Taxidermist Recommendations?

Uncle Rico

Just wondering if anyone has recommendations for a good taxidermist to do a whitetail shoulder mount in the eastern 1/3 of the state? I've heard about Risovi and J&K as being at the top end, but I'm looking for other options that do great deer work.

How much should one expect to pay for a shoulder mount these days?

Hope everyone is having some luck, seems like the action picked up a bit in the last couple days in the north central part of the state....

Thanks
UR

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where are u located and how far are you willing to drive? Congrats on the future wall decor!

I would faithfully recommend any of the following as they all do FINE work:
Rory Lorenz out of Lawton nd
Troy Peterson out of Cando nd
Devin hursman out of Osnabrock nd

I have had a married couple (relatives north of devils lake) do all 7 of my shoulder mounts that I could ask as well if interested. Their add-on looks like cabelas inside.
Feel free to pm me on any info!

Last edited:

Uncle Rico

Thanks for the info....

It is actually for my brother. I live just inside Imperial Cass County. Obviously closer would be better, but I think he would consider anything within a couple hours of here.....

Thanks again, and hope others will chime in as well...

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
Jason smith in jamestown does really nice work. He’s got stuff on his facebook. Have had greg kolstad in sheyenne do a few critters that turned out good too. Guessing you can expect to pay $6-700 ballpark.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Always make sure and ask to see pictures of thier work. In taxidermy you don’t always get what you pay for. Lately I have been seeing some shotty work that people have posted on Facebook. I’m some cases they are just starting out, thier work looks terrible, and they are charging top dollar. Not sure how that works. S and S Taxidermy in Minot does some primo work!

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
just don't get a deer with a smile. Saw one of those recently. wow. Great taxidermists aren't cheap but go to a first class guy. Don't skimp for a mount that'll be in your house for decades.

Last edited:

Iceman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rory did mine excellent work. Quick turn around $500. Only place I’ll ever go if I get another wall hanger

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
You say you’ve heard about Risovi and J&K so why would u look somewhere else?

so many people say so and so does a good job and they’re cheap. Then I look at their Mounts and I wouldn’t hang them on my wall.

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm a huge fan of quality taxidermy work.
I've always told anyone that has asked about what taxidermist to use that "you have to look at it the rest of your life, spend the extra $200 bucks!"
Risovi has won the WORLD Master division for whitetail taxidermy, it does not get any better than that!

I made this years ago and it says it all.

taxidermy.jpg

Last edited:

measure-it

Founding Member
Founding Member
Jim Benson @ Sportsman's Taxidermy Studio in East Grand Forks, Mn. (612) 773-663-7972. He's been doing top quality work for years, and he's fair priced. Not the cheapest,but fair and excellent work.

SerchforPerch

★★★ Legendary Member
Thanks I just added some new taxi's to my list for big game to check out.. Anyone have any recommendations for Pheasnat and waterfowl??

iceeyes

IMG_1174.jpgThis was my latest one that I just got back a few weeks ago and I think our 12th head from Lawrence Ketterling. Does some awesome work for us over the years.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are you kidding me. Lawrence still does taxidermy that's awesome!
I've never met the man, but when I was a kid I lucked out and shot a big muley in the badlands. My first deer, I think I was 14 and it ended up winning the big buck contest. I came from a poor single mother household and the men of our small sportsmans club took my buck to a taxidermist to have it mounted. This was in the early 80s and they took it from western ND way down to Lawrence there in Lehr.
I shoveled allot of snow and mowed many lawns to pay for it. Do you know what he charged back then? $75!!! Yes seventy five dollars, crazy!
A member of the club even went and got it for me, to them I will always be grateful. And it has aged well, it really doesn't even look to darn bad to this day! :;:cheers

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
Frenchy's Taxidermy in Minot does real quality work. Got one back from him last year and it is very impressive. Know a couple other guys who have taken birds and deer to him as well. No complaints.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 160
  • This month: 138
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 80