advisory meetings

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I wish they would ban baiting it has ruined the way people hunt ... some guy posted a video last week shooting a deer over a corn pile and was proud of it ... I'd be embarrassed. I have land and seed/plant 4-5 food plots totaling 18 acres every year but have never thrown out s bucket of corn.

I have no opinion one way or the other, but what you’re saying is that planting corn is ok, but dumping out corn isn’t? Makes perfect sense. What if you had to dump the corn out over so many acres. That would make it better?

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I asked a hunter recently that admitted to baiting, if that was cheating. They said, "No, it's legal".

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have some bait piles on some private land that I have access to. I haven't hunted over any of them. I like to set them out more to see what deer are in those areas. Its probably been 10 plus years since I shot anything over bait. My 10 year old son sat over bait one night this year and said he wanted to go back to the public land where it was more challenging. He is probably regretting that decision now that he hasn't filled his tag. There would be a lot of people that shoot big deer most years that would struggle if baiting is illegal. I think it would be kind of funny.

tman

Founding Member
Founding Member
In your opinion whats the difference between a small food plot and baiting? This is a question directed to 8andcou ting and everyone I guess but a small couple acre food plot and smaller is essentially the same thing as dumping out corn and putting a stand by it in my opinion

Last edited:

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
In your opinion whats the difference between a small food plot and baiting? This is a question directed to 8andcou ting and everyone I guess but a small couple acre food plot and smaller is essentially the same thing as dumping out corn and putting a stand by it in my opinion

Not even close!

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
First year that I've put food plots in for a long time. I also bait, the pheasants, squirrels, turkeys, and blue jays appreciate the bait as well. In my findings and opinion, Big bucks hit the bait at night, you might be able to get them there but mostly the bait brings in does and little bucks that just bust you in your stand. I admit that shooting a doe over bait would be easy and way less fun but i'm not going to complain when I want to put meat in the freezer. No one complains about guys shooting bears over bait. I've found that less corn in better so the deer come to check maybe eat alitte and then move on you don't want them camped in front of your stand.

Now on to food plots, the deer would walk right past my corn to get the plots, why eat dried out corn when there nice green leafy growth 100 yards away. This also seemed to get the deer to move earlier in the day and less at night. I don't see much of a difference with baiting and food plots especially if you hunt travel corridors, you are still congregating deer that normally wouldn't go that way and bringing deer from other areas.

As far as the advisory meetings, I’ve only gone to one and it seemed like an hour of worthless talking for 10 minutes of decent info. They aren’t bad to go to you can atleast voice your concerns whether they Listen or not. I remember we asked them about low partridge numbers and any plans for them and I got and answer of “yes the numbers are low” and the g&f guy sat back down and that was the end of the discussion on that.

Last edited:

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't really care if they ban baiting or not but stop using the disease scare tactic to push personal ethics on other people. There is no way in hell they are ever going to get deer to stop herding up in winter. It's what they do to survive FFS! Doesn't matter if they are herded up over a bait pile, in a food plat or some ranchers hay stack.

You can plant food plots and hunt over them and think you are better then everyone else but the bottom line is you are baiting plain and simple. No different then hunting near a water hole or an apple orchard. Those deer aren't coming to that location by happen stance, they are attracted to the food/water supply just like a bucket of corn or apples dumped on the ground.

And one more thing if you are baiting and hunting directly over the bait you are doing it wrong. The big bucks don't get to the bait until after dark. Hunt the trails to the bait.;)

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
2018-08-18 09.00.55.jpg

Saturn IV Launch System feeders are approximately 50' tall and the nuclear powered spinners spread corn over a 1.5 square mile area

no saliva exchange - so they are CWD friendly

carry on

- - - Updated - - -

NOW TAKING ORDERS FOR 2019!

HURRY - THE 3% DISCOUNT WON'T LAST LONG!

