Underwater camera

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Put your phone in a ziplock bag while recording video, hook bag to your jig and toss it down the hole, move it around a bit and reel it up and watch the video, tada! Saved you $600...

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
My kids want graphs - and they want the camera--- shortest straw in the fish house draws the vex.

Last year i had a buddy along with a 26 -- he shut it off and threw it in the corner that along with and took over my daughters cam and took one of my basic spring bobbers and stuck it on his custom rod.

Fishing crappies -- if you did not have a cam -- you were not catching ---- vex all you were doing is setting your hook on nothing you knew a fish was down by your jig and that was all. The lips were so precise and gentle (mid January) that you had a hell of a time -- the spring would not even move 90% of the time-- i had the lightest spring known to man. Cam showed everthing ---- if my kids are along i use the cam.

Imo -- for that kind of coin - get the helix 5 and a vs485C mARCUM --- I am probably going buy the helix ala carte and connect it to a some homemade box to stay under the $600.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077XZ8JJM/?tag=nodakangler10-20

anyone ever use or see one of these in person? seems like a good deal and good reviews
i wouldnt doubt its a decent cam --- remeber all these cams are made over their anyway

BotnoJoe

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last edited:

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077XZ8JJM/?tag=nodakangler10-20

anyone ever use or see one of these in person? seems like a good deal and good reviews

The cartoon pictures they use gave me a chuckle. Might not be a bad unit though for that price and the limited amount some might use them because of water clarity, I know most places I fish are not very camera friendly but when you can get use out of one they are so fun to use.

BotnoJoe

Founding Member
Founding Member
The cartoon pictures they use gave me a chuckle. Might not be a bad unit though for that price and the limited amount some might use them because of water clarity, I know most places I fish are not very camera friendly but when you can get use out of one they are so fun to use.

haha the pictures and grammar made me laugh a bit too. I ended up ordering the $130 7" model with higher resolution and supposedly a brighter screen. got a 3 year accidental damage protection plan for an additional $10 and a camera panner for $26 . Will try to remember to post a review after I use it a few times, in case anyone is interested.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
haha the pictures and grammar made me laugh a bit too. I ended up ordering the $130 7" model with higher resolution and supposedly a brighter screen. got a 3 year accidental damage protection plan for an additional $10 and a camera panner for $26 . Will try to remember to post a review after I use it a few times, in case anyone is interested.

I hope you rove it rong time:D

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
[FONT=&quot]【SPECIAL FISH SHAPE AND SILVER COLOR DESIGN】: This unique design will not disturb the fish, it can Lure the fish close to.

How can you miss with a feature like that?

You must post a video review. Plz plz plz.[/FONT]

- - - Updated - - -

I bought one of the cheap yellow "camera only" to replace my boat's AquaVu camera (which I watch with Lowrance graph)

It literally fell apart on the drive to the lake. I was all excited, looked into the box I had it in, and there were little yellow plastic fragments of camera housing laying all over in the box. Bizzare and unexpected cuz they should have plastic down pat by now.

Took me six back/forth emails (Ebay) to get my asian friend to refund me my money.

- - - Updated - - -

f8562ceac1908321e5a80f4040ef0a28.jpg

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just for the "brand" of things ---- every bit of advertising has been thrown at one since one takes its first breath --- brand name brand name

I see it on here so many times and i see it in my kids --- take a chance because --- lets face it marketing is marketing - R and D is where its all at.

--- I bought a mi fit (back to that story later) ------its made by xiaomi --- -- chinese company --- Xiaomi first built a smart phone in 2011, now the 4th largest smartphone manufacturer.

Fit bit vs Mi Fit --- hands down Fit bit doesnt even come close. Mi - i dont remember 6 meters or something like that -- i took it to 20meters underwater by accident. I dropped it outside -- froze in ice covered under snow (got shoveled off to the side ). I knew it was somewhere close as it stayed paired to my phone for 20 days. The battery lasts 30 days. The accuracy - is just as good. Battery is 200X what fit bit has. Fit Bit is a over marketed POS.

Moral of the story -- one never knows -- guy had problems with his china purchase --- but sometimes they are a gem.

i also bought some stock too. Low price --- once Verizon is forced to allow them in --- Game over.

- - - Updated - - -

price -- $20 vs $149 fit bit.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nothing wrong with a refurbished fl-18. I have never owned a camera as Fish get tangled in the cord.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I use the cheap Chi-Chi action cameras, and have had good luck. If you want to talk about overpriced, and over marketed, look at GoPro.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Every time someone comes fishing with a camera it’s sausage finger fiddling galore and they don’t catch em.

BotnoJoe

Founding Member
Founding Member
well now I am laughing at the comments and also a little worried after hearing about guywhofishes experience. Hoping for the best and keeping my expectations low!

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
well now I am laughing at the comments and also a little worried after hearing about guywhofishes experience. Hoping for the best and keeping my expectations low!

Just bring a supply of gorilla glue and tape and you should be fine. Whats the worse that can happen:D

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Grandson bought a Marcum a couple years ago. Agree with everyone that water clarity is essential to use the camera. It can also help catch fish as you can see what the fish are doing. Light bites that you don't feel or see are the main thing in seeing. Sometimes all you see is your lure disappear, fish doesn't move, just suck the lure in. In cloudy water they are useless as mentioned. In some lakes you can see fish 10' away, then they are great. When you can't see a fish a foot away, they are frustrating. I have had my Vexilar FL-8 for about 20 years at least. I think I'm on my 3rd battery, no other problems. I do recommend drilling a separate hole for the camera. It's also interesting when a northern swims up and tries to eat the camera. Never had one successful but a real big one could easily fit it in their mouth.

BotnoJoe

Founding Member
Founding Member
was out of town for awhile but opened up the goofy chinese camera last night and am happy with it so far. looked to have clear video and a sturdy case. Will test it out on the water this weekend

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My youngest has saved up about $600, and thinks he wants a camera, rather than a Vexlar. I have never owned one, but want him to get what he wants with his hard saved cash. We looked at Runnings tonight, after shooting a couple rare western ND roosters, and found a Vexilar brand for around $300, the marcums were double that.
For you guys that use these, what can you recommend for a kid on a budget, that will be his first major ice fishing purchase.
I have the vexilar camera and it works great. I have never had a problem and would recommend it to anyone.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cut a different hole for the camera.

Just a problem solver over here folks!

Oh you can still get some serious cluster f****s even doing it that way. Hard to tell on this pic but the fishing rod line goes down the Vex hole and comes back up the camera hole and this is basically the aftermath of what a 20 lb Pike does.

As for camera versus Vex the Vex always works the camera does not. That said the camera does work in about 90% of the situations and when the camera is on there is no question it will outperform the Vex 90% of the time. The Vex will tell your fish is down there the camera will tell you what the fish wants and whether or not it's in its mouth or not. I've had numerous days where if I had not had the camera I would not have caught hardly any fish. they can turn a bad day into a great day real quick and there is nothing more entertaining then seeing the fish on the camera. Even if you're not catching them it definitely makes things better.

Now if your running and gunning or fishing deep water they suck. A Vex can be set up in seconds a camera takes considerably more time and tuning and he'll definitely want some form of stabilizer on the surface like you see in the pic. they make a world of difference for sighting the camera in unless you get a really expensive one that self centers.

IMG_20160101_142445409.jpg

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84