Anyone make pemmican?

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was thinking it might be fun to try to make some with deer scraps this year. Anyone ever try making any? Suggestions or recipes? I found this article that has some info...

https://www.wildernesscollege.com/pemmican-recipes.html

Why after I insert a link, does everything else I type look like its still a link? Huh V?

Id rather use some type of oil, maybe coconut instead of fat/lard, not sure how that would work...

[h=1]Four Pemmican Recipes[/h]
xpemmican-recipes-pic-1.jpg.pagespeed.ic.9MKiyUkgym.jpg

By Filip Tkaczyk
Are you looking for some excellent pemmican recipes?
Wait, what is this thing called pemmican and where did it come from?
For starters, pemmican is originally a Cree word for rendered fat. Pemmican is a food used by a variety of Native peoples for many generations, and was adopted by the fur traders in the 18th and 19th centuries. It likely originates from North America. Native American scouts who spent a great deal of time on the go depended on having portable, high-energy, highly nutritious, and filling foods that would last for long periods of time. Often times pemmican was their food of choice.
This amazing stuff is a dried mixture of meat, berries and rendered fat (also called suet or tallow). It is an invaluable survival food that when prepared properly using good pemmican recipes can last anywhere from several months to several years without refrigeration!
Pemmican is a great asset to have with you while exploring the wilderness even today. Though most classic pemmican recipes require the use of meat and fat, it is also possible to make it vegetarian as described below.
Here are some great pemmican recipes you can try out to make this amazing food. Try out the following 4 recipes and see which one you like best!
[h=2]Pemmican Recipes
Recipe # 1[/h] Ingredients:

• 4 cups lean meat (deer, beef, caribou or moose)
  • 3 cups dried fruit
  • 2 cups rendered fat
  • Unsalted nuts and about 1 shot of honey
Instructions:
Meat should be as lean as possible and double ground from your butcher if you do not have you own meat grinder. Spread it out very thin on a cookie sheet and dry at 180 degrees F for at least 8 hours or until sinewy and crispy. Pound the meat into a nearly powder consistency using a blender or other tool. Grind the dried fruit, but leave a little bit lumpy for fun texture. Heat rendered fat on stove at medium until liquid. Add liquid fat to dried meat and dried fruit, and mix in nuts and honey. Mix everything by hand. Let cool and store. Can keep and be consumed for several years.
[h=2]Recipe # 2[/h] Ingredients:

• 2 lbs dried beef (see recipe 1 for drying instructions)
  • 1.5 cup raisins
  • Beef suet
Instructions:
Grind meat to fine pulp in a blender. Now add in the raisins. Chop this mix enough to break up the raisins and mix in well. Melt the suet to a liquid and pour into the mixture, using just enough to hold the meat and raisins together. Now allow this to cool slightly. Put this into a pan and let it cool completely. Next, cut the pemmican into strips, than divide it into bars of about 4” long by 1” wide. Bag these separately and you can store them for several months.

xsmall-wilderness-certification-2018.jpg.pagespeed.ic.fPPmiMegtu.jpg

Train to Become a Wilderness Skills Expert

Earn a Certificate in Wilderness Skills Education.
Apply to Our Wilderness Certification Course Today!
Learn More

[h=2]Recipe # 3[/h] Ingredients:

• Dried lean beef, buffalo, or venison (see recipe 1 for drying instructions)
  • Beef suet
  • Seedless dried fruit
Instructions:
Melt the suet until it becomes golden brown and liquid. Strain out any solids. If you cool it, re-melt it and strain it again it will improve the shelf life of the pemmican. Grind the meat into a powder. Chop or grind dried fruit and add it to meat. Pour liquid suet onto meat/fruit mixture. Mixes best if suet is warm, and allows you to use less of it. Now, press the pemmican into a tin using a spoon. Let cool in the fridge, than turn it out and cut into bars the size of candy bars. Wrap each bar in wax paper or paper lunch bag, label and store.
[h=2]Recipe # 4[/h] Ingredients:

• 2 cups dates
  • 3 cups powdered jerky (or powdered tofu-jerky)
  • 2 cups raisins
  • Honey (as a binding agent, add as much as needed)
  • 2 cups nuts
Instructions:
Grind all this material together, except for the honey. Add in the honey a little bit at a time, and mix well each time. Pour into pan until about three quarters of an inch thick or make them directly into bars. Refrigerate and cut bars out of pan. This is a sweet concoction and in cold climates, honey can be replaced with suet and processed just as in pemmican recipes seen above.
[h=2]Tips for making good pemmican[/h] Here are some tips for you to improve your ability to use pemmican recipes properly, and make good pemmican:

