remember when...

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
When Lincoln Logs and an erector set were the bomb of the neighborhood. How simple life back then was for us growing up!

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Member when people smoked in the bar. In college during the winter I had a "bar jacket". It got washed every couple of weeks from the funk. Back then you'd walk into the Turf and you couldn't see past the bar. Also at that time Labbys/Reebs used smoking and then free market to their advantage and we're smoke free. We'd go there every now and then just to get a break from the smoke. Novel idea, right?

Correct, everyone would do better if we all could decide for ourselves and in a taxable sales state like ND...$$$$$$ Anyway I remember all of that at the turf funny when I see pics, always a pack of lights on the table. Just coughed thinking about it.

- - - Updated - - -

When food used to spoil after being left out overnight on the counter. Still creeps me out a bit when my kids leave a cup of milk on the counter and there is no noticeable difference in the morning.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
When we ate raw hamburger, called tiger meat with a slice of onion on a cracker

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
the voodoo floating pancake of mold people grew on top of room temp tap water in the 90's... then drank the water under it... :bigpuke:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
When firecrackers had a bang and a bite . I found a short fused black cat in the yard in my preschool days and followed the hired man around till he threw a hand rolled cigarette on the ground that he had smoked so short that it burned my fingers but after a couple puffs I brought it back to life and about half a jiffy after I touched the fuse the black cat went off in my fingers. Damn near killed me . Haha . #growingpains

Last edited:

★★★★★ Legendary Member
the marlboro man and the crying indian chief...

The first time I saw the Indian crying over pollution I laughed so hard I had tears running down my face.

How about the hot redhead in the Camel ad asking "would he walk a mile for me"?

1973-Camel-Cigarette-ad-Red-Head-Girl.jpg

ckchF.jpg

The Marlboro Man

24BA454400000578-2910742-image-a-156_1421343815185.jpg

Marlboro2.jpg

93e98c8bb032d307dc39b844d63f0692.jpg

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Who ever it was that said one post makes me think of another was spot on. I remember The lion and the lady on the Camel cigarette pack but forget what it was about the dime and Like Paul Harvey would say..........

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are few yards in Moorhead ( the older parts) that I have not been in while a young kid. Shot the shit out of any wild critter with the trusty wristrocket. Purple Martin houses were a prized find.
Rabbits, squirrels,puddytats, and all birds were fair game.
Lord have mercy.

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Chicken plucking festival every fall at my uncle's farm.
We did over a hundred by hand every fall in 2 days.
One of my sisters would be the festival queen.

Taking the bb guns and going down to the creek to see how many frogs we could get.

Playing war up in the hay mow with my cousins.

Going squirrel hunting with my Dad when I was around 6 or so. My Mom would make a thermos of hot chocolate and some fresh brownies. After we got out of the car and walked for a bit, my Dad would place the bag/thermos by the base of a tree and then we would go hunting. What seemed like after walking miles we would walk up to this tree in the middle of no where and there lo and behold was our bag of treats. It always amazed me how my Dad could find that tree. Heck there were millions of trees in the woods we hunted.

Playing with the neighbor boys and silver salute. Having one go off in my hand. No damage other my ears rang for several days and I am very hard of hearing in my left ear today.

We also used to take silver salutes and slip an unburned cigarette over the fuse. Then light the cigarette and you would have a delayed fuse. Great fun say at the yearly carnival. Having it go off when the city's deputy was standing right by it and wondering who "threw" the fire "cracker".

Snagging carp off of the railroad trestle bridge. Figuring out where they were with respect to the line and your large treble hook.

Going to the nearby town when we were 16 to buy beer (drinking age was 21 at that time). Would go to several different taverns to buy a case of beer. It would help to look older at the time. Kids from that town would come to our town to buy their beer. The locals wouldn't know who you were. Then sometimes being asked who you were and having to lie about someone else's kid for fear your Dad may find out.

Crawling up on top of the school and throwing some eggs or two at Halloween.

I was a rascal growing up. : ) I have a lot of other stories but the statue of limitations hasn't run out. : )

Last edited:

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
When firecrackers had a bang and a bite . I found a short fused black cat in the yard in my preschool days and followed the hired man around till he threw a hand rolled cigarette on the ground that he had smoked so short that it burned my fingers but after a couple puffs I brought it back to life and about half a jiffy after I touched the fuse the black cat went off in my fingers. Damn near killed me . Haha . #growingpains
Man i can remember that too. Hurt like a son of a gun and then the fingers felt numb and took quite awhile to get ones feelings back.

- - - Updated - - -

ya ever recall cupping your hand under your armpit to "break wind".
Yep remember doing that.
Also remember learning how to whistle using your hands and could whistle like in the song " The Good, the bad, and the ugly ".

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Snagging carp off of the railroad trestle bridge. Figuring out where they were with respect to the line and your large treble hook.
lol ya and when spring came and about six inches of water was on top of the ice. Bullheads would come out of the spring about 50 yards up river of the railroad trestle. They looked black on top of the ice. About ten kids would be there with everything from shotguns, 22lr, 30-06 and blowing the heck of bullheads. As dumb as we were we were smart enough to shoot nearly straight down so there were no ricochets. Although the 06 left craters in the ice and what looked like a dozen snow cones floating down river.

snowkiller

Founding Member
Founding Member
nobody was a goose hunter,now you got to get up at 3 just to get into the field before 4 other trucks show up

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You guys are old....;)

And I have often thought, gees you guys are all youngens . . ..

"always" saw myself as 35 years old -- until I finally realized I was the oldest guy in the meeting or gathering. Ha!

Who is that grey haired codger in the corner? Well, that be me young man.

Growing up, I always used to see my uncles as a bunch of old crumdgeons. Now that is me. : )

- - - Updated - - -

nobody was a goose hunter,now you got to get up at 3 just to get into the field before 4 other trucks show up

yep, was great until Gazetter first came out

and then with internet/social media -- it has escalated

Ah the good old days.
See you youngens don't know how great it was. HA HA

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105