Venison Roast Recipes

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I would fight a rabid wolverine for a plate of that. Looks wonderful.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well everyone i did the roast last night. Turned out better then i thought and even the wife liked it! Justed used an applewood dry rub from scheels and followed the instructions given earlier in this post using the grill. I think the only thing i would do next time is maybe try and get is a smoke flavor of some sort.

Looks good. almost wanted to pull out the pocket knife to stab a piece:;:thumbsup

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
Small meatloaf pan full of damp smoking chips right when you put the roast on to sear.

I give that a try next time, I never thought of doing. I was to concerned about following the other directions for this first. lol Thanks for the advice.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
By damp do you mean moist?

Yes.

Cold-smoking with an Amazin’ smoking tube and some pellets before you ever put any heat to the roast works well too.

On the BGE I throw a few smoking chips into the hot coals just as I cut the air down for the low-temp portion of the cooking.

If using a tin meatloaf pan food the sides in to keep the chips smoldering instead of burning.

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
latest batch of pastrami worked out great

2020-01-25 12.19.06.jpg
this is a small "test muscle" about the size of half a hot dog bun - so the slices look ridiculously thick - ha ha

I weighed each muscle and rubbed each with the appropriate weight of salt/spice (I have a nice balance left over from dealing cocaine). The muscles then sat in fridge in vacuum bags for five days - rotating every few days

After that they are removed from bag, rinsed really well and patted dry. Then a coriander/blk pepper, garlic, onion rub for one day to form the crusty smoking pellicle. Here they are pelliclizing.

2020-01-22 20.27.29.jpg

Next day they were smoked in a Bradley for 3 hours at 210 until they hit an IT of 160F.

Made pastrami with the entire upper hind of the muzzleloader buck (16 lb)

The big muscles were all cut into 0.5 to 1.5 lb chunks - bagged - and frozen.

To eat the pastrami you thaw it out, then poach in water or broth for a couple hours, slice and serve.

Like picnic hams, pastrami needs to be steamed/boiled prior to serving or it's hella salty. Haven't made reubens yet but will soon and I'll post pics.

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
latest batch of pastrami worked out great

1VfyevjDYwjw.jpg
this is a small "test muscle" about the size of half a hot dog bun - so the slices look ridiculously thick - ha ha

I weighed each muscle and rubbed each with the appropriate weight of salt/spice (I have a nice balance left over from dealing cocaine). The muscles then sat in fridge in vacuum bags for five days - rotating every few days

After that they are removed from bag, rinsed really well and patted dry. Then a coriander/blk pepper, garlic, onion rub for one day to form the crusty smoking pellicle. Here they are pelliclizing.

1782C9D7-4B65-4589-8200-42F92DBFA18B.jpg

Next day they were smoked in a Bradley for 3 hours at 210 until they hit an IT of 160F.

Made pastrami with the entire upper hind of the muzzleloader buck (16 lb)

The big muscles were all cut into 0.5 to 1.5 lb chunks - bagged - and frozen.

To eat the pastrami you thaw it out, then poach in water or broth for a couple hours, slice and serve.

Like picnic hams, pastrami needs to be steamed/boiled prior to serving or it's hella salty. Haven't made reubens yet but will soon and I'll post pics.

holy crap that looks delicious!

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
How many pounds of that for a trade on my bottle of Crown Royal?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77