remember when...

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
you would spend 1/2 a day cleaning your room to lick the beaters from moms mashed potatoes b4 your brother???

keep it going - hoping for interesting thread...

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The smell of fresh baked bread when you got home after school.

Mgx2400

Honored Member
remember-the-time-bobby-boucher-showed-up-at-halftime-and-29835447.jpg

roosterfish

★★★ Legendary Member
cartoons were the only thing on t.v. until noon on saturday. There was more bikes in the school bike rack then parents waiting to pick up kids in the parking lot. moms homemade hot cocoa in ice cream pails.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
You made your own popsicles with an ice cube tray, kool aid, cellophane, and tooth picks.

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Snakeskin cowboy boots, bell bottom jeans, and cb radios

telephone operators, rotary dial telephones and party lines.

car/truck starters on the floor and even in the clutch.

push button transmissions. (Plymouth)

Double dating.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mom told us to go out and stay out till dinner. We managed to live without a phone in our hand.

Magpie

Founding Member
Founding Member
There were only 3 channels on the tv. Captain Kangaroo was the only kids show in the morning,then it was game shows and soap operas. So you got on your bike and you didn't come home til the whistle blew. Noon, 6 o'clock, and 9. You took a bath on Saturday night. Whether you needed it or not.;)

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nobody was ever in a hurry . The old timers would sit around and talk about how good like was and how bad it was in the 30s

Most of the roads were gravel , Pop bottles had a deposit and they were like cash. it was good business for a kid but everybody was doing it so it was slim pickings. . Muskrats were anywhere from $ 1.50 up to $ 7.00 one year, mink $ 15- 45.00 Tire patches on my 5 buckle overshoes and bread sacks to keep my feet dry , Boy they were cold.

We went to town every Saturday morning to sell cream and buy groceries and we took one yearly trip to Deloraine Manitoba in the fall to buy Sugar, Flour and other baking supplies in bulk.

Party line telephone so you would have to wait for the neighbors to finish talking before you could use it The old timers would "rubberneck" and listen to neighbors talking. WHite gas and kerosene lanterns for outside and no mercury lights the earth was was pitch black out in the country.

If you ever heard a car horn honk you took it seriously it was someone trying to get your attention and not locking or unlocking their car doors.

Popular science magazine was about the only view we had of technology .

- - - Updated - - -

Also there were tough days in the 40s during the war when there were ration stamps. there would be 3 or 4 wore out tires strapped to a car or in the trunk for spares because you couldn't buy new ones. Lots of the old Tractors were hauled in and melted down .

Magpie

Founding Member
Founding Member
5 buckle overshoes were your winter warm boots. Tire chains on cars and 2 wheel drive pickups. Steel scoop shovels for when the snow got hard.

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
green stamps

candy cigarettes

roller skates

we could turn in coupons from readers digest for cash at the grocery store.

8 track tapes/stereo

Reel to Reel tapes

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haha Green stamps those were important , My old man was like a little kid when we got home from town , pasting them in his booklet . still have some and a booklet of war ration stamps.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Steel wheels on your skates and a skate key to tighten them up on your shoes

Slingshots and ball bearings for ammo

Carrying your 22 on the handlebars of your bike through town on the way to go shooting

What are now almost priceless bubblegum baseball cards in your spokes

Killing rats at the dump with 22's

Drinking out of anyones hose when you're thirsty or out of the sprinklers at school during football practice

$50 and $100 cars on street corners

5 cent Cokes

Fizzies

Magpie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Neighbors used to come at night to visit. Smoke cigarettes in your house.(My parents didn't smoke, didn't think anything of it,would put out an ashtray for them) And stay all night.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cutting enough firewood to heat a big two story uninsulated house and jumping into an ice cold bed with about 6 heavy old blankets. Once you got a spot warmed up you didn't move.

- - - Updated - - -

everyone rolled their own. My dad could have impressed the modern day hippies , I remember riding with him feeding cattle with the old M when I was about 4 before I was going to school and him pulling a pouch of Dukes tobacco and his papers out and rolled up a fatty with one hand when he was driving . The reason I remember it so well is that I was sitting in his lap looking up at him and I got tobacco in my eye .

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74