Dry needling - Is it voodoo ?

1850reata

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had it done on my lower back. Once you add some electricity it did help. Now I just use a tenz machine at home.

BrewCrew

★★★★ Legendary Member
It is the Meow of the Cat -

It kept me off the operating table for almost two years - the results were slow at first but after about the third treatment my neck and shoulder muscles relaxed for the first time in over 20 years. The trigger points let loose and finally all the knots in my neck and shoulder disappeared. I did end up having neck surgery but that was going to happen no matter what - I think I healed faster because of the dry needling post op.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
WTF??? is dry needling ??????

essentially the same as Acupuncture. Major difference lies in who's performing each therapy. Jdinny, do you do dry needling?

I graduated chiro school thinking I would never use acupuncture so I didn't take the classes. About a month into my internship and I seen the results first hand. As of now, it's my primary therapy tool when a patient gives me the thumbs up to try. I would say it's also the #1 reason a patient is referred to me. Adding a little electricity to the needles is something I will add in but not very often. It's fairly intense, especially if it's your first time trying acupuncture.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
essentially the same as Acupuncture. Major difference lies in who's performing each therapy. Jdinny, do you do dry needling?

I graduated chiro school thinking I would never use acupuncture so I didn't take the classes. About a month into my internship and I seen the results first hand. As of now, it's my primary therapy tool when a patient gives me the thumbs up to try. I would say it's also the #1 reason a patient is referred to me. Adding a little electricity to the needles is something I will add in but not very often. It's fairly intense, especially if it's your first time trying acupuncture.

Jdinny does and like phil latio who is also a very good therapist I use it on every patient that is willing and I believe it is the one of the best treatment options we as therapist can do. I I would say the best results I get are with headaches, migraine stuff neck etc. lower back it seems it works very good, or it doesn't but without a doubt try it. it cleared my tennis elbow up in 2 treatments and I could barley grip a knife to gut my wifes deer it was affecting my grip strength 2 sessions 99% better.

ps I don't needle without electricity it is that much more effective..unless of course you have pacemaker..... haha

- - - Updated - - -

biggest difference is theory, chineses versus american theory same needles, same electricty and many of the same points are used...

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
biggest difference is theory, chineses versus american theory same needles, same electricty and many of the same points are used...

That makes sense. I probably follow more of the american theory when it comes down to it. I do use some meridian points but its as an extra to what I'm already doing.

Like you said, headaches, sciatica, muscle spasms are my common complaints. I've done a few bell's palsy treatments with surprisingly positive results. I almost never use electricity with it though. I might need to swing over and check out your stim units. The dial on mine allows me to go to ten. I've never been able to go past 1, however.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am more inclined to try voodoo ... scientifically speaking how does inserting needles into tissue alleviate or prevent pain?

Magic over science every time ;:;popcorn unless it's black magic then hell no

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
That makes sense. I probably follow more of the american theory when it comes down to it. I do use some meridian points but its as an extra to what I'm already doing.

Like you said, headaches, sciatica, muscle spasms are my common complaints. I've done a few bell's palsy treatments with surprisingly positive results. I almost never use electricity with it though. I might need to swing over and check out your stim units. The dial on mine allows me to go to ten. I've never been able to go past 1, however.

There's a Spinal Tap joke in there somewhere.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am more inclined to try voodoo ... scientifically speaking how does inserting needles into tissue alleviate or prevent pain?

That's a common question I receive with every new and sometimes seasoned acupuncture patients. The best guess is that it trips pain sensory neurons and motor neurons. No actual, definitive answer has been put forward, as far as I know. What is known, even by the medical community, is the efficacy of the treatment.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member

your gonna get a different answer from different chiropractors, PT's. and honestly not all dry needling courses are taught the same. Dirty Mike is right we are not sure 100% why it works some theaories include increasing bloos flow, causing micro traumas which send signals to the body to fluch the are with blood, hormones needed for healing. there is proof it works on neuro tissue as well like dirty mike said. I like dirty mike needed to go back and get certified after school I didn't think it would work, as I am very conservative person.

here is what I can say try it acupuncture, dry needling whatever there similar but do yourself a favor and try it.

also for the dirty mike fans there is even better results ( via research)when patients are manipulated prior to receiving dry needles.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well this sounds promising , My bride has been telling me how well it's working for her and since my neck doesn't seem to be fixing itself she made an appoint for me. My back and neck muscles are tighter than a drum and knotted up and that's probably a lot of my problems.

Ruttin

Founding Member
Founding Member
It has worked for me. Neck, back and for tennis elbow. Recommend!

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had it done for the first time at physical therapy yesterday. Back of my thigh down towards my knee. Cant say if it worked or not, more sore last night and today than before but she said that is common. Will give it a few more tries. Didn't even feel the needles going in, but the electricity definitely was working the muscles. I know right away afterwards I was slightly better. I definitely think there is something to it and probably would have worked better if I could have pinpointed the problem better.

Skoalongcut

Founding Member
Founding Member
It is the only thing that works for me for my tension headaches. She inserts them at the base of my skull. It also works great for my muscle knots in my shoulders and neck. Once inserted she hooks them up to a TENS unit. That really relaxes the muscles.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
post treatment soreness for a day is expected and actually is what i want to hear from patients. im not going to get into long boring details but post treatment soreness and " twitch response" in the muscle with electricity is associated with much beter outcomes. cvan you get relief by sticking a needle 1mm in yes you can but if you want great results expect a little post treatment soreness.

you must remember your coming into the dirty mikes and jdinnys and phil latios of the world if you walk out feeling the same as you walked in i would argue are we even doing anything to "change your pain" your coming into us to "change" your pain so some post treatment sores ( change) is expected

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will say that most of the soreness has worn off already, the pain from the injury is still there but I didn't expect this to go away immediately. From what I can gather from therapist and the chiro is its either a pulled muscle that healed wrong or a herniated/bulged disc, so I cant imagine its going to be a fast fix. The jury is still out on the dry needling for me, I was able to put my sock on alittle easier this morning so that's a good thing. I do have more faith in that then just getting drugs from a medical doctor and prefer to avoid any surgeries if I can. It took me a long while to accept the fact that going to the chiropractor regularly was a good thing even when your not in high amounts of pain. I used to only go when a rib was out or hip/sciatic issues were making me miserable. Now if I go much longer than a month my body is sore and I don't sleep near as well as I do after adjustment.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I made it through one session , Pretty interesting. Most of the visit was diagnosing and the actual needling went fast . 6 needles in my neck from the base of skull and down about 3 inches and two lower down in the neck. left side of neck and lower down were not uncomfortable at all , Only one had a sharp prick to it and made me jump a little. But the first time she poked one in the right side I almost pissed my pants. All 3 on right hurt like that and once they were in it felt just like the needle started growing to about an inch in diameter Hard to explain. I got a headache and felt dizzy when I sat up and felt like I was all doped up for a couple of hours. I was estimated at 3 sessions . I am not 100% sure if the first one did any good or not but going back for more just in case it will.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've been going for over a year and it's done lots of good for me. I get the needles in my neck, shoulders, lower back and my left lower leg with and without electricity. I also have been having phantom pain in my stump/right leg since I had them chop it off and it has cut that down by probably 20% which is a big, big help.

Have you guys that do this do cupping too? That didn't help me as much as the electricity does.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75