Jigging rap rod

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Jigging raps with a baitcaster? My arm hurts just thinking about it.

I prefer any spinning set up with fast action or extra fast, from 6- 6'-6"

A. Dont bash it try it --- baitcasters work well for jigging raps -- use the flipping switch. They dont weigh any more -- try one in one hand and spinning int he other. This time of year the method i use -- a baitcaster is less erratic and works better for me.

B. As far as all the brand names being thrown out and sizes (advertising) --- without mention the weight of Jig rap (my head shakes). Pick your rod length and action on the size of the rap.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
A. Dont bash it try it --- baitcasters work well for jigging raps -- use the flipping switch. They dont weigh any more -- try one in one hand and spinning int he other. This time of year the method i use -- a baitcaster is less erratic and works better for me.

B. As far as all the brand names being thrown out and sizes (advertising) --- without mention the weight of Jig rap (my head shakes). Pick your rod length and action on the size of the rap.

The heavies they make. 7/8 for jig rap. 1 ounce for shiver. 1-1/8 for puppet minnow. Etc.

honkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I understand the lure weight has a play in it for sure. Just was wondering what everyone prefers for action and length as well. I’m going to try building a little shorter medium Weight mod/fast action spinning rod and see how I like it. I definitely do like using a baitcaster for adjusting for depth if I’m Near vertical jigging it or working ducer fish. I actually prefer a baitcaster for casting something as heavy as a jigging rap too.
I do appreciate all of the feedback!!
thanks folks!

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Getting your cadence down is probably more important than the rod. I use braid/nano on all my rods but thinking about going to mono for jig rapping or staying with super line and going to a softer rod. Some days it’s a real bitch keeping fish buttoned up on them things. Thinking maybe some more give somewhere might help. (I always go atleast a size up on the belly treble too)

- - - Updated - - -

brute.jpg
Unless they woof it then your line and rod doesn’t matter - that’s the ideal scenario

Can you give some instruction on the cadence? I don't catch shit on them. Even when they are biting really good they don't seem to work. My damn brother can use a no paint left banged up jig with a Zebco 404 ( I'm FN serious that's what he jigs with) and out fish me every time. He thinks I'm nuts when I try those especially with no bait, I get laughed at.

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
Al Lindner says to use about a 6'6" ML rod or shorter and mono. Says that mono makes a huge difference in landing more fish. I sure as hell am not going to argue against him and that setup has worked well for me. If I'm out in 25-30 feet though, then I sometimes go to a medium action rod with braid.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77