Ice Auger

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
The Eskimo Pistol Bit intrigues me a little as it is supposed to be a true 8in hole. I see that it has shaver blades on it so I wonder what would happen if one was to put their quantum blades on it, if they even are interchangeable. I don't have an experience with Eskimo augers and blades really and am unsure if the shaver/chipper combo would cause much more drag or additional torque over just normal shavers.

I wondered the same thing. If the Quantum blades fit on it, I would buy it.

Browneye

Founding Member
Founding Member
So does all these people jumping on the electric bandwagon mean that I'm going to be able to buy a new gas auger for $150 in a couple years?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
they’ll still make them but for people with no access to charging

they’ll become a special purpose tool

so they’ll make less of them - so you’ll pay more

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
You guys can spend all that money on a K drill. I got an Eskimo hand auger for $50 and a Kovac adapter for $25 and hooked it up to a dewalt 20v hammer drill. Works slick and is cheap. Take along an extra battery or two for a lot of holes.

Riggen&Jiggen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does it make a difference if you use a drill/driver or hammer drill? I know they need to be brushless. Also trying to decide on spending more for the Kdrill or getting a hand drill like the strikemast or eskimo or whatever. Anyone have experience with kdrills and hand drills? Trying to figure out if spending more for the Kdrill is worth it.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had a Jiffy 30 for the past 18 years. Runs great on TrueFuel but is starting the down hill slide. Used a buddies new Strikemaster 40v this weekend and that is one nice unit. Lightweight and cuts ice like a raped ape. Batteries can be charged in a vehicle I guess. I'm going to wait and see how his does with 3 feet of ice, but right now that is my next purchase.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does it make a difference if you use a drill/driver or hammer drill? I know they need to be brushless. Also trying to decide on spending more for the Kdrill or getting a hand drill like the strikemast or eskimo or whatever. Anyone have experience with kdrills and hand drills? Trying to figure out if spending more for the Kdrill is worth it.

i test drove the k drill today for the fist time, and yup, it's a keeper... bout 8" of ice like butter, and has the chipper which we need out west... i grew up melting holes with hand drills, not even a comparison if you want to fish - it's just not efficient enough for nd ice in all but very early or late situations imo...

re the drill - doesn't have to b a hammer drill - don't use it in hammer drill mode if you do have 1...

look at their website in faq - they have a lot of good info on what will work and what won't work...

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have had a Jiffy 30 for the past 18 years. Runs great on TrueFuel but is starting the down hill slide. Used a buddies new Strikemaster 40v this weekend and that is one nice unit. Lightweight and cuts ice like a raped ape. Batteries can be charged in a vehicle I guess. I'm going to wait and see how his does with 3 feet of ice, but right now that is my next purchase.

Love my Strikemaster so far but haven't had to cut thru more than 10 inches yet...so we'll see.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
My Jiffy 30 is on its final years now too, have a generator I carry in the Ranger, so feel pretty sure a battery powered will be the next one. I just love the smell and feel of my old gas auger, if nothing else it is sentimental

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member

It doesn’t have an issue even with an extension.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
Friday I drilled 4 holes. Saturday I went to look for perch and drilled conservatively 12 holes. I didn’t charge it either night. Sunday I drilled 6 holes looking for perch and then drilled 16 holes to make a spear hole.

Granted the ice is only 12-14” and that’s not a lot of holes but battery was still full charge after being outside every night.

So that’s 38 holes and still a full charge. Fyi

strikemaster 40v

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds awesome glad your new auger works well!

bronco

I've had an 8" ion for the last two seasons. Granted I seldom drill more then 10-15 holes at a time. The thing has worked great on ice up to 30 inches. Buddy bought the same one with the 10" chipper IMO the 10 cuts faster then the 8. Had the same 10 inch Jiffy for 20+ years I don't miss the gas burner at all.

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Took the Jiffy Pro 4 (propane) out yesterday. Forgot how damned heavy that thing is. Probably buy a K drill sometime in the spring if they go on sale.

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heading to the Fargo Ice Show on Friday. Still haven't made up my mind on the Jiffy or Strikemaster electric so I'm just going with whoever has the best deal unless someone can change my mind before then.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heading to the Fargo Ice Show on Friday. Still haven't made up my mind on the Jiffy or Strikemaster electric so I'm just going with whoever has the best deal unless someone can change my mind before then.

The SM has proven itself over a full season plus some. The Jiffy looks like a nice unit as well, but it is new to the scene.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 119
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 70