South Dakota Pheasant Hunting

love2hunt

Founding Member
Founding Member
Going to South Dakota (Aberdeen) for first time with my father in law and my father to chase pheasants and just curious on a couple different things if I can get some help from you guys. If private land isn't posted in South Dakota can a guy hunt it like North Dakota or is everything considered posted if its not public land? Do we only need the small game license or is there another license that i'm going to need? I've never hunted out of state anything other than bow hunting in Minnesota and we hunt the right way and really don't want to screw something up by mistake. Also, of course I need to throw this out there since i've already created a form... any ideas on areas to go? Any help would be great guys, just want to do it the right way and I do not consider a great hunt limiting out although it would be nice. I consider a great hunt good times with the old guys in my life, watching the pup hunt and doing it all legal. Thank you.

MathewsZman

Founding Member
Founding Member
All land requires permission unless posted as walk in or gfp production area . Can also hunt school and public land . You can get a hunters atlas or go on line and down load same .

- - - Updated - - -

Also need to use steel shot on most public land or road ditches adjacent to gfp land .

- - - Updated - - -

Used to be you didn't need steel in walk-in areas . Don't know if that changed or not .

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go west of Aberdeen like 80 miles ish along the river is a good start. Crops coming off been seeing more birds driving every night

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just a curious question, what's the idea behind the noon/10am time restriction? You guys just like to sleep in down there??:confused:

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just a curious question, what's the idea behind the noon/10am time restriction? You guys just like to sleep in down there??:confused:
From what I understand, its to give the birds a chance to feed in the AM, then let them head for cover??

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member

The birds stand on the gravel roads like fricken morons in the morning. It's designed to make it more sporting.

Small game license is the only requirement.
You can hunt the ditches, but if you down one beyond the ditch, you must either get permission, or leave your weapon to retrieve it.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member

From what I understand, its to give the birds a chance to feed in the AM, then let them head for cover??

Its so when you get oiled up the night before with all your buddys you are not out walking around drunk. I like it so i can shoot a limit of ducks then quick pile up pheasants and go out for evening bite and fill the live well

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like it so i can shoot a limit of ducks then quick pile up pheasants and go out for evening bite and fill the live well
Ah yes, the old SD triple crown. I've done it many times. Last week I was in Pierre and completed a modified version with coyotes, prairie dogs, and walleyes. The first two... not as tasty...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74