Jury duty

Browneye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Only time I was ever called i was picked to sit on a Federal case in Bismarck for one of the states bigger meth busts a couple years ago. At first I was really dreading it but once it got going it was alright. Very eye opening to hear witnesses recount how cars filled with meth were driven thru the US border and then loaded into gas tanks of vehicles and driven into ND. I anticipated being bored most of the time but the 3 days flew by pretty quickly. The evidence against this Guy was pretty overwhelming and it was a very quick decision but I could see how it could suck being on a split jury with murky evidence to work with. Overall I would have to call it a very positive experience.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been there WW, It can be a hassle when you have a demanding job , I found out that's not a valid excuse. 40 years ago on a two day trial, Pusher had to run the rig . Turned out to be a multi generation Hatfield McCoy type of setting so it was boring. I was young and wasn't really in to it at the time and it hurt to pass up oilfield wages for jury duty wages but like other have said it's our duty. I have been summoned twice since and had the time and actually wanted to serve but was kicked out once and the other settled out of court.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
My number has come up several times, but I was only held over to be interviewed by the lawyers to see if I would actually serve. While sitting and waiting to be questioned I sat next to a retired Navy officer. He was so critical of how long the process was taking. He had sat on court martials in the Navy. He got questioned just before me. When the defense lawyer learned that he was a retired Navy officer and had sat on court martials - BAM, he was GONE!!!

Me next. Again the defense lawyer ... when he learned that I was a degreed BSCE which is mainly math and the answers are right or wrong - BAM, I was GONE! He needed jurors that saw the grey areas in decisions.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've never registered to vote and have never been called. Go figure. Think I'll keep not voting

Are you part of the problem that ND got saddled with Heidi for 6 years??? Wouldn't want to admit to that.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Everybody should vote , I look at it as a freedom and a way to express my opinion. I wish there was more quality educational information than some of the hogwash I've been getting in the mail. I agree more with the majority on here more than I disagree so I hope everyone reading this will get out and vote.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have never not voted in a national election - either during the presidential year or a mid term. Doing my 4 years in VN I voted absentee. I remember watching the 1960 results come in with Dad when JFK won. My first election to vote in was 1964.

Funny story ... 1980 and wife and I lived in Victoria, Tx. Reagan was running obviously, but so was Libertarian John Anderson and we kinda liked what he was saying. Eventually I said I'm voting for Reagan, but wifey was adamant about voting for Anderson. Wednesday morning I got up first and got the paper, and ... Anderson got ZERO votes in our precinct. BUSTED!!!

She said "I can't believe NO ONE voted for him"!!!

ps: Since I moved to CA, my vote hasn't mattered much in a national election except 1984.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have been voting absentee for quite a few years now. Way easier and don't have to worry come election day about something coming up and not getting out to vote.
I can't understand people not voting and so many of them are the bitchers about who is in office.

Mgx2400

Honored Member
13775968_644795432336025_3933279639784806847_n.jpg

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just got called for the first time for Nov 6. Timing couldn't suck more. I had that week off to bow hunt in SD. I know, civic duty and so forth... ;:;banghead

Tell them that you can't make it - it's more of a civic duty to VOTE!

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just got the letter that I was selected for federal jury duty in Bismarck. The little I read in the letter I think it stated I could be selected for a trial anytime between March and August. That'd be a real dick punch to be selected for a trial any time during that. I farm and ranch, no way in hell I'm leaving during calving in April or May.
I've been selected for jury duty in the county twice before. Always during calving, first time had to go to the jury selection process to ask to be excused, judge excused me. Next time the trial was scheduled during calving, wrote a letter to the judge explaining my situation and asked to be excused, didn't excuse me. Fortunately that one was settled out of court.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just got the letter that I was selected for federal jury duty in Bismarck. The little I read in the letter I think it stated I could be selected for a trial anytime between March and August. That'd be a real dick punch to be selected for a trial any time during that. I farm and ranch, no way in hell I'm leaving during calving in April or May.
I've been selected for jury duty in the county twice before. Always during calving, first time had to go to the jury selection process to ask to be excused, judge excused me. Next time the trial was scheduled during calving, wrote a letter to the judge explaining my situation and asked to be excused, didn't excuse me. Fortunately that one was settled out of court.

Those cattle aren't going to birth themselves...............

walleyeman_1875

★★★ Legendary Member

Same here. Maybe I’ll see you there.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got called once. Picked to serve. Three day trial. It was a great experience.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have been called twice. Ajust work or vacation and then the day before trial its gets settled out of court.;:;rofl;:;rofl;:;rofl;:;rofl;:;rofl.

Pheasant 54

★★★ Legendary Member
I served on a fairly minor drug case in 2018, we found the guy innocent in about 5 minutes of deliberation . All of us got cornered as we were leaving asking how we found him innocent, which I didn't feel was appropriate

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 102
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66