4 wheeler or snowmobile

drayweb

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Is the ice thick enough to try a four wheeler or snowmobile yet. Heard there's 7 inches on some lakes. Was thinking of heading over to Alkaline lake near Dawson this weekend.

Browneye

Founding Member
Founding Member
You could if You were 100% sure the ice was 7" thick all over the lake. Years ago I was fishing on a lake during early ice. I was fishing on 8"s of good ice but a warm spell had opened up open water about 150 yards from shore. It got cold again and the next weekend I read on fishing buddy a guy had fished the same spot I was on and broke through walking. Thank goodness He made it out Himself. Also on the same lake one year 13" all over and sub zero weather but in the middle of the lake swimming geese had kept a small patch of water open. I'm sure 2 weeks later it was froze over again and if You weren't familiar with the lake You could have been cruising around on 13" and be completely unaware there was a spot that probably had less than 2". Its Your life but this time of year I wouldn't be the first one driving around on the ice.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd take the time to spud my way out, walk back, get the wheeler/sled, then drive your gear out

stay on the area and path you spudded

If you need to move - spud it first - but when you wrap it up at the end of the day I'd backtrack

or spud a line directly to shore then drive along or on the very shallow shoreline (basically hug the shore)

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
It depends on the lake for me. If it is a pothole lake, and has 8" of ice, I stay careful, but generally those lakes are consistent ice. Lakes like Darling are different, as they are roosts for birds, and can have moving water.

Buffalo Lodge is another one. It is a pothole lake, but a fair sized pothole lake, and birds will roost there and keep a spot open.

Knowing the lake is a factor for me.

drayweb

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yes. I think I'll wait a couple more weeks. Maybe we'll get more colder temps.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
4-wheeler drops through ice on Big Pine Lake near Perham

atv73.jpg

had it been me the headline would have read

Angler Shits Himself on Big Pine Lake near Perham

Last edited:

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
4-wheeler drops through ice on Big Pine Lake near Perham

atv73.jpg

had it been me the headline would have read

Never ever, ever, ever take a pressure ridge lightly. I've seen way too many bad things when people do. We had a good 15-18 inches of ice one time and I went to check a ridge with the auger(for crossing with Ford Ranger pickup). First hole was 18 inches. Next step I went in over my knee and flopped back on the solid ice with a running auger in my hand. Those things are never predictable.

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
For all those planning on getting out fishing during December, I would be really careful on the ice. All indications are that we are going to see above normal temps during December. This suggests that ice will remain thinner than normal through the remainder of the year.

ice head

Founding Member
Founding Member
When you see ice like that get out and spud bar it, thankfully he didn't go all the way through!

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
Would'nt that give you a ill feeling going threw. Plus the worry about getting it out.

Sure would make me sick.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
snowmobile and no snow ?? -- imo early december is for walking -- enjoy the walk --bring the dog

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76