass
- METAL eyecups

Vortex Viper HD 10x42 $500
- ED glass w/glasspak case

Scheels brand Vortex Rage 10x42 $500
- In store warranty

I'm really curious as to the differences in the vortex models, sure seems like the Scheels branded pair were a bit clearer and the ability to walk in and walk out with a new pair for warranty would be a nice feature.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
cant say enough positive things about my vortex viper hd's. fantastic brand and great warranty. The scheels warranty might be better if the two bino's are the same. Either way, you won't be disappointed unless you're coming from a set of swaro's.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a pair of the Vipers in 10x50. Great glass. I gave my older Nikons to my wife, and now everytime I look through them and the nikons side by side, my eyes hurt with the Nikons. I think I am going to get her some vipers sometime. I've always heard Vortex has a great warranty and CS, but I've never needed them in the 4 years I've owned the binos, scope, and spotter.

I don't know the difference in the Scheels branded ones, but like you said, might be nice to walk in a deal with somebody in store if warranty issues pop up.

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a pair of the Leu's and have been very satisfied as well. Like you said though, something to be said about being able to walk in to scheels and walk out with a new pair or whatever may be. I'd say go with what you feel comfortable with. I don't thin you'll go wrong with any of those.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe Owatana Cabelas still has a bargain cave. I'd call down and see if they have any Cabelas Euro/Meopta Meostar's in the 'Cave within your price range.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Off topic but what would be a great pair of compact, waterproof, double hinged binos in a 10-12 power with lifetime warranty and $500 range?

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would add another one for you to check in to. Maven C1 10x42. Under your budget!! (which doesn't happen often in optics suggestions)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073ZKSN89/?tag=nodakangler10-20

Maven optics are a direct to consumer company, so prices reflect that. They have quite a few different price points depending on your budget. And they recently came out with the C1 line which is there lowest price point. You can find reviews on birding and hunting forums praising their quality for price.

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=353619

https://www.rokslide.com/maven-c-1-10x42-binocular-review/

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=354071

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/optics/93783-maven-1-10x42-semi-live-review.html

- - - Updated - - -

Vortex Viper HD 10x42 $500
- ED glass w/glasspak case

Scheels brand Vortex Rage 10x42 $500
- In store warranty

I'm really curious as to the differences in the vortex models, sure seems like the Scheels branded pair were a bit clearer and the ability to walk in and walk out with a new pair for warranty would be a nice feature.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

As evident by the multitude of people who use Vortex customer service, I wouldn't be concerned about "in store warranty" vs dealing direct with Vortex CS. They are known for some of the best CS, which they have to be, because it gets used a shit ton.... I can't speak to the differences, if any, between those two Vortex models though.

Edit to add: Thread comparing the Maven C1 to Vortex Vipers
https://www.rokslide.com/forums/optics/107773-maven-1-vs-vortex-viper-hd.html

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have made up my mind I want slc but if it weren’t I would give maven heavy consideration. Avery don’t bullshit

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was in the same boat as you this summer.. Went with the Leupold BX-4 Pro Guide.. After using them since August, I feel they are a good pair of binos, but not worth $600.. If I were to do it again i would go down the vortex or scheels vortex route..

aron

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought my wife the Maven C1's and have been extremely impressed with them. I would add them to your list as well and certainly below your $600 price.

Hammer

Can't speak on 10x42, but I bought vortex viper 10x50's after winning my fantasy football league last yr. Used them a few times coyote hunting over the past winter and love them. You will not be disappointed with vortex.

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
"They won't piss you off".

That's a pretty stellar and detailed review regarding Mavin vs. Swaro.

Followed behind by the “when they break you can replace over the counter” warranty spiel. There’s a vote of confidence

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Followed behind by the “when they break you can replace over the counter” warranty spiel. There’s a vote of confidence

where did Ryan say that at? I heard him say you wont be pissed if you run them over or if your kid fucks them up. He reviews alot of stuff being the owner of Rokslide and he is not afraid to tell the truth

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I was talking in general not at all about your buddy or the video

- - - Updated - - -

The single #1 reason people recommend vortex that I hear is that the warranty is amazing

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I dont like 10x, had a pair and sold them to get my 8x, also I have a pair of 6.5x that I use prolly 70% of the time, lighter, less eye fatigue and wobble. Still good enough to see anything I want, that I wouldnt rather use a spotting scope for.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Watch cameraland they throw out good deals from time to time on all kinds of glass.
I've had a majority of glass out there, there is no one answer thats for sure.
Everyone likes certain things better than others might.
Like they say buy the best you can afford. To me that always meant don't overlook the used market.
I picked up my first pair of Swaro SLC that looked like new off ebay for $346.
Camofire has some darn good deals on glass from time to time and like SDMF mentioned those cabelas Euros are excellent glass built by Meopta. You can find used ones on ebay allot and around that $600 and they will blow away those lower level vortex that have been mentioned.

REY_off

Founding Member
Founding Member
If the Scheels branded Vortex binos are the same price as the regular Vortex Vipers. I'd go with the Vortex, for the simple reason of dealing with Scheels trying to replace them with whatever brand the have contracted to make their bino's 5-10 years from now. From what I understand Scheels (like many other stores) takes the lowest bidder and has them put the Scheels name on their products with the guarantee of buying X amount of that product. Think of it a lot like what we are seeing with the fishing rod replacement "lifetime warranty". What started out as the cats ass, is now slowly losing its luster.

At least if Vortex discontinues the viper model in the future, they would probably be more likely to upgrade you to the newest model for little or nothing.

Scheels is more than likely going to pro rate your bino's for in-store credit to spend towards the newer model.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75