How do you ice fish?

Which way do you ice fish most of the time?

• Flip Over

Votes: 77 46.1%
  • Hub

Votes: 40 24.0%
  • Permanent

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • No Shelter

Votes: 23 13.8%

• Total voters

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
More curious than anything. Which way(s) do you ice fish?

I know many guys fish multiple ways, but which is your most used?

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wind and species being chased dictate my methods. Nice days with sun and light wind after perch, no shelter. Wind up to 20 mph and chasing perch, a flip over. Wind over 20 and crappy weather or when I'm after snot rockets means I'm in my permanent.

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Usually dead stick with a small jig and a live minnow a couple of feet off the bottom. Jiggin raps on occasion.

Use a 4 x 6 portable with tubular frame, canvas cover, and plastic floor. Frabil I think! Its a pain in the rear to sit up so sit on a bucket outside if the weather cooperates.

Last edited:

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I'm mostly in the Otter flip-over, or dragging it along for something to sit on and carry all the toys.

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Usually by myself (but not always) so I bought the smallest 2-man insulated flip over I could find, the Clam Nanook. With space limited, I had to get creative with hauling things. (Those crummy plastic gun cases that come with ARs make for great rod cases with a little foam modification and they fit under the seats.) Anyway, taking my five year old out on Friday to look for walleyes. Weather looks great.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Depends on whether or not I'm there to drink and fish, or just fish. If it's a day trip with little to no drinking then it's no shelter or a flip-over (dictated by weather), if it's more of a fun trip with friends the permanent is usually involved.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most times I always have my flip at least with for transport or a seat to tote gear around.

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
For the most part, in my slippers. RV Ice castle with honda generator. Aqua view hooked to one TV, Mobile hotspot bringing netflix to other tv. Vexilar for jigging sticks, rattle wheels on the wall. chili or stew or the like on the stove. If I feel adventurous, I might put out a tip up or two loaded with smelt. Cold sucks.

BrewCrew

★★★★ Legendary Member
Not always but generally there is a hole in the ice involved somewhere along the line......

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member
I prefer to just be outside but wind can say otherwise. If I go inside then its in a portable (either flip over or pop up) One thing I have never liked is door fishing from the truck.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Ranger pulling 2 sleds, one frabile flip, and a sled full of gear and an Eskimo hub. The box of the ranger packed full of gear too. I have never used it all. But always feel better having a variety of shit to choose from

Bohica

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sitting in the drivers seat of my truck.
Not sure how to vote on this one

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Flip over Shappell with all gear in tow. Days with light wind/air temp above 10 don't set up the house. If windy or long day will set up the flip over with a hole or two in the house so I can warm up with the Buddy heater. Unless I'm with my wheeler owning buddy, I don't move much. Walk/drag out flip over or drive out once safe for the truck.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Mostly flip over for me. Warmer weather, just out on the ice hole hopping. I'll use the skid house if I can go for a whole weekend. Only time I use pop ups now is for spearing.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
Usually from seat of pickup. Electric auger in back seat. Drill a hole and vex on dash.

Drill baby drill!!

- - - Updated - - -

When I’m done I reel up and shut door and drive away

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm usually too tired to fish by the time I have all the bungee straps removed.

So I just re-bungee everything and head for home - glad to have experienced the great outdoors but if only for a few glorious moments.

It's really not about the catching - right?

revolutionz

★★★ Legendary Member
I chose Flip Over, as that is primarily what I fish out of. However, I also have a hub house, and access to a permanent. It just depends on the weather and how I'm wanting to fish, along with who I'm fishing with.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm usually too tired to fish by the time I have all the bungee straps removed.

So I just re-bungee everything and head for home - glad to have experienced the great outdoors but if only for a few glorious moments.

It's really not about the catching - right?

I thought you just attached the powerhead to the flighting and looked at it with satisfaction...after that removed said flighting and repacked the powerhead. Swish hands together and go home:)

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74