Jury duty

RPNLPS

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I just tell them that I don’t care what they did I’m going to find them guilty!!!
Works every time ! I don’t vote either ! There is no one person I have ever seen fit to vote for !!! Lots of douche bags with lots of money and no common sense!!!!! Merica!!!!!

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
In talking with the person who runs the juror pool, they get prospective jurors from multiple sources. Voting is only one of them.

I too just finished a few months ago with the federal jury standby. Just make sure if you plan on being out of the area to let them know in advance and you'll be excused from jury duty. I took my kids to Glacier and had no issues with getting excused for a vacation.

MuleyMadness

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I served on a fairly minor drug case in 2018, we found the guy innocent in about 5 minutes of deliberation . All of us got cornered as we were leaving asking how we found him innocent, which I didn't feel was appropriate

I am assuming it was by the states attorney? This sounds awfully shady

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am assuming it was by the states attorney? This sounds awfully shady

After a criminal assault trial that I served as the jury foreman (they actually use a different term, but I don't remember it offhand) both the prosecuting attorney and defense attorney caught up to me outside the courtroom and they took turns asking me questions about what we thought was important and how they presented their cases. It was really a no-brainer for us on the jury, the prosecutor didn't really have squat for evidence (no witness as the victims couldn't even ID their attacker) but the defense attorney stupidly put his client on the stand and he actually confessed to assaulting the two victims. So it was easy to find the guy guilty of the assault charge. What we couldn't find him guilty of though was the more serious charge of using a weapon. I suspect he did, but without proof there were no jurors leaning towards it.

In the end, the dude was a POS who got at least some time out of his misadventures.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
The case i served on was a burglary/breaking and entering issue. Throughout the trial something didn’t seem right about the whole thing. You knew damn well the guy was in the place. But the DA wasn’t playing all his cards you could tell. They found DNA and never disclosed what they found even though the perp said when asked that they would find his DNA there. He was a former employee of the company he broke into. Well my son is a cop and after the trial I quizzed him about it because there were so many holes in the whole thing. He told me they had him dead to rights in the place with DNA and all but the damn DA’s office has such a bad habit of not providing evidence to the defense in a timely matter that the judge finally made an example out of him. So the guy basically walked.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds like the rez lol

I got my wife to vote once, one time and THE ONLY time she ever voted. She got called for jury duty 7 months later LOL.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
With the technology we have today it would be cool if a person could serve on a jury VIA interactive video conferencing. Makes sense to have jurors from another region serve on a jury.

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I served one time. Kind of knew the kid and came in with a predetermined guilty verdict. The county did such a shitty job of proving their case that I found myself arguing for a not guilty verdict. Doubt that he didn't do it, but the prosecution has to at least try to make him look guilty. Everyone involved should have been fired.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
The case i served on was a burglary/breaking and entering issue. Throughout the trial something didn’t seem right about the whole thing. You knew damn well the guy was in the place. But the DA wasn’t playing all his cards you could tell. They found DNA and never disclosed what they found even though the perp said when asked that they would find his DNA there. He was a former employee of the company he broke into. Well my son is a cop and after the trial I quizzed him about it because there were so many holes in the whole thing. He told me they had him dead to rights in the place with DNA and all but the damn DA’s office has such a bad habit of not providing evidence to the defense in a timely matter that the judge finally made an example out of him. So the guy basically walked.

Darn scary profession to be in since Obummer was in office. :;:exactly
Thank him for his service if you would be so kind! :;:thumbsup

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
With the technology we have today it would be cool if a person could serve on a jury VIA interactive video conferencing. Makes sense to have jurors from another region serve on a jury.
The problem is you have to be sequestered and are not allowed to discuss the case during the trial. Not even to other jurors until you are sent to deliberate.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
The problem is you have to be sequestered and are not allowed to discuss the case during the trial. Not even to other jurors until you are sent to deliberate.

Seems like they could potentially pick a jury that is spread out across the US with very little chance that jurors know each other and without contact information so recorded IVC being the only way to communicate. When I was on a jury many years ago our spokesperson on the jury was a classmate and a good friend, We didn't communicate about the case then and after all these years we still never have but we easily could have.

- - - Updated - - -

Just seems to me that it would probably be more of a fair trial if the jurors were in their comfort zone. When I served it was not a major case and one thing we all agreed on is that this case was a grudge match with nothing to win but pride and a way to get even but there were differences in opinion among the jury during deliberation , I was missing out on oilfield wages and didn't want to be there so I pretty much went along with the flow and did what I could make it quick and speedy.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
What I find interesting is that they summon you by mail, but not certified mail. If you keep throwing the thing in the trash how would they prove you got the thing? It sure wouldn't stand up in court;-)

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
What I find interesting is that they summon you by mail, but not certified mail. If you keep throwing the thing in the trash how would they prove you got the thing? It sure wouldn't stand up in court;-)
interesting you bring that up. We almost had to delay the trial because half the pool didn’t show up because they no longer lived here in the oil patch. They had to phone up alternates and get thing to come in. Delayed jury selection till late in the day

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member

The last several times I've received a jury notice, there was a registration process/questionnaire. I'm guessing that since each juror gets a unique number that some type of follow-up contact would come your way if you don't return the questionnaire or register online.

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
;:;banghead have to report again. I just got off the 2 year waiting list. :mad:

Lou63

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have recieved several letters over the years letting me know I was in the pool in case there was a need for a jury.
Had to report 1 time,

I finished my 12 hour shift at 7 am I went home showered and ate and reported to the courthouse. Had to sit through about 2 hours of people claiming to know or be related to the accused so they could get off the jury.

The Judge finally asked if anyone else had an excuse/reason to be dismissed. Told him about no sleep, just finishing my shift and showering etc. He said thank you to me for showering and asked if I would be able to stay awake and alert to which I said no. He told me to go home and get some sleep and thanked me for showing up.

Also there have been numerous letters for jury duty sent to my address for my kids that hadn't lived in North Dakota for up to a decade.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am on notice for a potential state trial in Bismarck for 3 months. Filled out the questionnaire, and have heard nothing back. I could careless if called, but if I am I sure hope its a good one.

sierra1995

Founding Member
Founding Member
i reported and sat on a jury for a 2 day trial about a month ago in burleigh county. It was cool to experience the process. it was my first time ever having to report to the courthouse. all the other times have been settled prior too.

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got selected for jury duty again. Last year it was Fed jury duty, this time its local. I was able to be excused from federal by writing and asking to be excused. I wrote and asked to be excused this time as well as they always select me during calving time. I was denied, I hope the trial gets settled before the time. Maybe I should have asked to trade trial dates to a different time of year. I should have just thrown that first letter away and acted like it was lost in the mail.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75