Western Elk Hunting 2018

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Or better yet, rent Llamas and haul your own crap in. And then you have the flexibility to move camp as needed.
My nephew has lamas and horses. When they were caught in a blizzard on top of he Beartooth Wilderness and hunkered down under a tarp the old lama laid outside and looked as if he was enjoying the day.

The outfitter in Cody, Wyoming said their sites they pack people to. No way do I want to hunt with a guide. Besides I would rather go multiple times on my own than once with a guide. The hunt is more important than the kill. That and what pride do you have with someone guiding you?

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
The outfitter in Cody, Wyoming said their sites they pack people to. No way do I want to hunt with a guide. Besides I would rather go multiple times on my own than once with a guide. The hunt is more important than the kill. That and what pride do you have with someone guiding you?[/QUOTE]

Don't know how much pride has to do with it, more so as time. If a guy don't have the time to properly scout/hunt an area or can only afford to go once every 3-5 years then yeah a guided trip may be the best option. Each their own, I have done guided, drop camp and DIY for elk. I like the drop camp myself, just about everything you need is there and you can focus more on hunting than packing/preparing.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know... I've hunted elk in 3 entirely different places with nothing to go on except satellite imagery and intuition. I've found elk every time. If I ever get too old to haul all my shit up the mountain on my back, I might look into a drop camp.

If you are allowed to tell the drop-camp provider when and where you want to be taken, that's a different story. If you're relying on an outfitter to provide all the stuff you need AND a spot, I'm still in the "Sucker's Bet" category.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 156
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 79