Badlands mule deer

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I also think that tv and social media have taken a toll on expectations. I have been watching a series on YouTube call land of the free by both and raised outdoors and destination elk by elk 101. They are elk hunting not mule deer but they shoot mature bulls. My only other reference for elk has been tv. I use to think a mature bull should be 350 inches. But watching these series I'm thinking maybe if you hit 300 your doing good. Is a 180 class mule deer in the badlands a realistic norm?

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
Whatever man, heard you the first time. How long have you hunted out there and what experiences do you have to base that statement on? Sounds like you disagree that there is a decline in quality mature buck in the badlands. Enlighten me

22% of all the mule deer (typical and non-typical) entered into the North Dakota big game records book have been shot in the last ten years. Trending up

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Been hunting deer for 54 years in ND. Season has consistently been the same time since I started hunting and before. Has always been during the rut so those of you who think all the bigger bucks get shot during that time need to explain what has changed during the time when deer seasons were first established.

What has changed is the way people hunt. When I started the goal was to fill your tag. Lots of party hunting and you were successful if everyone filled their tag the first weekend. Not so much anymore. Hunted the west last weekend and it seemed with the number of hunters still out (me included) nobody had shot anything at all. When I started it was a good day if you saw a buck. Maybe it isn't the quality of the deer that has changed as much as the expectations of the hunter.

Last spring there were forum questions wondering when the draw was going to be held as vacations plans needed to be made. Back in the day nobody used vacation time to hunt, that's what weekends were for. Not saying anything is wrong today, just our perception has changed as well as how we hunt compared to years ago. I've lived through the change and don't suggest we go back to the old days, just keep in mind while hunting that no one is guaranteed a trophy every year. 54 years and I've shot 3 deer I consider worthy of taking to a taxidermist. And again, worthy is in the eyes of the beholder. Enjoy the hunt more than the size of the headgear.

Riggen&Jiggen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mule dear are definitely expanding there range in ND. Not uncommon to see them around Minot. Talked to a guy I work with that seen a few by Rugby last year when deer hunting. 10 years ago it was very rare to see mule deer around Minot. My theory is that mule deer can make it through tough winters better than white tail. I also believe momma mule dear do a better job protecting their fawns from coyotes. Back when the white tail population plummeted the muleys started to fill the gap.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I started deer hunting in 1980. Back then if I shot a 120" 5x5 WT, it was the biggest in the family group of 10 hunters that brought me hunting with them.

Hell, just getting a tag was cause for joy.

B&C books don't tell the whole story, I know of quite a few deer that I'm reasonably convinced would make B&C but were never officially measured for entry into the books because they were shot by some farmer who didn't/doesn't give a damn about B&C. I'm not even sure I would fill out the paperwork if I were to ever shoot something big enough to make the books. It just doesn't mean that much to me and I'm a pretty avid deer hunter.

Outside of when ND was managed by the Indians, I'd say we are still in some of the best years of deer hunting when it comes to both quantity and quality if you go all the way back to the early 1900s. Deer hunting stats from NDGF would clearly support this on the numbers, the quality thing can be hemmed and hawed about all day long, but I have much bigger expectations for what is possible for each hunting season than I did 20 years ago.

I'd say there are many different problems that afflict the MD population in ND. Much heavier traffic has to be taking a toll on them since the oil fields are in some of the MD populations prime habitat, that's just a numbers thing when it comes to deer-vehicle introductions. Add to that the number of outdoorsy folks we've imported from other parts of the country and we've seen higher pressure on the animals (legal and illegal) when it comes to hunting. Sure, technology has it's hand in there as well. I started with a recurve where I rarely let an arrow fly at anything greater than 35 yds, now we're seeing people flinging arrows at 60, 70, 80 yds! Same with rifles and scopes and rangefinders and gps and ????.

I think the bigger question is why do we have to always find a reason to bitch about something rather than just enjoying what we have? Is this a millennial thing where nothing is ever good enough?

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I shot a nice big buck in the badlands. I just went hunting instead of worrying about all this Shiite.

- - - Updated - - -

Whatever man, heard you the first time. How long have you hunted out there and what experiences do you have to base that statement on? Sounds like you disagree that there is a decline in quality mature buck in the badlands. Enlighten me

Butthurt butter Helps. I’ve had to use is many times after not getting a big deer.

bigsky2

Currently helping a buddy hunt in 4E, rut is just getting cranking from what I've seen. But ya, quality is down... technology technology technology... Its not going away and i use it myself but think of all the 150-160" bucks that are getting shot at 400+ yards that back in previous years woulda made it to the next year. You no longer need to be in shape to hunt 'certain' areas of the west. Your bullet can do the walking for you. Like I said, I get it, and use it myself but be prepared for lower quality deer in the future for this reason.

