Ice Auger

Brett58852

I have an Ice Gator with the 9.5” auger and the 8” K-Drill with a Milwaukee Fuel drill.
I generally use the K-Drill every time I go out since it is so light and practical for bouncing around the lake. But....if you want people to giggle, pair the Ice Gator with the K-Drill and time how long it takes to blow through 3’ of ice.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
The SM has proven itself over a full season plus some. The Jiffy looks like a nice unit as well, but it is new to the scene.

I keep hearing they’re having some battery issue that caused the batter to lock up for a while. I’ve heard it from 3 different people now. The only real reason I won’t run a jiffy is I like to use a k drill once in a while and it works on my SM lithium. With jiffy you can only run jiffy augers period. They do make two different gear ratios I was told in the electrics.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I keep hearing they’re having some battery issue that caused the batter to lock up for a while. I’ve heard it from 3 different people now. The only real reason I won’t run a jiffy is I like to use a k drill once in a while and it works on my SM lithium. With jiffy you can only run jiffy augers period. They do make two different gear ratios I was told in the electrics.

There previous 50V lithium had to be recalled. I haven't heard anything on the 40v.

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an Ice Gator with the 9.5” auger and the 8” K-Drill with a Milwaukee Fuel drill.
I generally use the K-Drill every time I go out since it is so light and practical for bouncing around the lake. But....if you want people to giggle, pair the Ice Gator with the K-Drill and time how long it takes to blow through 3’ of ice.

Ive got a friend with an Ice Gator. Its crazy how fast that thing spins.

- - - Updated - - -

The SM has proven itself over a full season plus some. The Jiffy looks like a nice unit as well, but it is new to the scene.

Good to hear. My biggest reason for including jiffy is for the chipper blades. I was concerned about burning up the SM blades in dirty ice but knowing we fish the same lakes generally if you haven't had any issues, I likely wont either.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
But your bibs won’t smell of exhaust at the end of the day with electric...

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member

I have an 8" Nils on the Ice Gator. She is quick.

Onidil

I have a 12 year old Jiffy 2hp with a Tecumseh on it, 8". It has been outstanding. Nice and light. Lighter than any electric or propane model now. Starts within 2 pulls. I've always run Stihl premium oil with premium Shell gas (no ethanol). I add Yammalube to the tank, and always make sure it gets Stabil run through it for summer. I get new fuel after 2 months. My only complaint - the gas cap is about as useful as teats on a boar-pig. It leaks unless you put a piece of plastic underneath the cap. This may be OK on the new ones.

Cheers,
https://diceus.com/10-software-deve...nies-in-europe-which-can-draw-your-attention/

Last edited:

Brasmunky

Established Member
I've used the kdrill and the pistol bit. Both are neat, both have pluses and minuses. In the end I couldn't spend that much on plastic. I bought an 8" nils convertible. All steel, has a hand crank for back up and still takes a drill. I don't even have the right drill for it yet and it still shreds thru 11" of ice faster than the kdrill and pistol bit. I also hand cranked 14 holes with it. I was pretty impressed. Granted I'm not gonna do that unless I have to beings I'm old and fat

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Heading to the Fargo Ice Show on Friday. Still haven't made up my mind on the Jiffy or Strikemaster electric so I'm just going with whoever has the best deal unless someone can change my mind before then.

The jiffy is unproven and is late to the game. with their mess ups with the propane augers I don’t trust them, plus the unit is heavy as shit

- - - Updated - - -

Ive got a friend with an Ice Gator. Its crazy how fast that thing spins.

- - - Updated - - -

Good to hear. My biggest reason for including jiffy is for the chipper blades. I was concerned about burning up the SM blades in dirty ice but knowing we fish the same lakes generally if you haven't had any issues, I likely wont either.

I have the SM lithium chipper 50v and I’m happy I went with the chipper instead of the shaver. Auger drills like a charm but I wish I could find a cheap extra battery. You would think SM will be coming out with a chipper version of their 40v but must have to tweak the gearing.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use my kdrill on my ice gator when the ice gets thick I think the kdrill has the best blades ever put on a ice auger

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
i got a strikemaster lithium 40v and have put 200+ holes in this year already and love it... cuts fast and i will say it will cut that 3-4' of ice in winnipeg, will use up a battery or 2 i am sure, but i got a 2nd battery for $50 from scheels when i got mine

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
i got a strikemaster lithium 40v and have put 200+ holes in this year already and love it... cuts fast and i will say it will cut that 3-4' of ice in winnipeg, will use up a battery or 2 i am sure, but i got a 2nd battery for $50 from scheels when i got mine

Like mine as well so far Rusty...although yesterday on Audubon I fouled the blades on the 3rd hole...had to put some weight on her to get thru the remaining holes. When I got home and pulled the blades off, it was just the outside edge that was nicked...gotta be careful where you drill!

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought the 40v strike today for $495 with a free extra battery via the Fargo ice show.:;:thumbsup

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
I picked up a 40v Strikemaster as well on Friday at the Fargo show. I only drilled a half dozen or so holes but so far so good. Thumbs Up

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wondered the same thing. If the Quantum blades fit on it, I would buy it.

I checked out the Pistol Bit and talked to a guy at the Eskimo booth about the blades, he never actually said they fit or not but claimed he wouldn't do it as it probably wouldn't perform near as good, I am guessing fewer hole per battery. I should have walked out with a Kdrill but might have accidentally purchased my first couple of custom rods instead, that is what I get for having my wife drop me off there after the NDSU game on Saturday;:;banghead .

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I love my K-drill with clam plate. Got it for a steal at $150 this summer on bisman. Battery is everything though. I have a 1.5 amp standard battery with spare on my 20v Dewalt. Right now I get 6 holes per battery in about 12" of ice. I have a feeling there will be a 5 amp battery in the house real soon.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 116
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69