Jury duty

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I was called once and served once. Federal murder trial. Very eye opening and interesting how the process works. It's a very serious process and a civic duty we have to fulfill.

Fish On!

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can't even remember how many times i have been called but have never served yet. Some i wish i could have served but never that lucky i guess. The last 5-6 times all i said to them after the interview was i will be needing a high backed comfortable chair and i also will have to stand once in awhile because of all my back and neck surgeries. Bam rejected on the spot by the prosecutor. Guessing they don't have a high back comfortable chair and they don't want a juror drawing attention away from the trial by standing up.
Anyway if i get called down here and have to go to Phoenix for a Federal trial someone will have to drive me as i am not going to drive in that rat race!
It is ones civic duty and we all should be glad we live in a place where we are entitled to a trial by jury if need be.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's the jury's job to determine innocent or guilty. It's the judges job to sentence. I was lucky because there was no question of innocence or guilty. After the judge made a comment about loving North Dakota because people cut through the bs to the truth. I would lose sleep if I found someone guilty that I was not sure of. I adhere to the old rule that it's better to let ten guilty people go than find one innocent person guilty.
Better hope that person on trial was not from outside the church (I Corinthians 5:12-13). I mean, sure we could adhere to 13 Romans, but then we'd be contradicting I Corinthians. Boy oh boy this is a head scratcher. And then there's Matthew 7:1. Which one does a guy follow?

Last edited:

Colonel Angus

Founding Member
Founding Member
called once, served once. A dui case. pretty sure they guy was guilty but all evidence to prove it was not admissible. It took me a little while to get that through to the rest of the folks on the jury that wanted to hang him out to dry.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I served once on a drunk driving trail, it sucked, was many years ago but I thought guilt was questionable, officer admitted not following proper procedure when giving breathalyzer, but then stated in his 'official opinion' it wouldnt make a difference in the results. Well in my opinion, officers arent scientists and their understanding of how the equipment works is likely limited. If you skipped steps or administered a test incorrectly, it could affect the results. I stated this in deliberation and there was an old lady who was downright abusive towards me. Very hostile and she beat me up verbally for what felt like an eternity, but was more likely an hour or so, finally I gave in and we called him guilty. Now Id probably hold out, but I was young and dumb(er?). Hope I never have to serve on a jury again.

- - - Updated - - -

called once, served once. A dui case. pretty sure they guy was guilty but all evidence to prove it was not admissible. It took me a little while to get that through to the rest of the folks on the jury that wanted to hang him out to dry.

I feel ya! I think jurors find it exciting to return a guilty charge or something, from my experience they call the defendant guilty unless able to prove beyond any doubt he/she isnt...

Colonel Angus

Founding Member
Founding Member
the guy was pulled over for a broken tail light lens. He wasn't causing any other trouble, not swerving, speeding, following to close, crossing any lines...blah blah, but evidently was over the limit on the breathalyzer which was not admitted in court. Them old ladies were after blood I tell you.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been called a handful of times, never served. Pretty good chance getting the strike when you work with the public, at least in this capacity.

Opie11

Founding Member
Founding Member
Called a few times. Served once on Grand Jury for a traffic fatality case. Just something to think about if you're trying to get out of jury duty just because you don't want to do it. If you were ever on trial for something, do you want the guys from Nodak Angler on the jury or a collection of people that don't have anything better to do with their time? I know it's a PITA to take off work and sit on a boring trial, but if it's ever me that's on trial, I hope I have a bunch of you guys and not a crap shoot of folks that like to bring back guilty verdicts for defending myself in my own home!

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never served. Probably never will. My hearing loss will get me tossed no matter what if I want to or not, I watch alot of crime drama on tv like 48 hours which feature court cases, it is a fascinating process but also can see it take a toll on the jurors because they decide the fate of the individual being tried.

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Never served. Probably never will. My hearing loss will get me tossed no matter what if I want to or not, I watch alot of crime drama on tv like 48 hours which feature court cases, it is a fascinating process but also can see it take a toll on the jurors because they decide the fate of the individual being tried.

Dont worry about hearing. They will give you headphones

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Never been called. Just as well with 40 years in law enforcement. Never heard of an
LEO, active or retired getting picked for a criminal case.

onpoint!

Established Member
called in for panel twice, same experience as fj above, former LEO history gets ya booted at least in criminal cases. I've seen enough from the prosecution's table that i'm not that interested in taking in other sessions...

Grizzly Adams

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been called twice. Served once. Last time I was called the defendant didn’t show up. Ya the judge
was not impressed at all

skywalker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Called twice, never picked. I agree I would like to do it once just for the experience.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am currently in a pool, was suppose to serve on Wednesday but it settled. Fine by as working all night, serve jury duty all day, and back to work at night would be a bit tiring. How big an issue would it have been if I pulled a no show?

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Called and served once. All circumstantial evidence but the defendant got caught lying so that made the victim more believable. Guilty. the judge must have thought so as well as he gave him 30 years.

What kind of pissed me off was 100 potential jurors were called and told to report at a certain time in the morning. I was on time and others were up to 1/2 hour late. As you can imagine it took awhile to register 100 possible jurors. After about 60 were registered, the rest were asked to leave a phone number and would be called if needed. It's a civic duty of which I will abide, but makes me wonder why I would be on time for the next one.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77