Western Elk Hunting 2018

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
As the snow starts to stick in the higher elevations out here in Montucky, I’m starting to see more elk moving down towards their winter range. Thought I’d start a thread to discuss with those that have been/plan on coming out west to chase wapiti.

I haven’t punched my general tag yet, but it’s not for lack of elk. Seems every time I’ve gone out during rifle season it’s been 70° or I spot them 2 minutes before shooting light ends. Weather is starting to turn and there’s 22 days left. Hopes are still high.

How’d everyone else do so far?

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
How’d everyone else do so far?
I have a son that hunts out near Helena. This year he only got to hunt three hours before he took a moderate bull with his bow. He has shot most of his elk with a bow. I think one year he did make it to rifle season and then shot it with his 270. I like the Helena area for the public land and lack of the libs you find in Boseman.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Elk Schmelk, You've got mountain grouse to chase in that country!

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Elk Schmelk, You've got mountain grouse to chase in that country!
Don’t worry, I’ve taken full advantage of the ruffs and blues. Turns out my ND duck dog is a damn fine grouse dog too

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
Going on the 12th for 10 days . Got a deer A tag a deer B (muley doe) tag and a elk b (cow tag) in the breaks . Hoping to get my two deer done first day or two (hunt a big private ranch so shouldn't be tough ) and then concentrate on a big cow

m77hunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ll be headed back out in the next couple weeks. I was there Oct 25-28, but it was so warm with so many people. I’m hoping the weather moves them back out of the high nasty ground.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Boy I love elk hunting but damn do I suck at it. Idaho has officially made me its bitch. Maybe year four will be my year. Post up some picks of your guys hunts

Founding Member
Founding Member
Building preference points back up is a pain these days, but its worth it!
Love bowhunting the big stinky buggers! I have 18 pp for Utah thou so that's about to happen! :;:rockit

My Wy bull shot at 27 yards with an Ulmer edge, he went maybe 50 yds.

IMG_1592_filtered (2)2.jpg

forest fires made for a cool sunset on the way back home!

1 (2).jpg

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Boy I love elk hunting but damn do I suck at it. Idaho has officially made me its bitch. Maybe year four will be my year. Post up some picks of your guys hunts

Are you sure you’re hunting an area that holds elk at the time of year you’re hunting them? Are you seeing or hearing any?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are you sure you’re hunting an area that holds elk at the time of year you’re hunting them? Are you seeing or hearing any?

We have seen cows but bull only have seen a few different bulls. Lots of sign and heard them but it’s a over the counter unit that is tough I knew that going in. With my brother living in Boise we are going to switch things up since he can put boots on the ground way more often

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have seen cows but bull only have seen a few different bulls. Lots of sign and heard them but it’s a over the counter unit that is tough I knew that going in. With my brother living in Boise we are going to switch things up since he can put boots on the ground way more often

So you're seeing elk. Are they too far? Edge of the unit/private ground? Someone else is already on them? Are you seeing fresh sign or chalky white scat and tracks that would denote a "summering" area that doesn't necessarily hold elk during and post-rut?

I know you're packing in past where most do, however, I wonder if you're beginning to camp where others stop hunting on purpose?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Couple bulls in private a few were in reachable with a chopper. Fresh crap nice and shiny found tracks. Seen guys kill elk it’s just such a huge area to figure out in a week

- - - Updated - - -

The horse guys are going in a ways further

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Couple bulls in private a few were in reachable with a chopper. Fresh crap nice and shiny found tracks. Seen guys kill elk it’s just such a huge area to figure out in a week

- - - Updated - - -

The horse guys are going in a ways further

Do the horse guys go higher, or up over the top then back down the other side to lower public you can't access from the bottom on the other side?

Regarding horses, I wouldn't put it past an awful lot of outfitters to take people on a long pony ride that zaps a LOT of their willingness to do much of anything once in camp then take a long pony ride back out. Essentially a nice pony ride/camping trip in beautiful country with virtually 0 chance of killing an elk.

Not to beat the dead obvious horse, but, Elk have to have food, and more importantly, water. When you spot "helicopter elk", IME, that's they're bedding area as there's not typically much food or water in those areas. Figure out where they're eating and drinking then either sit on that source or get between the food/water and bedding ground. Running a set of tracks backwards to food/water might be more productive that giving chase.......

Last edited:

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Regarding horses, I wouldn't put it past an awful lot of outfitters to take people on a long pony ride that zaps a LOT of their willingness to do much of anything once in camp then take a long pony ride back out. Essentially a nice pony ride/camping trip in beautiful country with virtually 0 chance of killing an elk.
I checked the price of a drop camp in Wyoming a few years ago. When I talked with other guides they said they didn't do drop camps and the guys that do will drop you where there are no elk and save the elk for their high paying customers. I called a place back and told them where I wanted to go. The price went from $1500 for five miles back to $2500 five miles back. I asked why. They said it was a tougher trail. I had checked that before I called. Not a tougher trail. Sooooooo I have my ideas. Back when I called a full guided hunt was $3000 so why so expensive for a drop camp where I wanted to be?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Unless you've hunted an area recently, I view elk drop camps as a serious "suckers bet". With elk success rats running in the ~25% range in traditional "elk hunting" states and NR success in those states roughly in the low teens an outfitter can "drop camp" you anywhere they want and tell you "that's hunting" when you don't get a critter.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know... I've hunted elk in 3 entirely different places with nothing to go on except satellite imagery and intuition. I've found elk every time. If I ever get too old to haul all my shit up the mountain on my back, I might look into a drop camp.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
Drop camps are a joke. I know many people who have done that with very little to no action. ...Figure out where you want to go and hire a pack service to haul you and your camp into an area of your choosing. Have them on speed dial to pack you and meat out if required.

Or better yet, rent Llamas and haul your own crap in. And then you have the flexibility to move camp as needed.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 75