Late Season Bow Hunting

drayweb

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Was thinking of using my Eskimo Ice Fishing shelter as a ground blind. It's bright red. Deer are color blind, right? I think the windows come out so I can shoot through it.

- - - Updated - - -

Either that, or use the ice anchors that came with the Eskimo to stake down my camo blind since the ground is frozen. I hunt public land.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd go the camo route , use whatever stakes u have . That'll fit in better . This is best time of the year to hunt . Out of all the nice deer I've shot with bow most have been in mid to late December . Right now where I'm at the rut is still going strong , too strong . It'll get better here in a week they'll be coming to the food plots better. Bucks still cruising too much right now .

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Deer are NOT color blind, they actually have similar eyesight to humans, but they do see better in low light. They see in slightly different wavelengths but they do see color.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I would not use the red. Especially on public land. It would stick out like a red eskimo pop up fishing blind in the woods, which is more obvious than the standard sore thumb. If you put in a blind this time of year, brush it in really well. The deer are extra wary after the gun season, especially on public land.

A few years ago, I killed my biggest bow buck at 10 yards while tucked up under a pine tree.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
Deer will get used to a pickup parked there if u leave it for a few days.

But im confused by your post. You have a Camo blind made for hunting but want to use a bright red ice house why?

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
Deer will get used to a pickup parked there if u leave it for a few days.

But im confused by your post. You have a Camo blind made for hunting but want to use a bright red ice house why?

Thats where I'm confused too ... if u have a camo one then what's the point of this post

drayweb

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The ice fishing shelter is easier to stake down with the ice anchors, especially since the ground is frozen. I have an attachment that hooks into my cordless drill.

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
Set rocks on the anchor loops. Then it gives you a reason to walking through the neighbors, looking for that Booner that's been eluding you all season......:;:smokin

Vollmers

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Since it's public land I'd be a lot less pissed if somebody stole my $99 blind vs. my $300 hub ice house. :;:thumbsup

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where are you located at? If you're in central ND I can give you some railroad spikes. They are about 8 inches long and over half an inch thick. I've been using them for our ground blinds and unless you have 80+ mph winds, your blind will stay in place. My cheapo ameristep blind had 6 of these and all the loops ripped before any of the spikes came out of the ground.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74