E3 elk

dirtytough

I saw some elk in E3 today if anyone still has a tag to fill. 20+ elk. 5 were bulls. None were big bulls though.

Let me know if you need help. 701 six 9 zero 3491

Regards, Branden

dirtytough

I saw a bunch more today in E3. At least 3 bulls. Never pulled out the spotter but one looked decent.

Regards, Branden

dirtytough

Here's a little bull I saw yesterday.
32116231428_49b1c74226_z.jpg

frozen4sioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
As strange as it is, Ive spent a lot of time out in the badlands and lived in ND my whole life, and Ive never actually seen an elk in the wild.

It was my goal this season to run across some but to no luck this year. I heard some far off bugling this year while sitting up on a ridge overlooking the little Missouri but couldnt spot them at all.

Didnt have time to specifically pursue them as the hunt for deer had some time and weather constraints.

Are there certain areas, other than outside the park fences that they tend to gather in?

Almost never out there without running into some bighorns but never the elk.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
As strange as it is, Ive spent a lot of time out in the badlands and lived in ND my whole life, and Ive never actually seen an elk in the wild.

It was my goal this season to run across some but to no luck this year. I heard some far off bugling this year while sitting up on a ridge overlooking the little Missouri but couldnt spot them at all.

Didnt have time to specifically pursue them as the hunt for deer had some time and weather constraints.

Are there certain areas, other than outside the park fences that they tend to gather in?

Almost never out there without running into some bighorns but never the elk.

Its funny, I've heard this from other people as well. Maybe i'm just lucky, but in the 3 years I've been bow hunting in the badlands I've seen elk every year, and usually multiple different Elk in different areas. The last two years I've been within 150 yds of large 6x6 bulls on public land, I was nowhere near the park or any road. I'm sure if i actually had a tag I wouldn't see shit.

There hasn't been any ryme or reason to where they were, basically just in random spots in the same areas i was bow hunting.

Last edited:

dirtytough

I think the main thing is to get as far away from people as possible and you will run across some. I did see some extremely close to a main road the other morning right at first light. A couple hours later they were a few miles deep. Yesterday I ended up seeing at least 17. I was looking for a specific buck and had elk on 3 sides. I didn’t count them all and after the shot I noticed there was another bull about 300 yards from me.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 102
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66