Venison Roast Recipes

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
Hey all,

Looking at trying to make my first venison roast. Wondering if anyone has any good recipes they like and or tips and tricks to make one? Was thinking of doing a recipe where I can just throw it in the croquet pot and let it do its thing, but open to suggestions.

TIA

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pretty much all my roasts get the same treatment. Put it in the crock pot with a ranch dressing packet, an Italian dressing seasoning packet, a packet of brown gravy and a beer. Put onions and carrots in and cook it low and slow. Later add potatoes or just cook them on the side and I use the juices to make my own gravy right before I eat.

I’ve done this with venison,beef, and even pork roasts

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cover in melted butter or olive oil, season to taste. Place roast on 600 degree+ grill for 2-3min/side to sear exterior. Move roast to indirect heat by either shutting down gas zones, using tinfoil, a diffuser, whatever it takes to get to indirect heat (if you're using charcoal or have a smoking-ship pan, add smoking chips/pellets now) and finish @ 200-225 degrees until internal temp reaches ~130. Let stand tented under tinfoil for ~10min. Slice thin and savor.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cover in melted butter or olive oil, season to taste. Place roast on 600 degree+ grill for 2-3min/side to sear exterior. Move roast to indirect heat by either shutting down gas zones, using tinfoil, a diffuser, whatever it takes to get to indirect heat (if you're using charcoal or have a smoking-ship pan, add smoking chips/pellets now) and finish @ 200-225 degrees until internal temp reaches ~130. Let stand tented under tinfoil for ~10min. Slice thin and savor.

i just did that a few weeks back and i need more deer roast.

deer roast.jpg

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member

this sounds interesting! think I will give it a try. do you brine the roast first? As far as the indirect heat goes on a grill, are u saying wrap the roast in tin foil or place in a tin baking pan thing and then get the grill down to 200-225*? how long would u estimate it takes to cook on the grill like that?

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
buy a meat thermometer it will save you lots of trouble as the time will always vary.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
this sounds interesting! think I will give it a try. do you brine the roast first? As far as the indirect heat goes on a grill, are u saying wrap the roast in tin foil or place in a tin baking pan thing and then get the grill down to 200-225*? how long would u estimate it takes to cook on the grill like that?

I don't brine although you could, I just never have.

If you're cooking on charcoal, I'd lift the grate and move the coals to one side. Wrapping in foil or tin baking pan doesn't matter much, whichever you've got handy. If you're cooking on a gas grill, turn OFF at least 1 zone and using the top rack wouldn't hurt either.

Regarding time, I put 130 degrees specifically because I use a meat thermometer exclusively, no guessing. Depending on how big of a roast you're doing it's 20-40min once you are down to the low-temp portion of cooking.

DO NOT go lifting the grill hood/cover every 10 min and slicing the roast during the low/slow period to see if it's done yet. Stick the thermometer in and leave the doggone grill closed.

Anyone who touches the grill/oven door other than the cook should be subject to having their fingers slapped, with a ball-peen hammer. The cook had better have a good deliberate fuggin reason to be opening the grill/oven or they need to be replaced immediately and mocked repeatedly.

If you do this and your's doesn't look like the pic KurtR posted above, you screwed up somewhere, Kurt's is perfect.

Last edited:

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
thanks for the tips and advice guys! cant wait to give this a try. I will post with my results when I do this.. either sunday or Monday its going to happen

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Try browning it with salt and pepper, put in crock pot with 1 onion cut in half and 2 or 3 cloves of garlic and some beef bouillon with just a little water

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I’ve never eaten a crockpot venison roast that I truly craved again. I just cooked them because I had them. Last few years I’ve just ground them up because I do love venison/pork burger and I go through a bunch of it. Sdmf and Kurt May have changed my mind going forward looks delish

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Received good advice many years ago. Was told "To have the best venison roast you need to make sure that just before you shoot the deer, it still has milk on its lips." Don't receive much meat off a young deer but "Oh my, are they tender and tasty."

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
definitely after - and longer than just a quick instant char

so I sous vide to rare for instance... then I give it the onion on grill or cast iron long enoug to end up with medium ring and ends

that way galwhofishes (a medium liker) has hers, I get mine medium rare to rare in the center

on some cuts the rare isn’t the best - on others it is - by charring a little longer than is often suggested at the end I am sort of able to hedge our bets by ending up with a little variation

BTW - I can’t see the video on my iphone - just a blank entry - maybe others can’t see it either (SDMF)

- - - Updated - - -

crockpots are for those who’ve lost all hope and are just going to throw in the towel

ha ha ha

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
How about seasoning? I've found most of my shit gets a bit over powering after 48 hours.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve drifted toward sea salt, coarse black pepper, and a puff of cayenne for nearly every whole meat I sear nowadays - tuna too

I’ve grown accustomed toward making wine/berry reductions for contrasting flavor of the meat - let the meat be the meat

a port wine reduction with currant jelly melted into it is a fav of mine

basically a high-powered contrasting drizzle I can adjust at the plate with each bite for flavor (not for tuna - ha ha)

the cranberry/turkey contrast type thing I ate as a kid has got me now - bad - seared whole meat without it blows

dove poppers also HAVE to have a zingy berry sauce for dipping - depressing if not available

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77