keeping garage floor dry

CWS

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey all, my 1 stall attached garage is insulated but not heated. My wife parks her van in it and the snow melts off and pools on the floor. Any ideas on how to keep the floor somewhat dry? Would a heat source with a ceiling fan cure it?

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heat source can help and a fan as well, won't cure all of it but most and can be a slow process at times. I have the same issue and normally just use a fan or two, the one thing I have noticed is every once in a while I need to open a window when it seems like it isn't working that good and I am sure it is just to let some of the humidity out.

- - - Updated - - -

I like that mat idea ndwalleys has

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
our old garage did not have a floor drain and I battled melting snow all the time... I found by placing a fan or too close to the ground really helped dry it out faster ... even now with a heated garage and floor drain I still run a fan on the floor...this is one similar to what I use:

fan.jpg

aron

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an insulated garage and heated with no floor drain. I run a dehumidifier which I feel does more than a fan. I will empty out close to a gallon of water a day after it snows and two vehicles in the garage. Buy a floor squeegee to push out the snow and water from time to time as well. Those floor mats look neat

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an insulated garage and heated with no floor drain. I run a dehumidifier which I feel does more than a fan. I will empty out close to a gallon of water a day after it snows and two vehicles in the garage. Buy a floor squeegee to push out the snow and water from time to time as well. Those floor mats look neat

A dehumidifier will really spin the meter and raise your electric bill a lot.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use a fan and a squeegee. Not a fan of water tracked in the house. The dogs don’t need wet paws when going out. Someday a garage heater and squeegee.

stalker

Founding Member
Founding Member
I find it works best to keep the cars parked outside. Garage parking is for pussies!

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had this same problem. A squeegee and the biggest thing is I left one of the windows open just a crack. That window makes all the difference in the world. Even when the temps are way below freezing. Just that little bit of air moving helps tremendously.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Ceiling heater, or hanging heaters with fans are more out of the way but a down draft heater on the floor is better for drying in my experience. Blows the hot air down at floor level which really helps drying. In most cases getting rid of the moisture is the biggest issue.

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heat, fàn and a dehumidifier works for me. I do mop as much as I can.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
A fan and some scrap cardboard under the car works wonders great for us. Replace the cardboard as necessary.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Used ceiling fan = $15

Retail products (mat, dehumidifier, etc.) = $40+ $200 + $30

I've never had a floor drain in the past, so having one now makes it all understandable. The snow melts and flows toward the drain and I have time for beer.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
IF its small amounts of water, a hammer drill might be all you need. Cement should be pourd on top of sand or crushed rock, a little water would likely go unnoticed and soak in ground underneath without any issues. Sounds like it shouldnt be cold enough in there to cause the ground under the cement to freeze, which could cause problems if there was much water in it. (dont sue me if your garage disappears into a sinkhole 10 years from now...)

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
A dehumidifier will really spin the meter and raise your electric bill a lot.

in reality that dehumidifier is generating heat to run. So you're just heating a little bit extra with electricity. Same with lights. No "wasted" energy in reality.

Also - cracking windows to lower humidity is equivalent to running a dehumidifier - because you're purposefully venting humid warm air to lower the overall humidity.

So unless you physically remove the water with a drain, cardboard, etc.... it's going to cost energy ($$$) to deal with it.

- - - Updated - - -

I've thought about installing a "sump" with a saw or jackhammer - but my floor isn't properly sloped for there to be a clear cut location.

Or I would install one (with no drain) with a grate - and use a shop vac to empty it once a month or whatever.

Draining down into the gravel makes me leery - not liking saltwater down there for some reason. (corrosion of rebar/mesh)

I know the rebar/mesh should be IN the floor - but....

- - - Updated - - -

I think I'm going to buy a dehumidifier with a hose attachment - and drain the salt-free humidifier water through a hole in the floor into the base material with a hose.

Thanks for the inspiration Lyc.

- - - Updated - - -

(attached garage with heater - no freezing under the slab)

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a garage floor that slopes toward the back of the garage. I try to mitigate the issue with a couple of fans. One runs constantly to help circulate heat but it will still hit the cabinets and work bench if its a significant amount of slush on each vehicle. I don't need to get much air exchange as the dogs run in and out of the dog door all day long. I'm just biding my time until we get into a different house with all the previously mentioned garage necessities.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Once air is saturated with water vapor fans don't do $hit - they're just pushing water-saturated air around.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
in reality that dehumidifier is generating heat to run. So you're just heating a little bit extra with electricity. Same with lights. No "wasted" energy in reality.

Also - cracking windows to lower humidity is equivalent to running a dehumidifier - because you're purposefully venting humid warm air to lower the overall humidity.

So unless you physically remove the water with a drain, cardboard, etc.... it's going to cost energy ($$$) to deal with it.

I ran a Portable Infrared Quartz Space Heater(see below) along with my fan, on an attached insulted garage ... this worked fairly well, with little difference in energy bill ... at times during lots of snow and slush accumulation I would also run dehumidifier...this was a noticeable spike in energy bill however it was also the most effective method for heating and removal of moisture .... 90% of the time I just ran the fan and things were fine

Portable Infrared Quartz.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 76