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
i guess way the way this thread its going is its turning into a moral/ehtical debate which there will be strong opinions on both sides with no one budging. but the real question should not be if banning makes it easy or not but will it even help with the whats intended or is it another "feel good restriction" my point of view is its another restriction that wont do a thing to prevent the spread of CWD so why even do it? maybe in southern states you could justify it maybe??? but in the northern plains where winters are a different animal and herding up is needed for survival why place this restriction on it ?? to feel good? I don't even have an armchair biology degree but if these biologist think banning baiting will slow the spread of CWD when its common to see upwards of 200 yarded up in the winter there either dumb, naïve, or using it for someones else agenda.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member

one is a food source placed with the sole purpose of attracting animals to a specific point to improve odds of a successful hunt and the other one is a food source placed with the sole purpose of attracting animals to a specific point to improve odds of a successful hunt

Holmsvc

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wish they would ban baiting it has ruined the way people hunt ... some guy posted a video last week shooting a deer over a corn pile and was proud of it ... I'd be embarrassed. I have land and seed/plant 4-5 food plots totaling 18 acres every year but have never thrown out s bucket of corn.

Not everyone has land. The people that do seem to forget that.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Baiting has the success rate for bow hunting at a much higher rate than anybody will admit

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I personally know my success rate is about the same, maybe slightly higher with baiting. What I do know is that my percentage of lost and wounded deer has gone down. Before bating my shots were usually longer and i'll be honest I screwed up sometimes. with bait my shot is usually 20 yards with a relaxed and unaware deer. Don't we try to make the cleanest fastest kills. Baiting wont hurt me one bit if I lose it, ill still shoot deer and I will still have decent success I had it before I could bait. I don't shoot big deer off my bait piles, they tend to come in at night until late winter when the drive for food has them coming in earlier. I've shot deer of my inlaws hay stacks in bad winters, is that baiting. what about mineral licks and small man made water holes. my habitat improvements and herd management has done more for me to kill deer than any baiting ever will.

This ethical arguments between hunters is bullshit, we all hunt differently and could argue all day long. Baiting, roost busting, long range hunting, all this things will hurt peoples feelers and most arguments are based off personal beliefs. We sound like the far leftists pushing our agenda on others. By the way let me hurt other peoples feelings by making sure they know I got a gratis tag this year, I probably should mention that I also shot a doe with that gratis because that was what I felt was best for the herd.

dblkluk

★★★ Legendary Member
Its pretty easy to see the impact baiting has had on bow hunting success rates when its nearly impossible to go on social media now days and see a picture of a bow killed whitetail and the story behind it not contain the words "He came in..."

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its pretty easy to see the impact baiting has had on bow hunting success rates when its nearly impossible to go on social media now days and see a picture of a bow killed whitetail and the story behind it not contain the words "He came in..."

ha ha ha - true dat

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
There isn't a lot of spot and stalk opportunities for whitetails considering their habitat and how land ownership is in that habitat, especially this state. We used to do drives for deer with archery equipment. It was effective to a point but the biggest bucks are taken by letting them come to you. Calling/rattling, scent lures or bait. So for the most part its always going to be "he came in".

dblkluk

★★★ Legendary Member
There isn't a lot of spot and stalk opportunities for whitetails considering their habitat and how land ownership is in that habitat, especially this state. We used to do drives for deer with archery equipment. It was effective to a point but the biggest bucks are taken by letting them come to you. Calling/rattling, scent lures or bait. So for the most part its always going to be "he came in".

I've shot a number of whitetails that have "come by" the stand I was in, and I've shot two that "came in" to the stand I was in. You decide which ones were over bait.
:D

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member

Just as an FYI - I don't bait deer - I can't for 2 reasons.
1: It's banned where I hunt
2: The cattle will eat it up before the deer would

with that said, the archery deer I got in 2013, 2014 and 2016 all came by the blind.

the archery deer I got in 2017 and 2018 all came in to the blind.

Depends on how a person looks at the situation. Just because the words "came in" are used doesn't automatically mean they are baiting.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75