Ice Auger

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the info - i took back the bit --- i will stick with the gas

So my bud that has the strikemaster electric 24 or something v is already out of date within a few years. He can probably get batteries for a few years and then nothing ---- Its all a game.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
On advice of a close friend from my Fargo days, who also happens to be an ice fishing fiend, and a Scheels 30 year employee. I will be picking up the Strikemaster V40 10 inch, with an extra battery and extension.
He has fished 2 seasons with his, and multiple late ice trips to the big windy, and claims to have zero issue, and actually has never had to use the 2nd battery.

I have one as well. She's got a big 10 inch Nils that puts the hurt on the ice.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wow Short, you drill a lot of holes. Me I find that I drill less and less. I have my Lowrance rigged to my 4Wheeler so my lake map dials me in close. I rarely move in a day. I usually go out for a few hours to hit the sundown bite. I should buy a drill auger bit and just use my cordless I have. Should work fine, since at most I'll drill 20 holes. Mostly I'll just drill 6 to 10. I have an Eskimo with 8" auger. I bought it new in 1997. I've put new blades on it a few times. It takes a few pulls but has never not started. I like reading about all the new electrics, as they are so easy to use and light, I may get one. It doesn't take much to tire me out these days.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wow Short, you drill a lot of holes. Me I find that I drill less and less. I have my Lowrance rigged to my 4Wheeler so my lake map dials me in close. I rarely move in a day. I usually go out for a few hours to hit the sundown bite. I should buy a drill auger bit and just use my cordless I have. Should work fine, since at most I'll drill 20 holes. Mostly I'll just drill 6 to 10. I have an Eskimo with 8" auger. I bought it new in 1997. I've put new blades on it a few times. It takes a few pulls but has never not started. I like reading about all the new electrics, as they are so easy to use and light, I may get one. It doesn't take much to tire me out these days.

That seemed like a damn awful lot of holes to me too.
But I dont drill more than 20-30 per outing. Unless its in the 40's, no house set up, and we are gunning all over the place, even then probably 40

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
5 in the group two houses X 4holes each = 20 ----- eyeballs in the am, perch midday, eyeballs at night, = 60 minimum.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
My 13 month old M18 drill (with very low mileage) died Monday. Dead, nothing. Sent it in yesterday....hoping to get a free replacement but I have lost some confidence in the drill approach now.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
asd.jpg

RPNLPS

★★★★★ Legendary Member
1,120” in one day on two different lakes kdrill clam plate Milwaukee drill w 9 amp battery. Switched to my 8 amp to finish out a long day of searching in a snow bear!
The best thing I like about my set up is after drilling that many holes no fatigue!
Let the bit with sharp blades do the work.
I see a lot of people bearing down on the auger there burning up drills!
My drill on mine is 5 years old now and still running like a champ. I’m guessing this set up has roughly drilled 12,000 inches

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm looking to get a new ice auger. My trusty strikemaster kicked the bucket after about 14 years of hard abuse and minimal maintenance, so i think i got my money out of it, though i should have taken care of it better. So my question is, what would you guys recomend, best bang for the buck. Brand? 4 stroke? 2 stroke? i'm hesitant on an electric one, but maybe you can change my mind.

Thanks,
Cooper

Trophy Strike has 120V thats getting good reviews, and is CHEAPER $ 300

- - - Updated - - -

1,120” in one day on two different lakes kdrill clam plate Milwaukee drill w 9 amp battery. Switched to my 8 amp to finish out a long day of searching in a snow bear!
The best thing I like about my set up is after drilling that many holes no fatigue!
Let the bit with sharp blades do the work.
I see a lot of people bearing down on the auger there burning up drills!
My drill on mine is 5 years old now and still running like a champ. I’m guessing this set up has roughly drilled 12,000 inches

One problem we have is dirty ice. OHAE is low and when the wind blows with no snow cover, we get sandy ice.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
My 13 month old M18 drill (with very low mileage) died Monday. Dead, nothing. Sent it in yesterday....hoping to get a free replacement but I have lost some confidence in the drill approach now.

very rare

probably Radon corrosion

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm thinking of getting the Trophy Strike, but have 2 concerns.

1. If blade dulls, how much pressure can I put on it? Will it eat up battery if not real sharp?

2. They list weight as around 37Lbs. Is this too heavy?

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
5 in the group two houses X 4holes each = 20 ----- eyeballs in the am, perch midday, eyeballs at night, = 60 minimum.

I rarely ever fish with that many, and if I do, I'll let someone else show off their auger. Plus 9 out 10 times I just go out for a quick sundown bite. That means 12 holes max, maybe only 4. When I hear of guys drilling that many holes, I think of guys in MT running around checking a hundred lines.

I would think a auger for a drill would be my huckleberry, but for another hondo, I could get that Trophy Strike, and wouldn't have to worry if my Menards cordless is good enough. But it seems heavy, but it's 120V!

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rowdy, I see the trophy strike listed as 23 pounds for the 8”. I don’t know anything about them though. I’d always be a little concerned buying some of these random companies electric augers. How long will they be around for when your battery goes to crap.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes another issue. Where did you find weight?

RPNLPS

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Trophy Strike has 120V thats getting good reviews, and is CHEAPER $ 300

- - - Updated - - -

One problem we have is dirty ice. OHAE is low and when the wind blows with no snow cover, we get sandy ice.
I haven’t had any trouble with the dirty ice with chipper blades! I change them about mid season every year. I send the other pair in for lifetime free sharpening and there back in a couple weeks ready for next year!

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes another issue. Where did you find weight?
Weight is listed on their website. If you only fish Oahe though and aren’t drilling tons of holes, I think the kdrill would suit you best. It’s the only electric option with the chipper blade. They are slower, they use more battery, but they are the best option for dirty ice.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm definitely keeping my old one and going to keep mixing 1 g of gas just to at least run it a bit. It worked for over 20 years!

- - - Updated - - -

I was looking at K drill, and the new Eskimo pistol bit now that it has a center tooth. But for another 100 I could get 120V TS....not sure my drill will work with K drill.

- - - Updated - - -

I was looking at K drill, and the new Eskimo pistol bit now that it has a center tooth. But for another 100 I could get 120V TS....not sure my drill will work with K drill.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 62