• Talk to your local butcher to acquire the suet. A local co-op butcher might have the healthiest choices in terms of organic meats. You may be able to acquire the suet for free in certain places.
  • When rendering (melting) the suet, be careful not to burn it or make it smoke.
  • The warmer the climate you are going to be using the pemmican in, the less fat you need in it.
  • This is also true for the time of year. Use less fat for the summer time, more for winter.
  • Label what you make, especially if you try different recipes.
Lastly, remember to experiment with your own recipes. The key points for making pemmican are to make sure that you render the fat (suet) properly and to make sure that the meat and fruit you put into the recipe are very dry, not cooked or partially dry.
Try making some pemmican of your own today!

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I make deer jerky by air drying it. Not a dehydrater or smoker. Best jerky I have ever eaten. Not sure if that is considered pemmican or not.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds good, but what's the preservative? Seems humidity would rehydrate the stuff and microbes would grow without salt or something.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds good, but what's the preservative? Seems humidity would rehydrate the stuff and microbes would grow without salt or something.

Im guessing the oil seals it, prolly a little salt wouldnt hurt either...

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
True story, my buddys grandfather found some pemmican stash on his land in the turtle mountain. At first thought it was a strange looking rocks until further examination. The stuff will last a long time and was the original "snack" food.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Certainly cant be worse than your last rotten meat in a jar experiment.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone try this? I've got some extra ground venison left over from burgers. Thinking I'll give it a go.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone try this? I've got some extra ground venison left over from burgers. Thinking I'll give it a go.
Take pictures of the process and product and report back, Im interested!

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Funny bird is the pelican it’s bill holds more than it’s pemmican. Or is it bellican?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds good, but what's the preservative?

You rub it down with softener salt and seal with backyard bees-wax. To the fire you add Mexican Vanilla flower petals for flavor.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I dug this thread up from the archives as I made some of this the other day. Not Bad. Wouldn't want to have to live off this, but it's not bad. VERY rich due to the beef fat. I didn't add any fruit or other stuff as some other recipes call for. Just meat and fat. I could see where this would be good for an overnight type mountain hunt or something where you could be away from camp for a day or two, but I don't know if I would want to depend on this as the main course for meals on an extended basis. Pemmican was designed to keep you alive and I now know what that means. It may keep you alive, but you won't enjoy meal times very much and I figure the after meal sits over a log won't be a exceptionally pleasant experience either.

Deep Forks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I started making some a couple years back after reading this thread and now it’s a staple in my backpack for badlands and western style hunts. I put dried blueberries and cranberries in mine to add some sugar and taste. It’s filling, rich and stays with you. In one small ziplock bag I cover protein, healthy fat and carbs in a snack that never goes bad... but ya, I wouldn’t invite my friends over for a Sunday funday and put it out as an appetizer and brag about its taste.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've eaten a ton of pemmican over the years, just not recently.

While it tends to be a little plain on taste, one can jazz it up with cayenne, etc.

This article though had me going WTF?

"Though most classic pemmican recipes require the use of meat and fat, it is also possible to make it vegetarian as described below."

This shit isn't supposed to be vegetarian.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I started making some a couple years back after reading this thread and now it’s a staple in my backpack for badlands and western style hunts. I put dried blueberries and cranberries in mine to add some sugar and taste. It’s filling, rich and stays with you. In one small ziplock bag I cover protein, healthy fat and carbs in a snack that never goes bad... but ya, I wouldn’t invite my friends over for a Sunday funday and put it out as an appetizer and brag about its taste.

It for sure needs some "jazzing" up, no doubt about it. After doing some research on recipes, I decided I could add the fruit and other stuff when I break out the main block. Seems the fruit and other additives shorten the shelf life of the pemmican significantly. I did see honey in one recipe that caught my attention. A small dab of honey on each bite of pemmican might make it slide down a bit easier. Might have to try that one.

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
I remember hearing about this but wasn't sure if it was true or not!!!

True story, my buddys grandfather found some pemmican stash on his land in the turtle mountain. At first thought it was a strange looking rocks until further examination. The stuff will last a long time and was the original "snack" food.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74