Jury duty

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Sucks. That is all.

No seriously I just got to serve for the first time. I can say its interesting how the process works. But is very long and drawn out.

Just curious who has served? Or how may times you've been called. I've only been called 2 or 3 times and first time served.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been called 5 or 6 times, have had to serve twice.

I agree, the process is interesting. It's all a part of being an American!

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been called once.....served once. Was interesting, but not a significant case. I felt like I was letting work duties down, but reminded myself it's what it means to be American

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I’ve been called 3 times never had to serve. I actually have always wanted to though just to see the process. I’ve also watched a shitload of crime documentaries so I feel like a bit of an expert

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I’ve been called 3 times never had to serve. I actually have always wanted to though just to see the process. I’ve also watched a shitload of crime documentaries so I feel like a bit of an expert

Not as interesting as seen on tv for sure!

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Got called twice...never served...last one was for a murder trial in Minot 3 years ago.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
2 calls as well but both were settled out of court. Really messes up a day for me since I can’t schedule anyone, just in case.

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
been called 4 times, never served yet, but figure if I ever have to serve that when I state I was Military MP for 13 years most will disqualify me for it. If that doesn't work I figure I will just say can I flip the switch if found guilty and that may get me dismissed. dukgnfsn

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Drunken driving case. During jury selection it is fun to watch individuals come up with reasons why they cannot serve. Biased against the prosecutor because he nailed my brother for drunken driving or personally know the defendant.

Me, I said I'm from the other end of the county and don't recognize anyone here.....boom, I was on. I wanted to be on.

Most times your jobsite will pay you 8 hours even if you are not there because they recognize it is our civic duty to serve. Heavy emphasis on most times.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been called 4 times, nixed on the first day by either prosecution or defense. When I asked the lawyers why after the process was complete, they said because I was a military officer. When I queried further, I was told that military officers make lousy jurors because of their ability to voice opinions, analyze situations, and sway peoples minds. I guess the lawyers want to do that instead of jurors.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Been called 4 times, nixed on the first day by either prosecution or defense. When I asked the lawyers why after the process was complete, they said because I was a military officer. When I queried further, I was told that military officers make lousy jurors because of their ability to voice opinions, analyze situations, and sway peoples minds. I guess the lawyers want to do that instead of jurors.
They (the lawyers) get paid the big bucks to do that, jurors don't even break even.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
ha ha ha... which is so weird because KDM is a pretty much a wall flower who always follows the crowd

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got the letter twice, but was called both times that the cases were settled outside of court. Always wanted to be on a jury to experience the actual process.

ND 41 Hunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Called 6 times. Served once on DWI case- not guilty. Excused once after questioning because I grew up milking cows and have been kicked- case was guy kicked in head and suing for permanent double vision. Federal district court- made it thru questioning and then excused. Last case I was sitting waiting for jury selection and one of the attorney's children died- case was postponed and everyone sent home.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been served notice five times and three of those were settled before the trial. The two I did attend I was questioned I was disqualified both times by the defense. The first disqualification was because of my name and relation to a sibling in the medical sector, and the other disqualification because I stated that "If the defendant was found guilty I would prefer the strongest end of sentencing". Yeah, attorneys for the defendant don't want to hear that and automatically submits your name for the boot.

Sorry, that's how I feel about criminals. Our justice system gives out too damn many hall passes, IMO. ;:;banghead

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
how do you sleep at night?
It's the jury's job to determine innocent or guilty. It's the judges job to sentence. I was lucky because there was no question of innocence or guilty. After the judge made a comment about loving North Dakota because people cut through the bs to the truth. I would lose sleep if I found someone guilty that I was not sure of. I adhere to the old rule that it's better to let ten guilty people go than find one innocent person guilty.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76