Fishing barometric pressure

Mgx2400

Honored Member
Studies have shown that there are certain times when fishing is better then others due to the barometric pressure. Was wondering if you guys only fish when the pressure is just right or if it doesn't make much of a difference. Heard of guys who won't even venture out if the barometer isn't right. Here's kinda a cool scale I found download-2.jpg

powerman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I go when I have time. I believe there is some relation to the barometer and fish activities, but if a guy waited for the right barometric pressure,wind speed, weather temp, moon phase, water clarity, etc I wouldn't get more than a couple days a year to fish. Now if you had some info on how to catch fish in less than ideal conditions I would like to hear about that! Good luck

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't get too concerned and am kind of like V said. But if I see an opportunity coming for a bite to be potentially just a little better I will attempt to hit it, on top of probably fishing those tough times.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fish are opportunistic feeders, they won't pass up an appetizing snack because the pressure or moon isn't perfect.

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member
The barometer is the great mystery in which I have my own theories on. During guiding season I don't get to pick when I fish but I have over time figured out a few tricks to dealing with it. In this day and age where you can't seem to find a weather pattern that will stick more than a day or two all you can do is go fishing and do your best.

Velva_zv21

★★★★★ Legendary Member
^^^^ a weather pattern that doesn't stick more than a day or 2 is still a pattern... steady pressure or dropping pressure I find the fishing better

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Klayton Folden always said on low barometer days fish shallow. On higher barometer days the fish will be deeper.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
I read a book many years ago on walleye fishing, and the author explained it like this...

When a low comes through, most eyes shut off for a period of time... the day after 20% of the eyes will bite, then 40% the next day and so on... rinse repeat...

I used to fish about 75 days per year, and when I tracked it, it seemed to b mostly true...

powerman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Klayton Folden always said on low barometer days fish shallow. On higher barometer days the fish will be deeper.

This here is a good,thing to keep in mind! With his amount amount of experience on sak it is wise to shut up and listen��

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member
I read a book many years ago on walleye fishing, and the author explained it like this...

When a low comes through, most eyes shut off for a period of time... the day after 20% of the eyes will bite, then 40% the next day and so on... rinse repeat...

I used to fish about 75 days per year, and when I tracked it, it seemed to b mostly true...

Cats do about the same thing. There is a solid "rule of 4" which is days to get back on track. I have figured out that catfish tend to feed up for a negative event (front) then get out of the current and wait for the negative to pass. When this happens you have to fish slow and in areas where they can expend the least amount of energy. As time passes like you said they will come back out.

Mgx2400

Honored Member
Well I fished this eve. When the pressure was low and the fish were not biting. Last weekend same spot was a different story. I'm gonna start paying a little more attention to the pressure I think

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
back when i fished a ton, if the barometer was under 30.00, i wouldn't even go...

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is there a website that shows the barometric pressure in a area over time? I have also heard fishing is better above 30 than below, one know it all claimed right at 30 is cat's meow. I was catching fish but they seem to have shut off, I am curious if the pressure has dropped, yesterday and today with 29 ish, but I didn't check previous days. I have also heard that stable pressure for several days is conducive for a good bite. I see the new Google phone has a barometer sensor, something tied to GPS. Maybe one of you wunderkids can write a fish tracking app combining day/time/gps/barometer/fish caught?

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
REALLY? When did you fish? Seems like we are always dropping to 29.7 and back up any more.

this was from bout 2004 thru 2014...

the weather patterns have changed a lot... it used to b common to see high steady pressure for a week at a time, then have a low come through and have a good 3-4 day soaker, then clear up again... now it seems the lows just line up and we get 1 after another all summer, and sometimes in the winter...

i ran fishing pontoons for the last few years on devils and sak... never had a problem with the wind... the last year and a half that changed, and i went to a fiberglass boat because of it... i loved the toons for fishing, but just wasn't willing to give up all the windy days that seem to b developing with the current patterns...

maybe it's just me, but it sure seems like the patterns have changed over the past few years...

- - - Updated - - -

Is there a website that shows the barometric pressure in a area over time? I have also heard fishing is better above 30 than below, one know it all claimed right at 30 is cat's meow. I was catching fish but they seem to have shut off, I am curious if the pressure has dropped, yesterday and today with 29 ish, but I didn't check previous days. I have also heard that stable pressure for several days is conducive for a good bite. I see the new Google phone has a barometer sensor, something tied to GPS. Maybe one of you wunderkids can write a fish tracking app combining day/time/gps/barometer/fish caught?

watch the wind direction - westerly winds generally mean high pressure - easterly generally low...

most weather apps will have the barometric pressure at the time, and also show which way it's headed...

wind from the west - fishing the best
wind from the east - fishing the least

a falling barometer is usually really good as well, but you have to pay attention if in a boat as things can get pretty sketch in a hurry... a buddy told me about a time he had his kids out on a really hot walleye bite on sak... he was running the boat from the bow, and there was a storm rolling in - the fishing just kept getting better and better... he went to the back to net a fish and saw his daughters ponytail standing straight up from the static electricity in the air... they got off the lake asap, and it stormed shortly after...

also, if you start getting shocked from your graphite rod, it's time to get off the water...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPRUXALIcuQ

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
It’s not easy to put together a pattern based on barometer. I do like to fish before fronts are coming in and avoid the day after.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 162
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76