Amazing gun dogs

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is Sport. An English Setter Pointer. I wouldn't hunt pheasants without him.

Image-1.jpg

Sport is my third Setter and we had to travel to Rogers Minnesota to get him from Scott Berg. One smart dog.

I use a Tritronics collar. Tone, run and beep, nic and then there is the red button. I run with the collar off and when I want his attention push tone. He thinks it means come back. This dog finds birds fast.

My only regret is when he was 6 months we started him young. His first point was a big rooster. He pinned it. My buddy was filming as I was standing behind off to one side of Sport saying if this is a rooster I need to make a clean shot. I only broke a wing. With two good legs the rooster ran quite a ways with the puppy on him. The tackle was crazy fun but the doggone rooster rolled on his back into a ditch spurring the pup in the face. He chomped it. My fault.

I can't get him to quit. Goofy part is, we have a few chickens. When they get out I send/sic him, he retrieves alive. However, when the shotguns go off and roosters hit the ground, he leaves a few toothmarks.

The other day there was a rooster walking across the yard. Sport was in the garage so I stepped out and said, "Sport, what is that pheasant doing walking/running across our yard?" He looked at me like what? Then I pointed. He stood there like WTF for about 5 seconds. Then he was off.

So what breeds of dogs do you guys on NDA have? Pictures???

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Long hair is for chicks!

buttprint.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Note, his name is Reckless. Very calm GSP, he carries my chickens around when I let him.

Pheasants that have been shot...not interested. Damnit@!@
He's also a chick magnet, and that's a plus.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
20180624_210342.jpg
This is Riley. She is a great family dog, when she gets outside she never gets tired she will hunt for days. She gets a little rangy if the old farts following her can't keep up. Oh.. she has a thing for Reckless aswell!

20180327_173757.jpg
This is Rowdy the spawn of Reckless and Riley. Pic was taken while his mom was on a recent date. He's a giant. This is his second year hunting. He started a little gun shy but has gotten past that this year.

Attachments

20180505_131525.jpg
Last edited:

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
"Long hair is for chicks" good one Allen. :eek:

I do like German Shorthairs. Powerful dogs. But I like a smaller dog. Sport rides on snowmobiles, motorcycles, tractors and stows away neatly on the front passenger side floorboard. When it's cold, dogs should ride up front even if they are wet and muddy. I get in with my right leg hanging out, sport jumps in and sits quietly on floor mat. Bring right leg in and close the door. My friends appreciate that in their new truck.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
FYEJ2321.jpg

Yes, being the owner of a fur-ball sucks! heck, his hair isn't even long. I cann't imagine you guys with golden retrievers and setters!

- - - Updated - - -

FYI, I'm all ears when it comes to breaking a hard mouth. Ace, pictured above, is terrible for chomping birds before he brings them back. On the flip side, I know Brittney's aren't natural retrievers and he does a good job but everyone knows which birds are mine when we're cleaning birds at the end of the day, lol!

onpoint!

Established Member
Gunner on the left (brit-5), Nikita on the right (gwp-10); on a point in tall grass. He is a strong hunter with awesome nose, she is good but a retrieving machine; a good twosome.
044.jpg

Coyote Hunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Benelli 2018.jpg

This is Benelli, she is my 15 month old purebred GSP. This is her first year of hunting, and she is doing very well. She points a lot of birds and has a great nose. Best of all, she actually retrieves birds... which my other shorthairs did not do very well.

Benelli (Retrieving) 1.jpg

She is a very small GSP, weighing in at 38 lbs.

Last edited:

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is Penny. Third season now and has turned into a star retriever!
0930180927a.jpg
This is Hutch...an old Pro. Best lab I've ever had.
1409408084447.jpg

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll be lucky if I ever have one this good again, he hunted hard up through his 13th fall:
[FONT=&quot]

Doggie 2 is 13 now and still pretty darned good:
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
063EA55A-901A-4391-8812-BD6C0823A972.jpg

My happy-go-lucky chocolate lab. Pretty good dog over decoys, doves included. Not so great chasing roosters. Which is fine. Pheasants aren’t my favorite anyway. Poor guy pulled him hamstring duck opener this year and I shut him down for the year. If I can find one more field this year I’ll have to get him out.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
cedar is 10 now but aint slowing down.
cedar.jpg
cedar2.jpg

Winston my first dog ever and dont know if i will have one like him again. 2 years ago on christmas eve had to put him down.

winston2.jpg

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have to tell a story about my lab. She turned one in Sept. Nov. 1st I was unloading big round bales and one fell off the upper level and onto the trailer. Unfortunately my lab had jumped onto the trailer. The bale landed on her flat side down. I actually had to move the tractor over and pick it up off her. Figured she had to be dead as a hell. She gets up and jumps off the trailer and heads for the garage limping to beat hell. Anyway, long story short all she did was split the end of her humerus. Vet said simple surgery just put a screw in it. So we did and She was basically kenneled for a couple weeks. Then I started walking her a little and it was only four weeks and she was actually feeling like new. Yesterday, eight weeks after the surgery I took her out. Only the second day of hunting for her in her life. She was pretty impressive. Has a hell of a nose. Tried to take a rooster off his nest but couldn't quite get her mouth on him so he finally flushed. Found another bird that was 10' from me where I had stood for about ten minutes. Then while walking a tree row she actually got on a scent and located a hen in some deep grass under a fallen branch. I looked over and sure as shit she was on full point. Front leg up and tail straight out lol. For about twenty seconds she stayed like that then lunged into the grass and kicked it up. I had a half sister to this dog that was the best dog I'd ever hunted behind. They claimed the mother was a pointing lab. The other dog I had would find birds and lock up on em but never actually go into what you would call a full point like a pointing dog. But damned if this one doesn't. It was pretty cool to see. And just has an amazing nose on her.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75