advisory meetings

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do the surrounding states or Saskatchewan allow baiting? If not did they previously allow it and when did they outlaw it?

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
CWDmap.gif

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Baiting:
Twenty some years ago I began a program of habitat, food and water to bring deer to me instead of chasing them. It was a private thing and in my area I was probably one of the first. When I asked game and fish if I could do this 20 some years ago the person in Bismarck started laughing and told me all the rest were also laughing as the deer would come, eat the feed and you will never see a deer in the daylight. you betcha you, so fine go for it they said.

Latter I got into food plots, planted hundreds of trees and developing various sites for wildlife (Only problem was to many coons and elk found these spots). Food plots work well and really well when you have a weapon that kills 3-500 yards out. Not as good for a weapon going out 25-40 yards.
I assume they will not ban food plots but not sure why not. No different than a pile of corn. I think we all can agree that deer do herd up and even without baiting they will eat in the same spot and out of the same pile of hay or whatever the farmer/rancher has left out there. Or maybe the same tree twig.
I have hunted more years with a rifle until I gave it up in 98 for a bow but I think we can also all agree that rifle hunter and bow hunter are at odds for various reasons with some of those reasons wrong.

Over the years I have learn not to take game and fish words as gospel. Does baiting add to CWD, I would assume it does not help out. Does a year round habitat development along with food plots and providing food in the winter to help deer stay alive with more deer on hand? I would think so.

I am sure game and fish and others want baiting outlaw for a lot more reason than CWD. Neighbors got all the deer, the only effort I will put into deer is shooting at a box on Friday morning and then shooting a deer were ever I find one, so called ethics, ect.

For those reason in time baiting, food plots will be gone using CWD control as the reason.
Will be interesting when it happens and how all the baiters will survive. There will be changes with some good and some not so good.

I will adapt and survive as I will need to if I am to continue. DB

- - - Updated - - -

My personal agenda is that game and fish and Canada need to work together on what the goals our with elk in the turtle mountains.
A different habitat and environment on each side of the line. db

Last edited:

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Attempts don’t stop zebra mussels from ruining lakes permanently. Everyone should head to panny world just across the border and see what zebra mussels do to lakes. For the NDGF to do basically nothing to stop that shows their ignorance and laziness.

Name one that is permanently ruined or has ruined fishing (not changed). I'll wait.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sodak does not and dont know when they banned it
It must have been more than 25 years ago. It was always illegal while I grew up there. It didn't even occur to me that baiting was a possibility until I moved to ND. It still feels weird when I do it.

Last edited:

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
so were concerned with the little guy that gets what 6-8 deer on a pile of corn but not a word 2 months later when 50-200 stack up in silage yards......makes sense......

- - - Updated - - -

better put restrictions on silage piles, when where, how many, must be "x" feet apart as to not congregate deer????

- - - Updated - - -

grandmas garden is no longer......fruit orchards...donzo.....

there freaking animals if they dont group up here there go0nna group up there or there or there its how they survive winters

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've heard that they found a deer and a elk north of Portal with CWD

dblkluk

★★★ Legendary Member
It's a fee used to help stop ans from fisherman. MT charges like 15$ for NR and 3$ for residents. All out of state boats need to be inspected before being put into any water body.

MT's ANS system is SERIOUSLY flawed. They only charge fisherman the fee and not the countless people recreating in rafts, inner tubes, ski boats and pontoons. I gladly pay the fee..but Hell I'd happily pay double the current fee as long as the recreational boaters were getting charged as well.

WY has good system. Mandatory checks for all boats coming in and a flat fee for all watercraft, not just those with a fishing lisc.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not to mention Montana is about to ship a bitch load of Eurasian millfoil into Lake Sakakawea! Be curious to see what that stuff does in the Harbors down in Bismarck.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
If they’re so concerned with cwd why the hell not ban baiting completely. At least until they can come up with a solution for it. Or does the bow hunting lobby have far too much power?

Because you can’t ban the rut or wintering herds which spreads CWD a whole lot more efficiently than Jed’s bait pile.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Feeding deer will save them in a bad winter. The NDGF used to do this. Banning baiting won’t affect me a bit just rid the competition.

- - - Updated - - -

I would bet most of the trophy hunts for white tails in Canada are over bait piles. They use bails more than corn and grain up there.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't bait. bowhunt public land trail watching. Don't care if it's banned but know several guys that will be pissed. I would say pandoras box has been opened and it will be hard to shut down baiting on private land. A couple generations, that's all some know. My son is 21. All his buddies that bow hunt are over piles

Last edited:

tman

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's all about getting youngsters involved right? Well how many young kids are going to go sit in a bow stand and see maybe one deer that come into range and odds are it will be a little spike or doe you think they are going to stick with this awesome sport of hunting? Also lots of people saying to much bowhunting pressure and not enough mature mulies in the badlands well expect that to go up cause I know myself and lots of other wont waste time bow hunting in the flatland and treeless part of central north dakota if they ban baiting statewide. I will be heading out to the badlands chasing mulies and just today alone I have talked to 12 others that's have said the same thing.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
I didn't know deer kissed during the rut. the shit you learn on this site

They stick their tongue in the does bung hole. I’m pretty sure it doesn’t have to be mouth to mouth only. Plus there’s the whole....penetration thing. Ssshhhhh

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
If they’re so concerned with cwd why the hell not ban baiting completely. At least until they can come up with a solution for it. Or does the bow hunting lobby have far too much power?

I wish they would ban baiting it has ruined the way people hunt ... some guy posted a video last week shooting a deer over a corn pile and was proud of it ... I'd be embarrassed. I have land and seed/plant 4-5 food plots totaling 18 acres every year but have never thrown out s bucket of corn.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 166
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76