Maceration for European Mounts

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I looking to try a new method for doing European mounts. Has anyone tried maceration? I know the smell is terrible, so doing it in the garage is out of the question. I'd like to do it outside, but with the colder temps it may be difficult to keep the water heated up between 80-100 degrees.

Any thoughts for doing this effectively during the winter months? I need some type of submersible heater that is capable of keeping the water at the temperatures listed during the cold winter months. Worst case scenario is that it waits until summer, but I'd really like to get them done. I have 8 or 9 deer skulls to do, so beetles and boiling are out of the question due to the cost and time commitment.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
They’d stink forever IMO

- - - Updated - - -

is this a thing? if it is, then I guess they won’t

ha ha

- - - Updated - - -

aquarium heater I suppose

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
This has potential problems written all over it but I'd use a stock tank heater and an aluminum trash can I guess if I were to try it.

- - - Updated - - -

Ooh, another idea. One of those sous vide machines.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
This has potential problems written all over it but I'd use a stock tank heater and an aluminum trash can I guess if I were to try it.

- - - Updated - - -

Ooh, another idea. One of those sous vide machines.

The only real problem would be doing it in the garage or house without the wife's consent. I know the process itself is quite simple and works very well. The only issue I can see is doing it outside during the winter months. Unfortunately, most stock tank heaters won't heat water beyond 40 degrees before shutting down until the temp drops again.

I do like the idea of the neighbors hot tub.....

- - - Updated - - -

Someone on another forum had recommended an electric roaster. I think that would certainly do the trick, and would likely maintain the heat better than anything else. Now I just have to find one at a reasonable price and make sure the wife doesn't decide to use it for Christmas dinner once I'm done....

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Googled it. Sounds really, really awful. I’ve boiled one skull and that was a terrible experience can’t imagine doing it this way. I happily pay 100 bucks to have some other poor sap do it, but I’m also a yuppy fargoan with a bad gag reflex. Keep us posted! I’m curious

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Googled it. Sounds really, really awful. I’ve boiled one skull and that was a terrible experience can’t imagine doing it this way. I happily pay 100 bucks to have some other poor sap do it, but I’m also a yuppy fargoan with a bad gag reflex. Keep us posted! I’m curious

I should have mentioned that I have 9 skulls to do, so boiling and beetles are out of the questions due to time constraints and cost.

Frosty....

Founding Member
Founding Member
I did it back in the day in my old apartment in Arvilla and it's gross...haha.

If I remember correctly, I used 2 fish tank heaters, a big-heavy duty rubbermaid, duct tape, and trash bags. I was able to seal it up good enough to where there wasn't a smell. Hindsight being what it is...I was a dumb-ass. Talk about a nasty accident waiting to happen...

Good luck on your stinky endeavor!

PS...it's fun fishing through that crap looking for any teeth that fell out.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Use a pressure washer and blast most the shit off then boil a short time and you are done. If you have 9 skulls no toaster is going to fit. A guy here doesn’t work for 40 bucks best 40 I have ever spent.

Feildhunter701

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pressure wash it at the local car wash. Boil it at a low temp for a few hours and wash it agian

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
ha ha ha

Frosty’s teeth comment was NDA gold

- - - Updated - - -

thinking about it

if you swapped water every two days the smell would be minimal

Last edited:

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
ha ha ha

Frosty’s teeth comment was NDA gold

- - - Updated - - -

thinking about it

if you swapped water every two days the smell would be minimal

My understanding is you need to keep the bacteria in the water for the maceration to take place or work. I have read you can change about half the water but lengthens the process. Doesn't the maceration process take a while too? Boiling and whiten can be done in 4-6 hours per skull.

Deerwatcher

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've skinned, boiled, pressure washed and whitened 5 skulls in one day

bowcarp

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wake up in the morning and piss excellence
Ha Ha Ha thats funny my best was 3 in a day deer are easy

- - - Updated - - -

on a side but with a serious note (for me any way) I'm doing a bear skull for a friend , I'm still oily on the back of the skull and lower jaw , would a slow simmer on the stove with a strong dawn solution help to remove the oily area ???? and I also have one more to do for his buddy would removing the brain first help with the greasy left overs ???

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wake up in the morning and piss excellence

With all due respect I had no idea you had experimental surgery to have your balls removed. Remember I said with all do respect so I can say anything I want it’s in the Geneva convention

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ha Ha Ha thats funny my best was 3 in a day deer are easy

- - - Updated - - -

on a side but with a serious note (for me any way) I'm doing a bear skull for a friend , I'm still oily on the back of the skull and lower jaw , would a slow simmer on the stove with a strong dawn solution help to remove the oily area ???? and I also have one more to do for his buddy would removing the brain first help with the greasy left overs ???

Yes, a slow simmer, not boil, will help with the oily area, however, watch to make sure you don't lose any teeth. They can get REAL loose when on a simmer. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS remove the brains. They are full off fats, lipids, and acids that you don't want infusing into your skull. It can stain them in very odd ways as well as leave unpleasant residues that will stink to high heaven when they start to rot.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75