How to keep little kids occupied?

Mgx2400

Honored Member
Was wanting to take my 3 year old out ice fishing this winter. I am seeking pointers how to keep my son occupied while we ice fish in the future. Any help is appreciated.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Target fish where there is a lot of action. Lunch, comfortable. No 10 inch holes as invariably a boot will end up stepping in the hole and you will have a boot full of water. Underwater cameras are great for you to see what is under you and a great entertainer for kids when the water is clear enough to see for a distance. As mentioned earlier, let them decide when the have had enough and don't plan a full day of fishing.

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member
3-4 hour trips, lots of snacks and I recommend fishing with tip ups to keep them interested. Did I mention snacks? Take what you think you need and double it, maybe even triple it. Bring 2 or 3 sets of clothes and boots with to keep then dry too.

I could not get my boy to si in a shack for more than an hour until he was about six. I bought lots of cheap plastic dippers and went tip up fishing. I let him dip the holes (and drop the dippers), chase the flags and play with the fish on the ice. We also took some trucks and pay loader toys to play in the snow. Again LOTS OF SNACKS! When he was four he was actively fishing with me but would still play and eat between flags. Now he is 8 going on 9 and we can fish for just about anything and he wants to go.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
We always bring a sled with. If they get bored of fishing, they always have fun on a sled.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
My son came with me for the first time when he was 2. Sat a lot long that I anticipated, but still, it was a short trip.

Patience is the biggest thing. Every single bob of a bobber means he sets the hooks and reals it up. We go through about 4 more scoops of minnows than needed because he's constantly taking them out of the water and putting them back (or not and then they wind up lost in the shack, only to be found at season's end as mummified minnows).

Last year I sprung for an underwater camera. That was pretty fun and added another edge of excitement. But he's still not there to sit and just watch a bobber.

I started bringing a heavy wool blanket and his tablet. I'm not one to use electronics as a crutch, but if it means actually making a trip out of an ice fishing day, I'll let him watch for a while. The rule is the tablet does NOT go past the bench. So he lays down in the back of the sled wrapped in his blanket, watching a movie while I fish. Eventually if the bite picks up he'll put it down and reel in a few. But I found this to be the best way to lengthen a day. If it's nice out I let him run around on the ice and explore. But for some reason the past few times we went out were pretty darn cold and he didn't last long. The worst thing that can happen ice fishing with a kid is them either getting wet or cold or both.

dsharp83

Founding Member
Founding Member
snacks, snacks and more snacks..and then give em your snacks
plus seems like every time the snacks come out,, fish bite

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ditto on the underwater camera. My son will sit for a long time and watch fish on the camera and try to catch them. Tip ups will hold their attention too. I burnt him out on fishing in the boat but he loves ice fishing.

NG3067

★★ Legendary Member
If you can swing it, get a wheelhouse so you can keep them warm and occupied while you possibly get to fish a little. Best investment ever.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76