keeping garage floor dry

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Other when I wash vehicles, our garage floor stays very dry.

We have (2) floor drains. One up front near the vehicles and one back in the attached shop.

Garage is well insulated and attached to the house (2x4 stud walls). Garage always stays above freezing temp with only passive heating from the house (meaning heat loss from the house). For example, 32 degrees outdoors, garage is around 50 degrees. 0 degrees outdoors, around 35 degrees in the garage. (Assuming the wife doesn't leave the garage door open for more than driving a vehicle in/out. Otherwise it takes a long time to recover the heat loss from having the door open.)

The air exchange we have is primarily through driving vehicles in/out.

Ceiling is sheet rocked and then insulated with 6"+ of blown insulation.

Prior to driving snow covered vehicles into the garage, I try to get off 90% of the snow.

In the winter I install plastic sheets on the inside of the window frames to minimize heat loss/condensation/frost due to glass.

I like our setup.
The only thing I don't care for is the gas fired, floor mount furnace in the shop area. Even though there is a sealed combustion chamber (uses outside air for combustion), there is a lot of heat loss through that during the unused time. So lately, I am doing less and less out in the shop during the winter and I have covered the exhaust/intake vent to the outside when not in use.

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
My house in Fargo I had a ceiling fan and an electric Qmark electric heater above the service door but no floor drain. Floor sloped somewhat away from the house however pools would still form, but with the heater and fan it didn't take long for the floor to dry.

House in Bismarck, whomever poured my garage floor I'd like to shake their hands and buy them a beer. It doesn't matter where I pour water in there (3 car garage), it runs towards the drain. I'd like to get a ceiling fan installed at some point just to keep the air moving during the winter months.

REY_off

Founding Member
Founding Member
IF its small amounts of water, a hammer drill might be all you need. Cement should be pourd on top of sand or crushed rock, a little water would likely go unnoticed and soak in ground underneath without any issues. Sounds like it shouldnt be cold enough in there to cause the ground under the cement to freeze, which could cause problems if there was much water in it. (dont sue me if your garage disappears into a sinkhole 10 years from now...)

Don't do this.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m telling you, crack a window. Even if it’s just an inch. Two is better. This winter air is so dry it just drys that water right up silly gooses.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
http://matsforsplats.com

i have two if these in my garage because whoever made the garage floor couldn’t slope to a floor drain to save their lives. I squeegee to the drain or shop vac it then. I also run a fan and a dehumidifier. Sometimes I stoke the pellet burner. That’s some dry heat.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76