Couldn't agree more with this. I don't know how many stories I've heard this year of people handing off their long range gun to a friend who has never even shot it, and the friend shoots a buck or bull at 500+ yards after dialing in the yardage. As much as I hate it, I still feel the temptation to get a long range setup. I know the devastation it is having on mature animals though so I won't bring myself to do it. When the animals senses are taken out of the equation its no longer hunting to me.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guns haven’t changed a bit they have always shot this far. Range finders have been out for a long time too. It’s just now tv shows promote long range shooting. For those who think it’s easy to get a Muley with new bows please prove it. The deer are there and they are buried in deep cover so they don’t get shot.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Couldn't agree more with this. I don't know how many stories I've heard this year of people handing off their long range gun to a friend who has never even shot it, and the friend shoots a buck or bull at 500+ yards after dialing in the yardage. As much as I hate it, I still feel the temptation to get a long range setup. I know the devastation it is having on mature animals though so I won't bring myself to do it. When the animals senses are taken out of the equation its no longer hunting to me.

If your not using a self bow with tone tips and wearing a loin cloth it is no longer hunting to me and my superior moral standards.......

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are things they could do to manage the mule deer herd for bigger deer, but people already bitch enough about not getting a tag. Also, G&F has never managed anything in our state for trophies, they manage for opportunity.

It would maybe be pretty cool if they did highly restrict one unit to see what it could produce, but that tag would basically become as rare as the big 3 tags, and all the other units would probably be impacted negatively because of even more pressure.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
The biggest issue for the Muleys are all the trails. If those were not drove there would be lots of big deer.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guns haven’t changed a bit they have always shot this far. Range finders have been out for a long time too. It’s just now tv shows promote long range shooting. For those who think it’s easy to get a Muley with new bows please prove it. The deer are there and they are buried in deep cover so they don’t get shot.

It appears 1046 hunters had success in 2017

Archery Statistics
  • 28,481 - Archery licenses issued (26,114 resident, 2,367 nonresident)
  • 23,003 - Number of bow hunter license holders that hunted
  • 8,900 - Number of deer taken by bow hunters (7,854 whitetails, 1,046 mule deer)
  • 39% - Bow license holder success rate

- - - Updated - - -

I hear if you buy these three arrows for $1,899.99 that you can shoot as big a muley as you want! Its that easy!

http://bishoparchery.com/3-cryo-dg-flf-full-length-fused-foc-king-arrow-shafts/

Holy Foc King shit 5575 that's a little pricey for my blood

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
Butthurt butter Helps. I’ve had to use is many times after not getting a big deer.

Cool you get that on Amazon, or?

I just had a WT rifle doe tag this year so maybe itll help with that too..archery season is still ongoing

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
$1900?????

I can't imagine sitting at some fancy hunting lodge having dinner/drinks - forced to listen to some oil tycoon, auto dealership owner, or trust fund yahoo telling me about the price of his arrows, broadheads, blah, blah, blah

I don't know how the high end guides keep from committing suicide. Seriously - how could you endure that?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hear if you buy these three arrows for $1,899.99 that you can shoot as big a muley as you want! Its that easy!

For that kind of coin, those Foc King arrows best be heat seeking all while still trophy discerning!

- - - Updated - - -

$1900?????

I can't imagine sitting at some fancy hunting lodge having dinner/drinks - forced to listen to some oil tycoon, auto dealership owner, or trust fund yahoo telling me about the price of his arrows, broadheads, blah, blah, blah

I don't know how the high end guides keep from committing suicide. Seriously - how could you endure that?

I can't imagine sitting at some fancy hunting lodge, period.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
You guys are right , I’m wrong. The young people have ruined hunting with their fancy gadgets and there are no Mature deer. Might as well give up and move to Minnesota.

- - - Updated - - -

I have the 150 grain 3 blade from Bishop. They are awesome and really slice . Easy to sharpen also.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
You guys are right , I’m wrong. The young people have ruined hunting with their fancy gadgets and there are no Mature deer. Might as well give up and move to Minnesota.

"Enslow makes a good point."
MV5BZDY3MmZjN2EtNjE4OC00MGQ2LWFhZDUtYzBiOWE3ZTk2ZTk0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzU1NzE3NTg@._V1_CR0,45,480,270_AL_UX477_CR0,0,477,268_AL_.jpg

"Yep, I'll start packing."

frozen4sioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good luck in your transition. I’m sur you will find the bucks worthy of your caliber to the east.

I also enjoyed ur cross posts of this on
#iamverybaddass

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 112
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74