Going elk hunting after all

pointer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good luck bud, and hopefully you will pre load enough of the coffee pics to last until you get that nice bull, then pics of that too

racksntails

That’s awesome. Congratulations. I’m already ready for a good story and good pictures. Can’t wait for them both.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
That’s awesome. Congratulations. I’m already ready for a good story and good pictures. Can’t wait for them both.

Here's a start to the story, the surgeon called I have to go down Wed or Thurs to get a pin taken out of my foot. Then I should be good to go Fri morning at 0300. :;:smokin

Last edited:

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Here's a start to the story, the surgeon called I have to go down Wed or Thurs to get a pin taken out of my foot. Then I should be good to go Fri morning at 0300. :;:smokin
That's awful early for an old timer.::: Get a big one.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Got the loose pin and some bone taken out of my foot yesterday.

We're looking at snow, Fri, Sat, Sun and then again on Wed, Thurs. I tried all my waterproof and insulated boots on today and the only ones I could get on were my old Sorrels. Oh well, having a warm dry foot is a good thing, it's not like I'n hiking on it anyways.

The van is packed and ready to go, thermos is full of hot water and the coffee is ready to go. :;:smokin

BrewCrew

★★★★ Legendary Member
Good Luck and Safe Travels - have an awesome hunt 24 - looking forward to the pics and the stories.......

Frosty....

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good luck 24!! Wish I was down there already, I would love to tag along and take pics for you!!

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Good Luck and Safe Travels - have an awesome hunt 24 - looking forward to the pics and the stories.......

Thanks!

Good luck 24!! Wish I was down there already, I would love to tag along and take pics for you!!

I wish you were down here too, it would be good having another strong back and weak mind along to help out.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good for you 2400, you lucky old bast........... I mean guy ;:;rofl!!!!:;:thumbsup Hope you choot a big one.

Last edited:

★★★★★ Legendary Member
OK Boys, I had a great time!

I did not get an elk but had a great time just being out and seeing a ton of new country.

On Fri morning it was a whiteout until 0830 or so, then just fog, heavy wet snow and mud. The snow was between 4-9" and the mud in places had no bottom to it. It was like walking on grease that was 3-5" deep with snow and ice on top. It was a little rough getting around on it but I got through it.

We saw a ton of tracks and in places so many tracks it looked like a freeway. We saw bighorn sheep, mule and white tail deer, javalina, coyotes, 1 bobcat and a ton of cow elk. We saw 2 spike elk on the second day but they were well over 1000 yards away s we just sat and glassed them and the country side.

We were out from Fri at 0430 until Mon then again a while yesterday and I'm whipped.

Cliff notes, no elk this year but had a great time, saw a lot of animals, snow and mud.

Loved it!

Opening morning about 1100 or so, small window between storms

elk hunt heavy wet snow-01 2018.jpg

Second morning after a 2 mile hike through the snow to check this tank

2nd morning heavy wet watering hole snow elk hunt-02.jpg

One of the many elk highways, the pic does not do it justice

Elk track highway-01 2018.jpg

Srputz

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some of my most memorable hunts were when I came home empty handed. Glad you had fun.

racksntails

Congratulations looks like you made some good memories. I’d say it sounds like you had a good time but with the snow and mud maybe not. Sometimes all the extra work and suck makes more memories and better story’s and the whiskey taste better.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds like you saw some good country and quite a bit of wildlife.
That's certainly why they call it hunting and not killing. Glad you got to have the experience! :;:thumbsup

Ragnar

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey 2400 I was down there around Mormon Lake hunting with my Dad. Same kind of experience you had, snow kind of screwed us over for the weekend. Got in on some Elk on Sunday and my son had a shot at a nice bull thru the woods, but he was moving and my son hit a tree. Hope to have better luck next year.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74